PDA

View Full Version : Messages Notifications

myrtlebee
May 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
I just DL'ed Lion last night and, subsequently, Messages. I only get notifications of incoming messages if I have the Messages app opened, unlike FaceTime where calls come through even when the app is closed.

Is there any way to get message notifications to come in and open Messages (like FaceTime) when the app is closed? I'd prefer not to leave Messages always open, as when I restart the machine, it pops up on my desktop first thing and I'd rather not go through the hassle of opening and closing it during each reboot. Thanks!

myrtlebee
May 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm sure somebody has Messages on Lion-

How does yours react? Does it notify you of new incoming messages when the app is closed or does it have to be open?

Mal
May 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
Messages -> Preferences -> General -> When I quit Messages, set my status to offline. Uncheck that preference, and you'll always be online unless you manually sign off.

jW

myrtlebee
May 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Messages -> Preferences -> General -> When I quit Messages, set my status to offline. Uncheck that preference, and you'll always be online unless you manually sign off.

jW

Well, I don't want to be "online" if that means I will be signed into my AIM account (since that is linked with Messages for me). Is there any way to receive just Apple message alerts when the App is closed and not any other 3rd party service (like AIM) that was carried over by iChat? I appreciate your help.

Mal
May 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Sign out of your AIM account manually? No way to separate the services, as iChat (and Messages by extension) has always been an aggregate service app, as in it seamlessly connected to all of the services it supported with you having to keep track of which was which.

jW