PDA

View Full Version : Can't get past Apple logo, didn't back up...please help!

joyagirl
May 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
My Macbook Pro (2008) won't go past the Apple and spinning wheel on start up, and it stays that way even after the drive has been repaired and verified.

I've have used Recovery HD and Disk Utility to repair/verify the hard drive and after the repair it still won't boot up past the apple logo. I downloaded OSX Lion 10.7.4 (client combo) update onto an external drive but I can't install the update when using Recovery HD. I've tried mounting the existing hard drive onto an external drive, but I get an error message immediately.

Basically I need to access the hard drive without erasing the data. What can I do to either access my hard drive or get it to boot up properly?

Please help!!

Jennie x

ghall
May 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've had luck with Data Rescue in the past. http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Results can vary depending on the extent of the damage.

The very best of luck to you. I've experienced data loss before, it's heartbreaking. I highly reccomend keeping a regular backup in the future.

Taz Mangus
May 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
My Macbook Pro (2008) won't go past the Apple and spinning wheel on start up, and it stays that way even after the drive has been repaired and verified.

I've have used Recovery HD and Disk Utility to repair/verify the hard drive and after the repair it still won't boot up past the apple logo. I downloaded OSX Lion 10.7.4 (client combo) update onto an external drive but I can't install the update when using Recovery HD. I've tried mounting the existing hard drive onto an external drive, but I get an error message immediately.

Basically I need to access the hard drive without erasing the data. What can I do to either access my hard drive or get it to boot up properly?

Please help!!

Jennie x

If you have access to another Mac running 10.7.4, try booting your 2008 MacBook Pro into target disk mode and mount it on the other Mac. You could then do one of two things, either apply the update from the other Mac onto your 2008 MacBook Pro or copy off what you need from your MacBook Pro and then do a clean install on your MacBook Pro and copy back onto the MacBook Pro the files you saved off while in target disk mode. If you can't boot into target disk mode then the hard drive maybe failing and will need to be replaced.