Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I'm using a bumper and just tonight I took off my pealing invisible shield back protector.

I figure, if the back really gets scratched, Apple replaces the back plate for $20 which is basically what the shield costs.

What do you guys and girls do?

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I've used a back protector since I got the 4. At first I used to get the matte protectors from phantomskinz, but now I have a eBay cheapo clear one and it shows a ton of scratches against the black. I guess it's better than being on the actual glass though.

onlyjjp

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I always wondered if you can get the back replaced(paying the $30) for just having scratches on it. Is this true?

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
naked and mine has been fine, not rough on my iphone but I use it a lot. I have a white iphone 4s , so any screen on the back like invisashield turnes blue! haha

thats why I took mine off

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I always wondered if you can get the back replaced(paying the $30) for just having scratches on it. Is this true?

I wouldn't see why not... I mean, if they don't let you you can always just purposely chip the glass (carefully).

----------

naked and mine has been fine, not rough on my iphone but I use it a lot. I have a white iphone 4s , so any screen on the back like invisashield turnes blue! haha

thats why I took mine off

THANK YOU! I'm not the only one that this happens to! It looks so weird. I always assumed my case was turning it blue.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I had one on both the front and back and then one day I had an epiphany. (Probably only because my warranty lasts until next year..) Now I don't use either.. I just use it naked at home no screen protectors and when I go out I stick it in my ZooGue case.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I'm using the one that came with my SGP neo hybrid II case. works good, didn't have it until last year.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I always put something on the back. I hate cases, I hate screen protectors, but I like to set my phone down on the back without worries. I have a Trunket now, I've used Zagg Leathskins before, and just today I ordered a Monolith wood back.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I always put something on the back. I hate cases, I hate screen protectors, but I like to set my phone down on the back without worries. I have a Trunket now, I've used Zagg Leathskins before, and just today I ordered a Monolith wood back.

I know what you mean. But I've got a bumper on there so it has some lay on the table design to help.

adamlee

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Having an iphone comes with the casing dilemma. The device is so pretty, why would you ever want to cover it up with a bulky case? On the other hand it really is a smart idea to have case if you are going to keep it for the entirety of a 2yr contract. FYI, I have a speck case on a black iphone 4. It's rather utilitarian but it works.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I know what you mean. But I've got a bumper on there so it has some lay on the table design to help.

If I used a bumper I would probably still put something on the back like I do now. just because it adds little to no bulk, but still less me make my phone just a little different than everyone else I know with an iPhone:).

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I use Otter Box to try to protect the entire phone.

I used to use Commuter on my blackberry phones and while I am yet to buy an iPhone for my next upgrade around July, how good is the quality of commuter on iPhone? i've read reviewed that it has sort of dwindled.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
My setup for my iPhone 4: Powersupport anti glare front screen protector, Lucky Lab Parudao Wood back skin, and black bumper case.

I kind of want to take off the bumper case but haven't find a good wrap for the antenna band or couldn't find any antenn-aid/iBand/"End Call" sticker.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I use a back cover, which is a skin, only because it was free. Otherwise I would not purchase one. I also use it in addition to my speck candyshell.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have a screen protector on the front and back to protect against scratches. Unless I get a real hardcore case like the otterbox, or a gel case (which for some queer reason aren't around for iPhone 4/4S's) those hard plastic ones won't do jack if I drop it onto concrete anyway.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
LOL, I had no idea Apple offered back replacements, especially for that price. You'd think they'd just try to sell you another phone.

You might want to try BestSkinsEver tho (what I use with my bumper). Just $8 shipped for the back, or $11 for the whole phone. At least it gives you some peace of mind without paying ridiculous amounts of money for a thin piece of plastic.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
BSE full body protection on iPhone (Bumper has case)
Only a case for iPad.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm using a bumper and just tonight I took off my pealing invisible shield back protector.

I figure, if the back really gets scratched, Apple replaces the back plate for $20 which is basically what the shield costs.

What do you guys and girls do?

I've got MediaDevil screen & rear protector.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I use an Agent18 candyshell for everyday use, and an Otterbox Commuter for times when I suspect there's potential for rough housing, like tailgating or St Patty's Day or hiking. ;)

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I used to use Commuter on my blackberry phones and while I am yet to buy an iPhone for my next upgrade around July, how good is the quality of commuter on iPhone? i've read reviewed that it has sort of dwindled.

I use the Otter Box Defender because I am that clumsy. My iPhone has survived drops on tile floors, parking lots etc... The only complaints I have areit does get dirty. Once I managed to get an eyelash under the screen protector. Also, my phone will not fit into a lot of those cool docking and speaker gadgets. I cannot really comment on the commuter series because I have never used that.

I have heard that the Lifeproof cases are great (probably better than Otter Box) but they are expensive.

I also have the Otter Box Defender for my iPad. Seems like a really good case, but it irks me that I had to buy a screen protector separately.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Even though I have a flexible gel case, I always use a back protector as well because the tiniest pieces of grit that get in behind the case will scratch the phone. I want it to remain immaculate for when I come to sell it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.