PDA

View Full Version : TRIM support on a solid state drive

Sossity
May 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
I just came across this in another thread, & realized that the solid state drive in my 2011 i7 Lion 10.7.4 mac mini is not a Toshiba, it is a 240 gb Mushkin drive.

I read that only Toshiba have this TRIM support.

I read that macs with SSD drives that may not have trim support get very slow after a while.

I have had my mac mini since April 2012, & it is still fast, but reading about TRIM has me concerned.

how do I know if my SSD drive has TRIM support? how do I check for it? & if it does not, is there a simple way to get it?

Cripps
May 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Go to Apple menu/ About this Mac / More info / Hardware / Serial ATA

Then select your SSD and see if it says Yes to Trim Support

Sossity
May 29, 2012, 12:36 AM
I just looked it up, it says no TRIM support, what do I do now?

borostef
May 29, 2012, 04:32 AM

Try doing this, I did it on my Mini running 10.7.4 and it worked like a charm...

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

maflynn
May 29, 2012, 06:33 AM

If you want to enable TRIM, then you'll need to hack OSX to allow this. This is either done by using some custom kexts or updating the manufacturer's strings

I've done the above technique but I find it gets wiped out over an update.

borostef
May 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
If you want to enable TRIM, then you'll need to hack OSX to allow this. This is either done by using some custom kexts or updating the manufacturer's strings

I've done the above technique but I find it gets wiped out over an update.

When I updated from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 it didn't get wiped, but when updating to 10.7.4 it did, so I did the same thing again and now TRIM is again enabled :D