PDA

View Full Version : Problem and Solution in Excel under Lion

Garoolgan
May 25, 2012, 05:28 AM
Two days ago I copied hundreds of Excel files (amongst thousands of others) from a Snow Leopard to a Lion MacBook Pro.

The numbers (amounts) when entered into Excel sheets transferred to Lion jumped to the left of a column like text does and didn't activate formulas etc.

I live in France, (not by choice, but that's another matter) and as an obedient soul, on setting up Microsoft Office I put my address down in France but specified that my preferred language was English.

Microsoft, the eternally helpful Microsoft, then unknown to me proceeded to format my numbers the French way, with a comma (not a dot) between the dollars and the cents on all the spreadsheets that I transferred from Snow Leopard!

My account sheets have very small numbers so as to keep as many columns on the screen as possible and as I'm what most of you guys would call "elderly" (a terrible adjective isn't it?) with slightly diminishing sight so I didn't notice that on the transferred documents the dots had been transformed into commas. On entering new data with dots I created the problem and couldn't work out why for quite some time!

Now you all know about this quirk in the ever (too?) helpful Microsoft and I hope that this little story will help others!

Garoolgan