Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Hi there :)

For an upcoming video project, I need to record audio from the Line In on my Mac and an external Microphone at the same time. Is there any way how to do this in GarageBand? Any help is much appreciated. :)

Edit: Should have mentioned that the Microphone is connected via USB. Since it shows up in the Audio System Preferences pane like all my other audio sources I don't think it changes anything.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Open the Audio MIDI Setup application (in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder). In the audio devices window you will see a list of all available devices connected to your computer. Click the plus button to add an Aggregate Device. Check the box next to each input device that you want to use.

Now, in Garageband go to the Preferences and click on Audio/MIDI. Select the Aggregate Device for Audio Input. You should now be able to use all the devices you selected with the Audio MIDI Setup application. You will see that each device has been assigned its own inputs which you can select for each track in Garageband.

You may find that you can't individually adjust the volume of your microphone in GarageBand however. If so, select it in under the Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup. You should see volume sliders there that you an adjust. If needed, you can have the Audio MIDI Setup application running at the same time as GarageBand and make adjustments as you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.