Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but wouldn't it be handy if in iOS6:

When the iPhone is locked, and the volume + and home button are both held down for 10 seconds, a page of info (preset by the owner of the phone) would appear with contact details such as phone number/address/email address/name of owner etc... This would allow the police (or anyone who finds a lost iPhone) to easily return the phone to it's owner.

Sound good?

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but wouldn't it be handy if in iOS6:

When the iPhone is locked, and the volume + and home button are both held down for 10 seconds, a page of info (preset by the owner of the phone) would appear with contact details such as phone number/address/email address/name of owner etc... This would allow the police (or anyone who finds a lost iPhone) to easily return the phone to it's owner.

Sound good?
It would would be a great idea,But samsung's G-nexus already has this,In fact any android 4.0 phone has this already built in.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
For now there's just Find My iPhone. Not sure I'd want someone having my personal info available if they stole my phone. At least with FMi I can remotely delete personal data off the phone.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
For now there's just Find My iPhone. Not sure I'd want someone having my personal info available if they stole my phone. At least with FMi I can remotely delete personal data off the phone.

It would be a great idea,If implemented properly like you are given the option on what info you want visible on the home-screen.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
This seems like a bad idea for privacy. Someone could surreptitiously view your personal info. You'd never know it, and it could happen without your device being lost or stolen.

Apple's Find My iPhone app, which already exists, seems like a better way to do this. One of its features is to allow the owner to remotely put a message on the screen. You should look into that app if you haven't done so already.

Your idea also requires that finder know about this feature and how to bring up the info. Find My iPhone messages appear right on the lock screen without the finder having to do anything.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It would be a great idea,If implemented properly like you are given the option on what info you want visible on the home-screen.

Yeah, well, there could be a little section in the settings where you can write whatever you want to come up.

----------

This seems like a bad idea for privacy. Someone could surreptitiously view your personal info. You'd never know it, and it could happen without your device being lost or stolen.

Personally I couldn't care less who knows my phone number. What's the worst that could happen?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, well, there could be a little section in the settings where you can write whatever you want to come up.

----------

Personally I couldn't care less who knows my phone number. What's the worst that could happen?

If you're a celebrity, government official, or etc., it could be bad news.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012

If it's a landline that's not unlisted, a reverse lookup would reveal the home address and its associated name. Then they search the name on Facebook and Google, lookup any associated names, and piece together information from various websites. There could be a lot of potential there that you might not expect.

Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

There's just too many instances for it to be a very bad idea, IMO.

I could think of about a thousand things that could happen.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
I agree with everyone else, allowing a locked phone to display personal information is too risky. Imagine if a guy steals a woman's phone, gets all her personal information and uses it for....well, there's no un-creepy/horrible way to end that sentence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.