Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
So I am selling my computer, and want to do a fresh install of OS Lion. I wanted to wipe all of my private info clean, but at the same time keep a few programs that I had on there for the person buying it.

Is there a way to do this? Would installing using time machine backup give me the programs but remove my private information? I want to avoid having to reinstall the programs again if possible.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I am selling my computer, and want to do a fresh install of OS Lion. I wanted to wipe all of my private info clean, but at the same time keep a few programs that I had on there for the person buying it.

Is there a way to do this? Would installing using time machine backup give me the programs but remove my private information? I want to avoid having to reinstall the programs again if possible.
The only way to guarantee a clean system is to wipe the disk and do a fresh install. I would also recommend letting him go through the registration and setup screens. Hand him the Applications to install. If they're free downloads burn a DVD with them.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Ah. Thanks. Let's say I had them on a different partition of Lion on the same system, could I just copy/paste the application to the new install or do I have to actually go through the install process?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Ah. Thanks. Let's say I had them on a different partition of Lion on the same system, could I just copy/paste the application to the new install or do I have to actually go through the install process?
It depends on the Application. Some are simple drag/drop installs and some are more complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.