Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanK104

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I have two old G4 eMacs, one is 1 GHz, the other is 1.25 GHz. They have been sitting in a closet for a while and I now want to give them away. Before I do, I want to reinstall the system software.

My question is which system would be best to install? They now have 10.5.8 (Leopard) on them. Should I reinstall that, or would an older system be better? I know that an older system can be faster. I do have most systems available on disk. Would there be an advantage to backtrack to Tiger?

Any suggestions?

Also, how about iLife? What would be the best version that will work on a PowerPC?

Thanks!
Dan

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My 1.25Ghz came to me with Tiger on it. I put Leopard on it instead. Seems faster with Leopard. If you can, put at least 1Gb in both machines to make Leopard run better.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
iLife '09 is the latest that supports Power PCs, but you will need iMovie HD; the newer iMovie requires intel processors.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If you are giving these to people who are going to try and use them as everyday computers, the Leopard is the only way to go. Tiger may feel a little faster, but software options and security updates for Tiger are just too old right now IMO.

Lwllis

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
I agree leopard .
I'm in the process of reinstalling leopard on mine right now .
Posted from iPhone

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
...Well, seems I'm a bit late to the party. :p Nonetheless, I must go against the majority and suggest Tiger. I don't have any real statistics or anything, but when I bought my eMac, it came with Leopard on it. It was slower than I was used to compared to my 1.3 GHz iBook G4 running Tiger at the time, but I attributed that to the 512 MB of RAM it had. Well, I bumped it to 1.5 GB... it was faster, but still slower than my iBook. I wiped Leopard and installed Tiger.. the difference was incredible. If you don't mind having old versions of software, Tiger is much faster and more stable than Leopard in my humble opinion. However, I do understand that a lot of people may need/want the latest application versions possible, so Leopard may indeed be the most viable choice. However, speed only considered - Tiger for sure. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.