PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight II Demo OUT!!

Stike
Nov 2, 2002, 12:24 PM
Inside Mac Games (http://www.insidemacgames.com) posted a report on Jedi Knight II. A DEMO is now available (62,7 MB). Servers are obviously busy right now, but IŽll download it soon enough!

Get your lightsabers ready, guys!! :p :D

Wes
Nov 2, 2002, 02:44 PM
Does the demo have multiplayer?

P-Worm
Nov 2, 2002, 03:21 PM
Cool! I'm getting it now. And those servers are MAJORLY bogged down. I'm only getting 10K on my DSL line, it's going to take over an hour! :eek:

Oh well, it's the price I pay for gaming goodness.

P-Worm

job
Nov 2, 2002, 03:36 PM
Cool I'll be able to run it still...

* MacOS 9.1 or later (with virtual memory on)
* MacOS X compatible, version 10.1 or later
* G3 or G4 Processor at 400 MHz or faster
* 128 MB of Memory (256 MB required for OS 9.1)
* 4X CD-ROM (16X recommended)
* Hard Drive, with 665 MB minimum free space
* Hardware 3D Acceleration required (ATI Radeon/NVidia GeForce card)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 2, 2002, 03:40 PM
Ok, got, never played Jedi Knight I and got killed 4 times at the drop off point, basically immediately. I need to learn the key commands, but wow, very cool, love the weapon selctions and force tricks. This should be fun and a great waste of time, that I don't need.... :D

Thanks,

D

Stike
Nov 2, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W
Does the demo have multiplayer?

:( Doesnt seem so. If you click "NEW" you choose the difficulty and the game loads... and crashes/hangs during loading! On X.2.1! This is embarrassing. Wonder if I did something wrong. :(

Mr. Anderson
Nov 2, 2002, 08:04 PM
The same thing happened to me, till I adjusted the settings to their lowest level and it worked. Then I upped a few and it still did so I played at 640x480 at medium res on polys and textures.

Very, very cool. I might have to go out and get the whole game now, I had a lot of fun, but I'm not very good at using the force yet, that and the lightsaber. I did manage to beat it at padawan....

D :D

BenderBot1138
Nov 2, 2002, 08:28 PM
Come to PAPA!!!!

Stike
Nov 2, 2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
The same thing happened to me, till I adjusted the settings to their lowest level and it worked. Then I upped a few and it still did so I played at 640x480 at medium res on polys and textures.

Very, very cool. I might have to go out and get the whole game now, I had a lot of fun, but I'm not very good at using the force yet, that and the lightsaber. I did manage to beat it at padawan....

D :D

Yes, the same for me. Once it has run on default low settings I was able to increase the settings and it never crashed again. On 1280x1024 its cool! And the lightsaber rocks! But I cant find any OSD concerning the force features... hmm.
Good job from Aspyr though!

Wes
Nov 3, 2002, 04:40 AM
I just played it on 1024 768 and close to max settings at the graphics are great! The best part of the demo is fighting the other guy with the light saber at the end of the level.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 3, 2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by W-_-W
I just played it on 1024 768 and close to max settings at the graphics are great! The best part of the demo is fighting the other guy with the light saber at the end of the level.

Ok, I've beaten it at Padawan, but the light sabre part even on jedi is kicking my ass, is there anything I'm missing here? Oh, and I powered up and found the shield and have 100 on both that and health...

D

Mr. Anderson
Nov 3, 2002, 12:13 PM
I figured it out, my machine doesn't have enough power, so I can't go use the higher difficultly levels all that well because the extra men and weapons fire, etc. really slow the thing down so that I'm hitting the fire button so many times a having such a huge delay that by the time I get killed it cycles through the reload to checkpoint and then continues firing for a few seconds, ha!

Oh well, I think I'll get this game when I get a new machine....

D

beez7777
Nov 3, 2002, 12:24 PM
does anyone have any other links to download the demo? its goin really slow from both servers at inside mac games

Mr. Anderson
Nov 3, 2002, 02:28 PM
Yes, that would have been good to get a faster link. I'm at the Tyson Apple store now and was thinking it would be great to try the demo out on a dual ghz, but at a download of over 90 minutes, that's not going to work. Damn.

D

twalkabout
Nov 3, 2002, 03:40 PM
Hey,

This game is sweet. It is slow though. I've got a TiBook 550MHz (16MB VRAM, 512MB RAM). After I set all the graphic settings in the game to low, it runs pretty good, except for the more active parts.

Some hints:

(1) Switch to the light saber right away. I don't know why they have the blaster on as the default weapon. Every two-bit first person shooter game has guns. This game is cool cause you get to use a LIGHT SABER. I mean, come on, who hasn't wanted to use a light saber?

I was dying super quick and had to switch to Padawan until I figured out the light saber thing (quickest way to switch is to use a mouse scroll wheel). With the light saber, as long as you are mostly facing the direction of blaster fire, you will automatically deflect the fire jedi-style. The bad guys own blasts will kill them eventually. I was able to win the demo no problem on hard setting with just the light saber. Plus, did I mention that you get to use a LIGHT SABER?!. You can also kill people by using the jedi push power and shove them off the walkway (might take a couple pushes). To kill that droid thing, I just throw the saber. works like a charm.

(2) To get in the first locked door, you need the key, and then look right at the control pad and hit 'E'. I may be stupid, but I sat ther for like then minutes trying to use 'enter' and do it.

(3) To get in the last area behind the force field, you need to deactivate the power, which is on the second level of the generator complex thingy. It took me awhile to figure this out too.

(4) Secret area (spoiler): on first level of generator thingy, you jump up some horizontal things.

I hope that helps some people avoid some pitfalls I ran into.

job
Nov 3, 2002, 07:19 PM
How long is the demo in terms of time spent to finish it? (On any difficulty level.)

WannabeSQ
Nov 4, 2002, 04:57 PM
I must be doing something wrong, I have a G4 500 agp with a Radeon 8500, and get horrrible performance, with the FPS shown on screen i saw it get as low as 3 fps. With Quake 3 i never went below 40 fps, and Jedi Outcast barely goes above 20. The first outdoor scene is about 14 fps, and very hard to play. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this game poorly optimized for OSX? Ill try it on OS9 to see.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 4, 2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by twalkabout

(4) Secret area (spoiler): on first level of generator thingy, you jump up some horizontal things.

I hope that helps some people avoid some pitfalls I ran into.

Ha, where is this? In one of the side coves?

I'm going back to do the all light sabre version!

D

blackpeter
Nov 4, 2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
I must be doing something wrong, I have a G4 500 agp with a Radeon 8500, and get horrrible performance, with the FPS shown on screen i saw it get as low as 3 fps. With Quake 3 i never went below 40 fps, and Jedi Outcast barely goes above 20. The first outdoor scene is about 14 fps, and very hard to play. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this game poorly optimized for OSX? Ill try it on OS9 to see.

Me too... horrible frame rate. I think my 533 is showing her age.

twalkabout
Nov 4, 2002, 07:45 PM
I didn't actually check the frame rate, but I basically set everything to the lowest graphic setting, which was a bit embarrasing I have to say -- but then the game plays much better. Only time I had problems was when fighting the two other dudes with light sabers at once.

Speaking of which, I think there are some hints on the web about how to duel with a light saber, but I have no idea, I just kept moving and clicking. Or, alternatively, if you are only fighting one, you will defend almost every shot if you don't click at all. Then I suppose you could try to take him out right after he attacks...or something like that.

To answer the two above questions:
1) You can go through the demo in less then an hour, but it'll probably take about 3 to learn how to do everything if you have never played before.

2) Yeah, the secret area is in one of those side things. The one with the big horizontal glowing things.

macstudent
Nov 4, 2002, 08:26 PM
It was playable on my ibook700 with 640mb RAM. Too bad the level is so short.

I might have to pick this game up if I get a new tower after macworld.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 5, 2002, 11:05 AM
So I've managed to beat the first two levels - and you're right, lightsabres are the best - it was much more fun learning how to do it that way than using blasters.

But on the Jedi Knight level, ouch, those two Sith or what ever are a pain, got my ass handed to me. Any hints?

D

Stike
Nov 5, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Any hints?

D

"Use the force, duke!" :D ;) I always wanted to say that ;)

Using the "Speed" Force could help, you are faster than your opponents. Becomes difficult to control though. Give it a try.

Draft
Nov 5, 2002, 01:56 PM
Also, something that is a little cheap, throw a thermal detinator at the guy that is just standing in the middle of the room when you come in. It won't kill him, but it'll take his energy down a bit. You can only do this once, then they start using the push force to throw them back at you.

This is a sweet game. I'm considering buying it.

draft

Mr. Anderson
Nov 5, 2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Stike

"Use the force, duke!" :D ;) I always wanted to say that ;)

Using the "Speed" Force could help, you are faster than your opponents. Becomes difficult to control though. Give it a try.

Ha, its already hard to control, but I'll try it on jedi level first and see how it works. Two really is difficult. Any one done it Jedi Master?

D

beez7777
Nov 5, 2002, 04:42 PM
pretty cool game, but every time i try to load my saved game, it crashes. anyone else have this problem, and is it fixable?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 5, 2002, 08:13 PM
Well, I've tried playing it again at jedi level and I'm still having problems with killing, even after getting all sorts of good advice on how to use a light sabre. My conclusion is that my machine just can't handle the game, I hit the attack key and he attacks more than a second later at some points. And I have no idea what the fps is, but its pathetic.

Is this game optimized for OSX? Has anyone played this on a pc and had the same issues?

Very frustrating.

D

job
Nov 5, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ha, I tried playing the demo on my Mac the other day.

I think it's safe to say, I won't be buying the final product.

I got about 12~15 fps...

twalkabout
Nov 5, 2002, 10:32 PM
Wow,

I thought this game was cool, and then when I got it running fast, it turns out this game is damn cool.

Three things you might want to try:
(1) Turn all settings to low, and everything else off (blinking lights, etc). Only thing I had on was light saber wall marking, cause that is sweet. Also, set slow motion death to excessive, because that is just cool. Also, in the read me, there is info on how to turn off the anti-aliasing feature. This may help, although I did not do it. Use the low-res setting too.

(2) Quit all other programs. This sounds very pre-OS X -- but it made a huge difference. Of course, maybe it was because I forgot I was running xback with marine aquarium... But maybe it has something to do with quartz extreme utilizing the graphics card?

(3) Run it in a seperate window. For some reason this was much faster for me, although I played in full screen anyway.

Anyway, even though during the heavy action scenes, I was only getting 10-20 FPS -- it still ran incredibly smooth. (For other people like me out there who have no idea how to see the FPS, I found it on the insidemacgames forum -- you hit shift-tilda and then type cg_drawFPS 1 in consol to show FPS and cg_drawFPS 0 to turn off FPS again).

Again, I am using a TiBook 550MHz with 512MB RAM and the included 16MB graphic card.

Also, I was able to beat the hardest level with no problem. Once I could move quickly (no lag), then I didn't have to defend that much (not much fun to sit there with the light saber and let people kill themselves), I would use the force speed and take people out. Also try the jedi mind trick on solo folks -- lotsa fun.

As far as the two sith dudes go, I've got no great ideas on that. I would recommend to get all the way to that door before you enter the big room, then go back and get the shield thing in the secret area. Then go back to the door, and save. Plus make sure you still have the biocanaster thing. All this at least gives you a fighting chance.

Best idea is to kill the first one before the second guy gets there. Although it is cool fighting two guys at once.

If you get stuck, you can kill the first guy with two well timed grenade things right when you pass through the door. HOld down the timed grenade (mouse one), and aim it right at him. The second shot is a lot harder, but at least he will be hurt and it might level the playing field a bit.

Wow, that was way too much information on a game demo...