PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad is driving me nuts.

Komentra
May 22, 2012, 07:48 AM
I love Lion and love Launchpad but it's severely broken. For example, you install the Adobe Suite. You'll end up with TONS of icons on your launchpad, programs, uninstallers, and various other things.

And now I am having problems removing icons from Launchpad for programs I have already uninstalled. For example, I bought and installed Bejeweled 3 from Steam. This put a Bejeweled 3 icon in Launchpad and then I uninstalled the game and the icon is STILL in Launchpad. Holding down the icons until they wobble (how you remove apps in all iOS devices) doesn't help because there is no "X" to delete it.

I've just made some random folders and put them on the last possible page for the icons that I don't need on there. Surely there is another option, right? My launchpad is a mess of icons everywhere for programs I either don't use or programs I no longer have installed.

Is there something I am missing? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Lunfai
May 22, 2012, 07:58 AM
I love Lion and love Launchpad but it's severely broken. For example, you install the Adobe Suite. You'll end up with TONS of icons on your launchpad, programs, uninstallers, and various other things.

And now I am having problems removing icons from Launchpad for programs I have already uninstalled. For example, I bought and installed Bejeweled 3 from Steam. This put a Bejeweled 3 icon in Launchpad and then I uninstalled the game and the icon is STILL in Launchpad. Holding down the icons until they wobble (how you remove apps in all iOS devices) doesn't help because there is no "X" to delete it.

I've just made some random folders and put them on the last possible page for the icons that I don't need on there. Surely there is another option, right? My launchpad is a mess of icons everywhere for programs I either don't use or programs I no longer have installed.

Is there something I am missing? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

In Mountain Lion DP 3 Update 2 (12A206J), it's fixed this for me. I installed CS6 on Update 1, which installed dozens of new icons to un-installers and configuration apps to Adobe products, but once I installed Update 2 or Adobe updates (?), it removed them from Launchpad. As for Lion, I don't know if it's going to be implemented/fixed, but you can use this useful tool that I used to use:

http://chaosspace.de/launchpad-control/

Komentra
May 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
In Mountain Lion DP 3 Update 2 (12A206J), it's fixed this for me. I installed CS6 on Update 1, which installed dozens of new icons to un-installers and configuration apps to Adobe products, but once I installed Update 2 or Adobe updates (?), it removed them from Launchpad. As for Lion, I don't know if it's going to be implemented/fixed, but you can use this useful tool that I used to use:

I believe that I have tried to use that program before but upon restarting the computer the changes were not saved and the icons were back how they were. Maybe I was using a older version, idk. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

zone23
May 22, 2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks a lot this worked like a charm on my MacBook Pro. Definitely a must have IMO. The ability to sort icons alphabetically was a plus. Hard to believe this app was free. A+ in my book. Can't wait to clean up my iMac too. Also the changes were still applied after reboot.

THANKS AGAIN for sharing..

fisherking
May 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
launchpad control is a little buggy sometimes...backup your db in the app in case you need to restore it (i do occasionally)..

but totally worth it. i have ONE PAGE in launchpad, with the icons i want, where i want them..

(now if i could just make the icons a little smaller...) :confused:

robgendreau
May 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
Why stick with a dog?

There are many non-Apple launchers out there. I prefer LaunchBar, but there's also Quicksilver, LaunchMagic, etc. DockView, while not a launcher per se, is also quite handy. Apple's LaunchPad is like one of those throw-away utilities you get for free when you buy something else. It's like Apple's engineers haven't been paying attention to what's out there for years.

Rob

fisherking
May 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
it's become both essential and un-intrusive. whatever i'm doing, a quick swipe on my trackpad and i can open a needed app, or even bring an open app to the front.

i didn't like it at first, now i use it all the time..

PurrBall
May 22, 2012, 05:06 PM

I noticed mine were gone after the latest DP update as well. It seems they've changed how items in the Utilities folder are shown.

Lunfai
May 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
I noticed mine were gone after the latest DP update as well. It seems they've changed how items in the Utilities folder are shown.

Yeah, I knew someone else from another forum who noticed they were fixed after updating. Most of the office ones disappeared too.

throAU
May 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
To get rid of launchpad icons that are still there for uninstalled apps, try to use the launchpad icon.

launchpad will put a symbol over it, then you can delete it using the wobbly icons method (it will then enable a X on it)

Komentra
May 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
Why stick with a dog?

There are many non-Apple launchers out there. I prefer LaunchBar, but there's also Quicksilver, LaunchMagic, etc. DockView, while not a launcher per se, is also quite handy. Apple's LaunchPad is like one of those throw-away utilities you get for free when you buy something else. It's like Apple's engineers haven't been paying attention to what's out there for years.

Rob

I like to have it all organized even if I don't use it. OCD, I guess. I already use Alfred as my launcher which works great.

To get rid of launchpad icons that are still there for uninstalled apps, try to use the launchpad icon.

launchpad will put a symbol over it, then you can delete it using the wobbly icons method (it will then enable a X on it)

Like I said it doesn't show a "X". It just wobbles.

throAU
May 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
It will once you've tried try to launch the app from launchpad when the app doesn't exist and then go back to the wobbly screen to delete it. Have done this several times myself.

Sylon
Jun 9, 2012, 09:36 PM

I wanted to say thanks for this. I was looking for something to keep my LP icons from always moving around on me. I like to keep things organized. And, it helped hide those useless icons.

Lunfai
Jun 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
I wanted to say thanks for this. I was looking for something to keep my LP icons from always moving around on me. I like to keep things organized. And, it helped hide those useless icons.

NP, Mountain Lion will fix this problem. I think Adobe can push out an update for Lion to fix this issue, it's because when CS6 shipped, they were still in the midst of contacting Apple for a solution.