Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumej

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Finland
When the new MacBook air is released i might Buy it. But before that, i want to now what should i choose; :apple:SSD( if it its avaible) OR :apple:Flash storage. Both 128 GB...

Soo... Is SSD faster than Flash storage, if you know tell me what is faster at these places:

Boot time
Opening applications
Shutdown
General speed difference

Thanks, really appreciate that you used some time reading this.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When the new MacBook air is released i might Buy it. But before that, i want to now what should i choose; :apple:SSD( if it its avaible) OR :apple:Flash storage. Both 128 GB...

Currently an SSD is used in the Macbook Pro and the flash storage you mentioned is used in the Macbook Air. The flash storage is a memory module like shown in the Macbook Air photo below. Just different configurations of memory chips to handle storage.

Current shipping Pro and Air models are both using SATA II drives/flash modules and are about the same speed. No real speed advantage to either one. You can upgrade both to faster aftermarket products.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the new models.

lFhEH.png

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
SSD uses flash chips. Both the MBP and MBA use SSDs. The MBA uses an mSATA interface while the MBP uses a SATA interface - both are SATA though.

They both have SATA3 controllers but the MBA is using a SATA2 SSD. Im not sure if the SSDs i the MBP are SATA2 or 3. That would be the speed differentiator.

Keep in mind that you can replace the SSD it comes with with a SATA3 SSD since the controller on the laptop supports it. OWC sells MBA drives but you can use any brand for the MBP.

thewoz

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Thanks to both of you !;)

I think you're confused by the outside look of it. They are both the same thing. When you hear SSD/Flash what they're saying is that they use NAND Flash memory. Like this

aah19101.jpg

So Manufacturers took this (what you think as an SSD drive)

SSD.jpg

Took the NAND flash out and put it all in a row

003109-101104_Blade-SSD.jpg

Like a stick.

And yes. Some are faster than others. Some Macbook Airs benchmark faster than others. I think it has to do with some using Toshiba SSD and some using Samsung SSD and that the Samsung benchmarks faster.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.