Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weatherreport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Hi.
The Lion upgrade made my Macbook Pro really sluggish. So I've recently made a clean install of Lion. Now it seems in good condition. But...
after the clean install, I had to get all codecs back one by one. I have Perian, Flip4Mac, Divx so far.
But I feel I'm missing too many. For example when trying to drag a .vob file in MpegStreamclip for a conversion, it says I'm missing an MPEG2 codec. Which I find now is not free. I don't ever recall that I payed for it before. But I'm pretty sure I had it before the clean install. Does anyone have any idea? And what other codecs are necessary. Oh BTW, I use Final Cut Express at a hobbyist level (Which I didn't install after the clean install) Many many thanks.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The MPEG2 component is now integrated into Lion, but MPEG Streamclip hasn't yet been updated to access it. Your Final Cut Express install probably had the MPEG2 component, so you'll have to reinstall that to get access to it again.

weatherreport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Thanks initialsBB...
So does that mean, I have mpeg2 components on my OS but I only can't use it for conversion processes in MpegStreamclip?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Thanks initialsBB...
So does that mean, I have mpeg2 components on my OS but I only can't use it for conversion processes in MpegStreamclip?
you need to install FCE to get it all back. You can download FCPX demo and then receive the ProCodecs via Apple Software Updates.

weatherreport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Hey mBox, reinstalling Final Cut Express did not get my MPEG2 codecs back. Mpegstreamclip still says I need to update it. Any ideas?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Sorry my bad, dont really know much about FCE.
I thought they allow you to download Procodecs if you install.
I guess thats only for FCP and FCPX.
I wonder if there is a link somewhere you can download that from?

weatherreport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Thanks mBox. I also downloaded a 1 month trial of FCPX. Did a software update of some components. But still no sign from an MPEG2 :) Do you think that's normal?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you use (or have used) Final Cut, then you probably have the MPEG-2 component.

The problem is that after upgrading to Lion, the MPEG-2 component gets moved to a location that MPEGStreamclip can't find. You have to move it back (or somehting like that)

Take a look at the MPEGStreamclip website. They have instructions on how to get it working under Lion.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Here's the bit about Lion.

The installer of the MPEG-2 Playback Component may refuse to install the component in Lion. Apple states the component is unnecessary in Lion, however MPEG Streamclip still needs it.

To install the component in Lion, please download MPEG Streamclip 1.9.3b7 beta above; inside the disk image you will find the Utility MPEG2 Component Lion: use it to install the MPEG-2 Playback Component in Lion. The original installer's disk image (QuickTimeMPEG2.dmg) is required.

The current versions of MPEG Streamclip cannot take advantage of the built-in MPEG-2 functionality of Lion. For MPEG-2 files you still need to install the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component, which is not preinstalled in Lion. You don't have to install QuickTime 7.

Also read the information for Snow Leopard below.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.