PDA

View Full Version : Photo editing, printing, and file types

tech4all
Jul 13, 2005, 07:37 PM
I'm just curious as to what apps people use to print out photos. Example, I have jpgs from my digital camera. I open them up in Photoshop, edit them (if needed), scale/crop them to fit the paper size, then print them out via the .psd file. I then keep the .psd file with all the layers and what not incase I need to print them out again. Is that the way you all do it?

I would use iPhoto, but I don't want the original file of the picture to be changed, and in Photoshop I can keep the original photo file and print borderless.

Thanks for any tips :)

This might belong in the Pictures section but since I'm posting no pictures, so this may be the proper section.

MontyZ
Jul 14, 2005, 04:39 AM
I use Photoshop, too. It's pretty much the best.

Cleopatra
Jul 14, 2005, 04:11 PM
I do the same. But I have a backup for all my picture as they came from the digital camera too. That is because I use some of the photos in greeting cards, some in the iphoto and some in my genealogy program. But this depends on that you have a lot of storage space. When I work professional I have different profiles on the photos too. So I always keep the original.

wwooden
Jul 14, 2005, 07:12 PM
There is a really good article in the newest MacWorld magazine all about comparing printing companies. They compared all the online printing services. It was a good article and I recommend checking it out.

CanadaRAM
Jul 14, 2005, 07:16 PM
I have learned to keep the original unretouched images from the camera, and periodically burn them to DVD to back up the files. The challenge is cataloguing them -- when publishers come looking for the high res versions of my rose photos*, I have to be able to find them quickly or I lose the $.
I have Extensis Portfolio but I haven't installed it yet.

Thanks
Trevor

*www.everyrose.com

Mr. Anderson
Jul 14, 2005, 07:20 PM
I shoot RAW from my Canon 20D and also have the jpg - usually use that for web stuff if I use it directly from my camera.

But I'll usually tweak the image a bit in photoshop when I import the thing as RAW and edit in 16 bit mode and save it as a .psd

I don't convert to jpeg for printing, even at the highest setting.

D

tech4all
Jul 14, 2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the info all.

I would shoot in the uncompressed format my camera has (TIFF), there's two main reasons why I don't. 1) The image file takes up a lot of memory on the memory stick so I won't be able to take much pictures and 2) Although I know that TIFF/RAW is better than JPG (for print), I compared a TIFF I shot with my digi cam and compared it the JPG it recored as well and I couldn't see any significant difference in image quality. It may be because I took it in the evening so not much color was visible at all. I've also been checking out this site (http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/RAW_01.htm).

Within the next couple of months I plan to get a new digital camera. Possible a Canon (like the one Mr. Anderson has) and plan to get a whole lot of storage so I can shoot in uncompressed formats.