PDA

View Full Version : How to install OS Lion and keep programs but not information?

rondocap
May 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
So I am selling my computer, and want to do a fresh install of OS Lion. I wanted to wipe all of my private info clean, but at the same time keep a few programs that I had on there for the person buying it.

Is there a way to do this? Would installing using time machine backup give me the programs but remove my private information? I want to avoid having to reinstall the programs again if possible.

Bear
May 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
So I am selling my computer, and want to do a fresh install of OS Lion. I wanted to wipe all of my private info clean, but at the same time keep a few programs that I had on there for the person buying it.

Is there a way to do this? Would installing using time machine backup give me the programs but remove my private information? I want to avoid having to reinstall the programs again if possible.The only way to guarantee a clean system is to wipe the disk and do a fresh install. I would also recommend letting him go through the registration and setup screens. Hand him the Applications to install. If they're free downloads burn a DVD with them.

rondocap
May 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ah. Thanks. Let's say I had them on a different partition of Lion on the same system, could I just copy/paste the application to the new install or do I have to actually go through the install process?

Bear
May 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
Ah. Thanks. Let's say I had them on a different partition of Lion on the same system, could I just copy/paste the application to the new install or do I have to actually go through the install process?It depends on the Application. Some are simple drag/drop installs and some are more complicated.