Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
Hey guys. I'm still on a Windows machine and I'm making a video in Vegas Movie Studio 9 to go on youtube. I might be getting a 2012 MBP when they're released so I was wondering what format should I save it in so I can play it on a Mac and put it on youtube? I mean so I can have it as a file if I ever decide to go back and edit it.

Thanks.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hey guys. I'm still on a Windows machine and I'm making a video in Vegas Movie Studio 9 to go on youtube. I might be getting a 2012 MBP when they're released so I was wondering what format should I save it in so I can play it on a Mac and put it on youtube? I mean so I can have it as a file if I ever decide to go back and edit it.

Thanks.

It sort of depends on what software you are going to use on OSX. Whilst I wouldn't suggest this for professional applications if they are home videos you could store them as high quality h.264's and then when you get iMovie, FCS3, FCPX you can then still edit them.

I don't think there is a more uncompressed format that Vegas works with that will then work on the Mac unless you have options like XDCAM?

EDIT: After having a quick read online apparently you can export a uncompressed .mov file which will be openable in FCPX and other Apple apps. Bare in mind that the files sizes will be large for this.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...so I was wondering what format should I save it in so I can play it on a Mac and put it on youtube? I mean so I can have it as a file if I ever decide to go back and edit it.
Encoding Do's and Don'ts - YouTube Help

Under Windows, you can save your source files as lossless compressed files. Many encoders support the lossless HuffYUV and Lagarith codecs (input and output). VLC on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X has no problem with these files, if your HDD is fast enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.