Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BryanMcN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I have a mac osx application that relies on a number of tools (libusb, twain-sane interface, sane backends, and imageMagick) and I'm not sure how to redistribute these. I'm new to the mac world so please don't assume I know anything . I was lucky that these tools had their own package installers, but that doesn't help me for redistribution.

For imageMagick for example I was planning to include the source and then configure and make install it, but when I tried this myself I found that I didn't have a C compiler and had to download XCode and command line tools in order for it to work. I imagine anyone downloading my app would run into a similar problem, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Am I meant to build these ahead of time and then on install move them to /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/lib where appropriate? Any help would be appricated, thanks.

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany
You mean having the 4 packages + my app itself shown on the splash screen?

I was suggesting that you include the stuff you need inside the folder that is your app as just another resource. That way you have no external dependencies. The referencing to licensing was because there is a difference between calling another program and actually shipping it so you would need to check the license conditions to see if that is OK. For most open source products it will be fine, with some caveats, but that is a question to be resolved by you reading your license agreement and/or consulting with a lawyer etc. One of those caveats may be that you need to put acknowledgements on your splash screen but only by reading the relevant license agreements will you be able to tell what is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.