PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 + Quake 4??

Falleron
Nov 2, 2002, 10:04 AM
When will we get these two games? I found this screenshot which I think is quite impressive:

job
Nov 2, 2002, 03:39 PM
Doom 3 should eventually come out for the Mac sometime..

I'm not so sure about Quake 4 though...

Id's no longer developing the Quake series.

FattyMembrane
Nov 2, 2002, 06:21 PM
i read on insidemacgames.com a while ago that when jaguar came out, id had builds of doom III running on it. hopefully it will be a simultaneous release (although we'll probably be shafted as always, not that my computer can even run it). quake 4 will be based on the doom III engine and i believe that it will have more multiplayer action (doom III will only support 4 players).

Mr. Anderson
Nov 2, 2002, 06:51 PM
That screenshot is amazing - and I know that most machines are going to be pushed to their limits by the game, maybe by the time that a mac version comes out we'll have the Power4. It would be more than cool to have DoomIII on a Mac outperform the best PC machine!

D

Bradcoe
Nov 2, 2002, 07:04 PM
Doom 3 is going to break new ground in video game visuals. John Carmack and his few co-workers at id are putting so much time and effort into this games engine, it will set a new standard for all video games to come for years after its release. Of course, you'll need a minimum of 64mb of video ram (the game will want to load over 80megs of textures for a screen, so 128meg cards will perform much better). A geforce4mx isn't going to look to well. Thankfully, we mac users luck out with id games.
A guy over at id (i don't remember his name, but theres only about 20 guys there), loves macs. Quake 3 is optimized for the Velocity engine and multiple processors. it's just about the only video game to do so. So its pretty much a guarantee that doom 3 will be optimized in the same way. John carmack and other id guys have been quoted in their journals (somewhere on id's website) about how great the new mac os x platform is for games. I wish i could come up with links, but im lazy. a search or two should give you what you want. Oh and as far as Doom 3 graphics go...i read a while back that current games use 10's of thousands of pixels (or was it polygons) per character. The movie shrek was around 3 million per character. Doom 3 will be around 3/4 of a million per character. Nothing will compare to its realism. I cant wait for this engine.

Bradcoe
Nov 2, 2002, 07:09 PM
click here (http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=3856)

at the bottom is a link to his .plan site. good for those interested in mac gaming.

sparkleytone
Nov 2, 2002, 11:04 PM
that pic does not look all that much like doom3...

the pics and vids i saw were much more impressive than that...the shadows are pixellated and the hand model is blocky.

that looks much more like quake2 than anything new. one could argue that q2 was actually doom3 tho ;)

sparkleytone
Nov 2, 2002, 11:11 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/alanbrent/.Pictures/doom3.jpg

Falleron
Nov 3, 2002, 04:58 AM
Here is where I got the pictures from:

http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi?&idtype=demos&database=431&section=screens&

There are more details there on the description tab.

mmmdreg
Nov 4, 2002, 01:18 AM
I don't think there's been any word of quake 4...but doom 3 is obviously already fairly well progressed...I want unreal 2 and unreal tournament 2003 as well...they look pretty cool...I notice the UT03 demo has been released for windows and linux..anyone played it?

Falleron
Nov 4, 2002, 04:29 AM
Apparently UT 2003 is good. This is as long as you have decent hardware to run it on.

job
Nov 4, 2002, 03:16 PM
UT 2003 plays a little like Quake 3 sadly.

Weapons and motions are all a bit off.