Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
When trying to send a message to a contacts mobile number that's on iOS5 - It says that they're not available for iMessage.

Do you need their email address for it to work?

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Yup, as I said in the OP he is on iOS5 and uses iMessage on his iP4 to message other iPhone users running iOS5 just fine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When trying to send a message to a contacts mobile number that's on iOS5 - It says that they're not available for iMessage.

Do you need their email address for it to work?

No you don't need their email address, you can just send it to their mobile number. I believe by default iMessage is not turned on in iOS5, you may need to tell your friend to turn it on.

I have to text a few friends and ask then to turn it on.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
UK
No you don't need their email address, you can just send it to their mobile number. I believe by default iMessage is not turned on in iOS5, you may need to tell your friend to turn it on.

I have to text a few friends and ask then to turn it on.

But that's just it.. It IS on. There were about 6 people with iOS5 in my living room using iMessage on their iPhones.

I messaged everybody from my Macbook other than one person which said he's unavailable for iMessage (Even though he was using it right there and then)

Max.Davis

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Anyway, try to add e-mail address of your contacts, because time to time Messages can't identify just by phone number. I passed this issue and since I've added e-mail address to contacts it's just works. Miracles don't happen :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.