PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp: Restart while partitioning

neuroMadness
May 23, 2012, 08:54 AM
I used Bootcamp Assistant to create a 35GB bootcamp partition. While the disk was partitioning the screen went black and the MacBook Pro stopped responding.

After forcing the computer to reboot (by holding down the Power button), Mac OS loaded as usual but the free space in the main hard disk was reduced by 35GBs.

Disk utility doesn't show any bootcamp partitions -just the main hard disk.

Should I assume that Bootcamp Assistant created somewhere a temporary partition that doesn't show?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?

Many thanks!

gentlefury
May 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
I used Bootcamp Assistant to create a 35GB bootcamp partition. While the disk was partitioning the screen went black and the MacBook Pro stopped responding.

After forcing the computer to reboot (by holding down the Power button), Mac OS loaded as usual but the free space in the main hard disk was reduced by 35GBs.

Disk utility doesn't show any bootcamp partitions -just the main hard disk.

Should I assume that Bootcamp Assistant created somewhere a temporary partition that doesn't show?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?

Many thanks!

First thing to do is log into the recovery utility (on lion, its on the hdd, on anything below lion its on the install disk) you should be able to see all partitions in the disk utility there. I would suggest repairing disk permissions and repairing any errors on the drive. If that doesn't fix it, make sure you have a time machine backup, wipe the entire disk and recovery from time machine. If that doesn't work, you will need disk warrior (that will work, unless the hdd is trashed)

goRoostr
May 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
... Or try going into BootCamp assistant again, go to remove bootcamp partition ( or whatever its called) and see if the partition shows up. If it does remove it, and then start the process over again.

neuroMadness
May 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
First thing to do is log into the recovery utility (on lion, its on the hdd, on anything below lion its on the install disk) you should be able to see all partitions in the disk utility there. I would suggest repairing disk permissions and repairing any errors on the drive.

Repairing the disk via Recovery Utility did the trick!

Many many thanks!

... Or try going into BootCamp assistant again, go to remove bootcamp partition ( or whatever its called) and see if the partition shows up. If it does remove it, and then start the process over again.

Unfortunately the partition didn't show on BootCamp either :( but thanks for the reply!