Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
i am so upset with the prices of ram on apples website. i saw in a computer magazine, an ad for memory from a reputable 3rd party, 512mb for pc133 (i am talking for an ibook which takes pc133) the module is only 46 dollars. that is a savings of over 350 dollars from apples website. can i use this? or do i have to buy the memory from some place like crucial which sells specific ones like affiliated with the ibook.

i am on a tight budget so this is really important to me as the 128 mb included barely runs OS X (i tried one in our schools library)

please email all replies to webmaster@thejokevault.com

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
yeah, go for it. apple isn't a major ram seller, so they sell at a hgiher price w/ a hgher margin. its the same ram the bigger sellers use, who operate on high volume with thinner margins. check out ramseeker.com for some great deals on ram.

crucial is pretty cheap and i've heard good things about them.

ram is ram, so long as it meets the specs for the machine.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Theres no difference in RAM? Do some draw less power (good for batt life) or give off less heat (good for heat issues)? Ram from MemoryX is $180 per 512 MB, but it's "high quality", and "apple certified". Ya'll are saying that means nothing?

Just wondering...

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
whoa nelly i messed up big time. i forgot that the ibook takes special low-profile so-dimms,

those 45 dollar ones are regular dimms for a pc notebook or desktop i think. i will have to call them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.