Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Twigman08 and I were derailing a thread about user adoption of WiFi sync with troubleshooting talk. Summary: His WiFi network is slow and has poor signal range, so he often use USB sync instead. The computer room where the router is used to be a garage, and the house is "pretty big" so he can't connect from his bedroom. I explained that WiFi sync uses the LAN not the Internet, and listed the theoretical speeds for N, G, and USB 2.

Now I'll reply to his last post.

Honestly didn't know that exactly. Hmm, something isn't right then I guess because doing wireless sync it is just flat out slow syncing. It's always been faster for me to sync it via USB. I will be looking into this. Thanks.
If your router, computer, or iOS device is using 802.11g, that would explain it; the connection can only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain. Other factors include interference (other WiFi networks, 2.4GHz microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones), distance from the router, walls, and LAN congestion.

Do you see other wireless networks from your neighbors? What router (make and model) do you use?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
How can you tell what speed you're on? I recently got a MBP with 802.11n and I can't remember if I have any other devices that still may be on g.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Twigman08 and I were derailing a thread about user adoption of WiFi sync with troubleshooting talk. Summary: His WiFi network is slow and has poor signal range, so he often use USB sync instead. The computer room where the router is used to be a garage, and the house is "pretty big" so he can't connect from his bedroom. I explained that WiFi sync uses the LAN not the Internet, and listed the theoretical speeds for N, G, and USB 2.

Now I'll reply to his last post.

If your router, computer, or iOS device is using 802.11g, that would explain it; the connection can only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain. Other factors include interference (other WiFi networks, 2.4GHz microwave ovens, 2.4GHz cordless phones), distance from the router, walls, and LAN congestion.

Do you see other wireless networks from your neighbors? What router (make and model) do you use?
I replied back to your private message. I will admit that I'm not 100% network tech savy, but when it comes to computers, hardware, software and all that I'm comfortable with, I'm a programmer. Just never have yet done a lot of studying up on network connectivity.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
How can you tell what speed you're on? I recently got a MBP with 802.11n and I can't remember if I have any other devices that still may be on g.

You'd have to look that up for each device, starting with the router. What router (make and model) do you have?

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I replied back to your private message. I will admit that I'm not 100% network tech savy, but when it comes to computers, hardware, software and all that I'm comfortable with, I'm a programmer. Just never have yet done a lot of studying up on network connectivity.

I Googled the router in your PM, and as you suspected it is an 802.11g router. Now it's up to you whether or not you want to upgrade to N router. N routers tend to have significantly better range as well as speed, so upgrading might make you able to connect from your bedroom. It also helps to place routers up high and away from large metal objects.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
You'd have to look that up for each device, starting with the router. What router (make and model) do you have?

So I know my router will support N, but to make sure the network is running on N I have to go through and make sure everything else is on N?

Bit cumbersome. I did just switch it to N only and everything seemed to work. I might keep it on G for now. No benefit to using N in my current situation, aside from syncing my iPhone.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
So I know my router will support N, but to make sure the network is running on N I have to go through and make sure everything else is on N?

Bit cumbersome. I did just switch it to N only and everything seemed to work. I might keep it on G for now. No benefit to using N in my current situation, aside from syncing my iPhone.

No, I wasn't talking about changing any settings. You shouldnt do that. I was only talking about Googling for the hardware specs for each machine/device on your network. Then you'd know which, if any, of them are limited to 802.11g. You could then upgrade/replace those things when N-capable hardware if you so desired.

You wouldn't have to do that either. On a mixed network 802.11n and 802.11g can talk to each other just fine (N is backwards compatible), but those particular interactions can only happen at 802.11g speeds.

The setting you're referring to is only on your router. It determines what kinds of machines/devices are allowed on your network: 802.11n only, 802.11g only, or both (mixed network). Setting your N-capable network to G-only will slow it down with no benefit. I recommend mixed, which is the default.

Make sense now?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.