Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Akron, OH
I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere. I have a 4G black and white display iPod. I have been having a few small problems and have considered having it looked at by Apple. My question is, since the iPod and PhotoPod lines have been combined, would it be replaced by a b&w 4G or a new color? Thanks!

- Steve

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
steve jr. said:
I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere. I have a G4 black and white display iPod. I have been having a few small problems and have considered having it looked at by Apple. My question is, since the iPod and PhotoPod lines have been combined, would it be replaced by a b&w G4 or a new color? Thanks!

- Steve

Writing 4G would avoid a lot of confusion when talking about Apple products. That being said, I'd assume they would first see if they could repair your iPod. If they couldn't, I'd bet they still have some old stock for warranty replacements.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
steve jr. said:
Sorry about that. Thanks for the imput.

You could get lucky and get a new colour display model though. I've heard of things like that happening with powerbooks. Just with my own iPod warranty experience I received the identical model that I sent in, even though newer models were released.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
I just had my iPod replaced tonight (battery failed), same model as steve jr. (4G 20GB B/W) and I got the same model back...*sigh* ...but at least it's not scratched beyond recognition now.

Maybe you could try and pay the difference between the two? I almost asked, but I was already out of the store when I thought of it...

My guess is that they'd have to be out of the model completely before you could get a complimentary upgrade (like it didn't appear at all on the website, new or refurb.) But I hope you luck out!

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Akron, OH
That's a good question about the difference. Well, my 1 yr. warrenty expires in december, so I have some time. my battery only holds about a 4-5 hr. charge with minimal skipping to the next song. I'll just hold out as long as I can so the odds look a little better as to getting a color display.

::Edit:: (Gears in brain start spinning) But, what if I were to take the iPod into an Apple Store later in the afternoon (1 hour or so before closing). I tell them that it only holds a 4-5 hr. charge. (Only fear I have is that they ask how has it been happening, do I say, "Since I got it" or "Just in the past few days") Since I'm there at the store, would they carry batteries right there and fix it on the spot, or just pull a new color off the shelf?

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
steve jr. said:
::Edit:: (Gears in brain start spinning) But, what if I were to take the iPod into an Apple Store later in the afternoon (1 hour or so before closing). I tell them that it only holds a 4-5 hr. charge. (Only fear I have is that they ask how has it been happening, do I say, "Since I got it" or "Just in the past few days") Since I'm there at the store, would they carry batteries right there and fix it on the spot, or just pull a new color off the shelf?

As fabulous as that would be, I don't know if it would work. Before they can go ahead and replace anything, they'll keep your iPod overnight for a battery test. If it fails, which it sounds like yours will, it'll probably take another day or so to get the replacement. I don't think they do in-store battery repairs (or really any hardware repairs for that matter) and the unit that I received, though new and spiffy, didn't come right off the shelf. In fact, it didn't come in any packaging except the plastic sheet that protects it from smudges and scratches.

Oh, and I don't know how long I would wait. I think that the chances of you getting a new model iPod while your model is still in the current generation is kinda slim. If you can still order 3G iPods off the Apple website, I doubt they're going to run out of your model anytime soon.

If the battery thing is bugging you at all, I'd say go do it now. Plus it gives you more time under warranty if your new battery fails, even though it's guaranteed for 90 days after you get the replacement or until AppleCare expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.