Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Running Mountain Lion here, I have purchased Lion through the mac app store previously. Best way to downgrade to Lion?

It wont me download Lion because I'm running Mountain Lion.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Perform a Clean Install of OS X Lion on Your Mac

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find dozens of similar threads while you wait for more answers:

I appreciate your help, but this obviously isn't a viable option, if you fully read my post that is:

What You Need to Install Lion

The Lion installer. The Mac App Store is the only place to get a copy of Lion.

I can't download Lion from the Mac App Store.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Do you know using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion? That way you could use that computer using your account credentials to download Mac OS X 10.7 Lion again and doing the following: Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

Unfortunately I screwed myself over on overwriting my install of 10.7 with 10.8 No other macs and no other non 10.8 installs.

Am I really stuck with going all the way back through 10.6 to get this back to 10.7? Ughh.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Unfortunately I screwed myself over on overwriting my install of 10.7 with 10.8 No other macs and no other non 10.8 installs.

Am I really stuck with going all the way back through 10.6 to get this back to 10.7? Ughh.

I forgot a word in my second reply, "someone", thus it should have said "Do you know someone using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?".
But if you don't using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard first is the only way.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I forgot a word in my second reply, "someone", thus it should have said "Do you know someone using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?".
But if you don't using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard first is the only way.

Ahh I see I'll have to look around. This is silly.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I'm sure you've heard about some of those websites. Go to one and download yourself a copy of Lion > burn it to a DVD > create a new partition in Disk Utility > boot to the install DVD > install Lion on the new partition.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure you've heard about some of those websites. Go to one and download yourself a copy of Lion > burn it to a DVD > create a new partition in Disk Utility > boot to the install DVD > install Lion on the new partition.

Is the Lion install you get from those websites tied to a specific mac app store account? Like, if I were to download Lion legit from the MAS, is it tied to my account in any way?

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Is the Lion install you get from those websites tied to a specific mac app store account? Like, if I were to download Lion legit from the MAS, is it tied to my account in any way?

You should be able to find the ESD image that doesn't have account details tied to it.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
May I ask why you are downgrading to Lion?

I am on ML DP3 (12A206j) and I have to tell you, both my desktop and laptop are running like champs.

In fact, I find ML a huge improvement over Lion just in overall speed.

I have at least 3 dozen applications in my dock and I don't think I am having a problem with any one of them not properly working.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
May I ask why you are downgrading to Lion?

I am on ML DP3 (12A206j) and I have to tell you, both my desktop and laptop are running like champs.

In fact, I find ML a huge improvement over Lion just in overall speed.

I have at least 3 dozen applications in my dock and I don't think I am having a problem with any one of them not properly working.

Two things over the past days have happened and trying to figure out of its ML or my hardware. I have a thread open in the MBP forum.

My computer literally turned off this morning and wouldn't turn back on for several minutes. the battery was at ~50%. the battery indicator lights wouldnt even turn on. :/

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Hmmm.

I am on a 2009 MBP and Mountain Lion is working beautifully.

I didn't even partitian my drive. I am running it as a straight-out OS.

I'm not so certain that ML is the problem here, but then again, I don't know what version you are using and how old your MBP is.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Hmmm.

I am on a 2009 MBP and Mountain Lion is working beautifully.

I didn't even partitian my drive. I am running it as a straight-out OS.

I'm not so certain that ML is the problem here, but then again, I don't know what version you are using and how old your MBP is.

13" 2010

I'm not running the latest version, I think DP 1 or 2.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Uhm, yeah, DP1 not good. DP2 maybe.

Those versions are a lot more buggier than DP3.

Thing is, I don't think you can do a software update from the App Store on DP1 or DP2. I could be wrong about that.

And with your Mac not even turning on, I don't think it would matter anyway.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Uhm, yeah, DP1 not good. DP2 maybe.

Those versions are a lot more buggier than DP3.

Thing is, I don't think you can do a software update from the App Store on DP1 or DP2. I could be wrong about that.

And with your Mac not even turning on, I don't think it would matter anyway.

It's on now, it figured it's **** out after a few minutes. Anyway downloading Lion from a great source.

richardheath94

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
ML DP3 -> ML Customer Version

Hi all,

I am running ML DP3 as my main OS on my :apple: 2010 MB Air, and it is as smooth as can be! not a single problem - plus it is getting constantly update via. the app store; very impressive.

However, I read somewhere that it is impossible to upgrade from ML DP3 to the retail version... you must be running Lion. Any ideas on this??

i really want to have my computer ready for the next OS retail version, but I'm not sure how to get back to Lion easily!

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have actually read differently on this forum.

You can indeed upgrade from Mountain Lion DP to the final version.

However, I am interested in getting the definitive word.

richardheath94

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012

richardheath94

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Ah, I see. I have faith that this is the case again this year... but if I was to purchase Mountain Lion from the App Store, would it still install or not?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Richard,

I don't know if anyone outside of Apple could answer that question.

On the one hand, I would think developers would get the final Gold Master from Apple (as they did with Snow Leopard) which could be installed over the DP.

On the other hand, Apple may have absolutely changed things up this time around and there will be no means of installing the final release over the DP.

After all, Apple has it in writing that it can't be done, as you pointed out.

All we have to rely on is that we were able to do it with Snow Leopard.

Best bet? Do as I did. Have a copy of your Lion system backed up on an external drive just in case.

richardheath94

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
you are completely right, but due to a hastily poor decision from me, I am almost certain all my backups are now 10.8 (i know, rookie error).

so, I'm thinking I wait until 10.8 is released, see if it is possible; if not - I'll format my HD and reinstall lion - using a version on one of my friend's laptop (via recovery usb).

Do you think this is the best plan of action? Thanks for the help, too.

ps., is there a way of checking what OS a backup is of? I may indeed have a Time Capsule backup of 10.7, but im not sure...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have actually read differently on this forum.

You can indeed upgrade from Mountain Lion DP to the final version.

However, I am interested in getting the definitive word.
How can anyone know the upgrade is posisble when Apple has said it won't be possible and the released version of Mountain Lion isn't available to try.

At this point the best answer is "Maybe. Apple said no, but for previous OS releases, it has worked. We'll know when Mountain Lion is released and available."

ps., is there a way of checking what OS a backup is of? I may indeed have a Time Capsule backup of 10.7, but im not sure...
One way is by the date of course. Was the backup from before Mountain Lion DPs were available.

Another way is to check the backup for an application or file that Mountain Lion has that wasn't in Lion. Notification Center files? Messages?

Last edited:

richardheath94

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
How can anyone know the upgrade is posisble when Apple has said it won't be possible and the released version of Mountain Lion is available to try.

Haha very true. but, isn't this site all about speculation? :D

also, thanks bear, i will try that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.