Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Here's my dilemma. I have a Mac Pro and a new Macbook air. Now I just want to transfer over my email settings, safari bookmarks, contacts and calendar info. I don't want all of the other crap that migration assistant moves over. Are there any alternatives I can use for this besides opening up my two OS drives, locating and dragging those particular folders over? Perhaps since those particular items are on both of my iPhone and iPad, couldn't I just sync one of those with the new macbook air and move them over that way?

Or just turn on iCloud sync with my account and select those items. Would that do the trick?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
iCloud would sync your contacts and calendars; email could be done through IMAP. Or check out Fruux; it does contacts and calendars via CardDav and CalDav without Lion if you can't do iCloud.

It's better to use a syncing or pushing solution because over time the things you're discussing with change and then trying to reconcile them becomes a real pain.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.