Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shannonbrooke

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2011
West Palm Beach, FL
When the iPad 2 came out, a lot of them had a "light leak" problem and I read that you could get them exchanged at the Apple store. Mine has a slight light leak and I never got around to getting it replaced and realized my one year warranty is now up...I bought my iPad 2 in March '11. Anyone know if it is still possible to get them replaced? I don't want to go all the way there just for them to tell me it can't be done. Thanks.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Not if it's out of warranty. If it's replaced it'll be at the whim of a Genius, so it's essentially roll the dice and take your chances. I doubt it tho. If they do, buy a lottery ticket too! :)

After a year of using it it can't be all that bad :p

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Not if it's out of warranty. If it's replaced it'll be at the whim of a Genius, so it's essentially roll the dice and take your chances. I doubt it tho. If they do, buy a lottery ticket too! :)

After a year of using it it can't be all that bad :p

Agreed, if after a year it's now an issue it couldn't have been too bad. I have multiple flat panel displays and some have light bleed and others don't. It's never bothered me once.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Why not. You tried to deal within but your just not apply with the affect it gives.
The worst that you could hear is no.

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I agree, but I'm really thinking about the resale value.

Most people won't even notice it, mine has light leak but I can only see it from one angle, and I have to actually look for it.

Are you able to see yours just by looking at the iPad from any angle?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I agree, but I'm really thinking about the resale value.

You are worrying to much. First off the iPad 2 has lost some value because of the iPad 3 and you are forgetting that while light leakage may bother you it may not bother the person who's buying it. ;)

I have light leakage on all of my Tablets and I currently own 4 Tablets. I also have light leakage on my HDTV and flat screen monitors. For me it's no big deal. Hopefully you'll sell your iPad to someone like me that thinks light leakage is the new normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.