PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 better knock it out of the park

saintforlife
May 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
If you are being honest with yourself, I bet you saw the supposed design of the iPhone 5 that was leaked today and probably thought to yourself: Is that it after waiting for 2 years for a redesign? Just a taller iPhone 4S? It looks so ugly with the elongated design. They could have atleast made it a little wider to make the proportions look better.

If the leaked design indeed turns out to be the final design, iOS 6 will be the only redeeming factor of the next iPhone. Seriously Apple needs to make some drastic changes to iOS to make it look less stale and more modern. If iOS 6 just turns out to be an incremental update with only minor visual changes, the combination of a fugly iPhone 5 with an outdated OS may not go down well with many current iPhone users who were looking for a more revolutionary product last year and the 4S had already let them down badly.

lepeos
May 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Why do you care so much what other people think?

brucee
May 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Why do you care so much what other people think?

Yes,do yourself.

lepeos
May 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
Yes,do yourself.

What happened to that little boy that loved to dance?

Hastings101
May 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
What happened to that little boy that loved to dance?

He was eaten alive by the honey badger.

I don't care what the next iPhone looks like but iOS 6 needs to update the stock apps that have barely changed since 2007, clean up Settings, and maybe make some color and placement changes to the UI. It's been five years, we've learned new things about how people use modern mobile devices. Time to make changes Apple.

SteveAbootman
May 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
An interface update would be nice. But iOS 6 needs to continue to focus on core functionality, ease of use, and delivering developers useable API's.

There hasn't been a ton of real groundbreaking Apps lately, and I'd love for iOS 6 to make available a lot of new API's (Siri anyone) so that a whole new wave of innovation can take place on the App Store.

Anti-Lucifer
May 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
I love how you guys put up ultimatum like threads....why not submit these comments to apple directly. Email Tim and see what he thinks.

The new design is hot. Like it or not, it actually makes all the current android, windows, and RIM gadgets look like toys. The design material is high end and yes, I will buy 2!

And I find nothing needs to be done with the home screen. The layout is fine, the app icons are great and nothing needs to be changed in that regard. BUT I would like to see more camera specific software features (panoramic, HDR adjustments, white balance control, multi-frame capture, etc). Also would like to see more improvement to the audio playback and video playback - such as improving video quality and audio quality.

Everything else is great. No need to change the UI at all.

saintforlife
May 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
The new design is hot. Like it or not, it actually makes all the current android, windows, and RIM gadgets look like toys. The design material is high end and yes, I will buy 2!

I'd suggest you take a trip to the local AT&T store and take a look at the HTC One X in person. Then come and tell us if the iPhone 4S really looks better than one One X. The One X epitomizes the modern smartphone design and the iPhone design pales in comparison.

And I find nothing needs to be done with the home screen. The layout is fine, the app icons are great and nothing needs to be changed in that regard. BUT I would like to see more camera specific software features (panoramic, HDR adjustments, white balance control, multi-frame capture, etc). Also would like to see more improvement to the audio playback and video playback - such as improving video quality and audio quality.

:rolleyes: Sometimes it pays to have an open mind and see what others are putting out there in terms of UI. iOS is stale and needs a make over. Period. It is ok to call Apple out once in a while. See what happened to RIM when they stayed stagnant and didn't innovate? Why does Apple get a pass?

barredfreak
May 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
If I had a dollar for every time someone made a thread about iOS 6, I'd have enough money to buy a Mac Pro.

VulchR
May 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
Personally I hope the next iPhone and iteration of iOS flop. Perhaps then the Android trolls will stop posting in MR. :D

\-V-/
May 30, 2012, 05:10 AM
Personally I hope the next iPhone and iteration of iOS flop. Perhaps then the Android trolls will stop posting in MR. :D

I would think that would make them troll harder...

ellaimac
May 30, 2012, 05:37 AM
If I had a dollar for every time someone made a thread about iOS 6, I'd have enough money to buy a Mac Pro.

xD LOL!!!!! Or a TV.......Or a HOME!!!!

The Phazer
May 30, 2012, 05:42 AM
iOS 4 & 5 were both lacklustre compared to iOS3, so yes, it really does need to be good this time. iOS has so many fundamental flaws that need significant work.

Phazer

MonkeySee....
May 30, 2012, 05:54 AM
iOS 4 & 5 were both lacklustre compared to iOS3, so yes, it really does need to be good this time. iOS has so many fundamental flaws that need significant work.

Phazer

iOS doesn't need the redesign everyone is hoping for. It just needs a few tweaks.

Leave the complete redesigns for the competitors.

The Phazer
May 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
iOS doesn't need the redesign everyone is hoping for. It just needs a few tweaks.

Leave the complete redesigns for the competitors.

I don't really see where I advocated a redesign at all.

iOS has much more fundamental issues deep down the stack, although it has some UI clunkers that need fixing in retrospect too (sticking the private browsing control in settings rather than Safari, or it's handling of multiple pop up notifications, or EQ settings, or navigation to wifi etc etc).

Once iOS has it's existing UI sorted out we could maybe think about a new one with it's own issues...

ChrisTX
May 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
He was eaten alive by the honey badger.

I don't care what the next iPhone looks like but iOS 6 needs to update the stock apps that have barely changed since 2007, clean up Settings, and maybe make some color and placement changes to the UI. It's been five years, we've learned new things about how people use modern mobile devices. Time to make changes Apple.

MS Windows kept the start Button layout for YEARS, and Apple still uses the dock of icons in OSX. Why is it that iOS HAS to change it's look after 6 years or else? I'm not saying change is bad, but I don't think the UI is bad nor is a complete refresh a necessity.

Donka
May 30, 2012, 08:07 AM
Personally I love the iPhone 4/4s design - I wish they stuck to something similar but with the Alu backing instead of the glass. I just don't like this taller iPhone design.
The biggest changes going forward will be software though, after all Smartphones are essentially computing devices so how the software develops is what will change the experience. Add faster processors, better cameras and the like just allow the software to do more.
I for one would love to see various areas of IOS fleshed out more such as Notification widgets etc. I'm not asking for animated wallpapers or full on multitasking but a dual mode for two apps to run concurrently - essentially both in the foreground but with the focus on one would be a great addition imho.

Kyotoma
May 30, 2012, 08:27 AM
Why fix something that isn't broken? iOS works. Why change it?

ggmissmolly
May 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
I'd suggest you take a trip to the local AT&T store and take a look at the HTC One X in person. Then come and tell us if the iPhone 4S really looks better than one One X. The One X epitomizes the modern smartphone design and the iPhone design pales in comparison.

:rolleyes: Sometimes it pays to have an open mind and see what others are putting out there in terms of UI. iOS is stale and needs a make over. Period. It is ok to call Apple out once in a while. See what happened to RIM when they stayed stagnant and didn't innovate? Why does Apple get a pass?

I will if you take a trip to get some support for your Android from Verizon or ATT. No Sammy or HTC stores and no updates for your android software. That's what I want.

Go away.

Cod3rror
May 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
If you are being honest with yourself

And if you are being a bit more honest with yourself you'll realize that iOS is BY FAR the best mobile OS out there.

The UI paradigm is settled, accepted and loved by huge majority in the world, there really is no need for a revolution and reinvention here, all Apple has to do is fine-tune it, tweak it here and there, add functionality and improve performance.

If you want uncertainty and no consistency with the UI changing with each version you might want to check out Android, Google still cannot figure out how they want things to look.

4S did not let down anybody.

EDIT: And just out of the interest, you want revolutionary changes right?... exactly what do you want changed and how?

newdeal
May 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
All smart phones look pretty similar, there is only so much you can do and even if you do a full redesign the majoirty of people then go and put cases on the which all look the same anyway. The look of the hardware doesnt matter as much as the functionality. The device is all display and that is controlled by the software, other than improving the speed and the radios there isnt much else to do with the hardware using currently available technology

Slix
May 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Remember, Mac OS X hasn't drastically changed in over 10 years, why should iOS change much? Minor tweaks and fixes and adjustments are fine enough.

whodareswins
May 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
If you are being honest with yourself, I bet you saw the supposed design of the iPhone 5 that was leaked today and probably thought to yourself: Is that it after waiting for 2 years for a redesign? Just a taller iPhone 4S? It looks so ugly with the elongated design. They could have atleast made it a little wider to make the proportions look better.

If the leaked design indeed turns out to be the final design, iOS 6 will be the only redeeming factor of the next iPhone. Seriously Apple needs to make some drastic changes to iOS to make it look less stale and more modern. If iOS 6 just turns out to be an incremental update with only minor visual changes, the combination of a fugly iPhone 5 with an outdated OS may not go down well with many current iPhone users who were looking for a more revolutionary product last year and the 4S had already let them down badly.

I could not agree with you more. If Apple don't sort themselves out, I will be upgrading to an S3 or similar. iOS is way behind the competition. I am hoping these parts leaks are something apple have engineered into leading us down the wrong path!

----------

I love how you guys put up ultimatum like threads....why not submit these comments to apple directly. Email Tim and see what he thinks.

Apart from it's stale, dated and boring.

nuckinfutz
May 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
I could not agree with you more. If Apple don't sort themselves out, I will be upgrading to an S3 or similar. iOS is way behind the competition. I am hoping these parts leaks are something apple have engineered into leading us down the wrong path!

Maybe the iPhone just isn't the phone for you. They're not going to make it huge...they're not going to overdo it on the swoosh Hollywood interface.

iPhone's are about stability and nice incremental improvements.

stockscalper
May 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
Apple doesn't make big changes, in case you haven't caught onto to that yet.

iEvolution
May 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Every year it's the same spill
- rumors come out
- people complain and say its lame and they aren't going to buy it
- iPhone rumors end up true
- iPhone sets sales records

RoboCop001
May 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
iOS 6 is the update customers deserve, but not the one they need right now. So they'll bash it. Because it can take it. Because it's not their update. It's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight!!!!!!!

DODOdodoDODOdodoDODOdodoDODOdodo
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN

Fall 2012

:confused::confused:

PracticalMac
May 30, 2012, 03:40 PM

I saw nothing wrong with new iPhone design, just hope to see significant battery improvement. Don't need gimmicks.

Do agree with software needing to improve drastically. Need to allow more personalization of GUI, like some of the jailbreak goodies, but that is just a little of what is needed.

noteple
May 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Complaining about iOS / iPhone being stale is like complaining that if the design of the pencile or automobile doesn't chage I'm jumping ship.

Well jump.

The phone has evolved to a shape, size, and feature set, that work.

Ya, it can get thinner, longer battery life, more resolution in all areas of IO.

But it was never designed to be your, phone jones, entertainment device.

I'm not bashing new tech, It drives competition and product evolution.
I also look forward with anticipation to the latest and greatest, without getting my under ware in a twist.

Don't let the tech live your life for you.

If you are still heart sick over what Apple does or doesn't do.
Find yourself chanting "I have had all I can stand and I can't stand no more".
Buy a dog, name it life.
Then you will have one.

-LikesMac-
May 30, 2012, 09:11 PM
See this video guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoqW-GEdQM

There's a lot of stuff that can be put into iOS...:D

kdarling
May 30, 2012, 10:14 PM

Nice video! (100 Reasons to Jailbreak.)

Thanks!

PhoneI
May 30, 2012, 10:24 PM

Better make it a quick look because the battery life on the One X is brutal!!!

ellaimac
May 30, 2012, 10:26 PM

Except it's one year late, I saw someone on here that had antenna issues on their One X (HINT: Antenna issues = iPhone 4)

2ndchancephones
May 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
All these phone makers HAVE to make huge changes because Apple has done it right and they think those changes might bring new customers. Every friend I have that has made the switch to Android has come back to an iPhone because it works!

2ndchancephones
May 30, 2012, 10:44 PM

Uh oh!

-LikesMac-
May 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
Nice video! (100 Reasons to Jailbreak.)

Thanks!

Yepp…I think Apple should implement a lot of the features shown in the video.

Rogifan
May 31, 2012, 12:36 PM
Get rid of the ugly skeuomorpic designs. Less can me more with software too.

iEvolution
May 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
All these phone makers HAVE to make huge changes because Apple has done it right and they think those changes might bring new customers. Every friend I have that has made the switch to Android has come back to an iPhone because it works!

Yeah I swear the Samsung Galaxy SII came out two months ago and now there is already the SIII. Its ridiculous. Fragmentation is the biggest problem with Android, You have so many shapes and sizes that app development can't possibly optimize for one phone like Apple can.

Simplicity is what people want, they just want their phone to work. While Android phone developers seem to think everyone wants specs.

----------

There's a lot of stuff that can be put into iOS...:D

Well done man, I'm tempted to jailbreak my iPad.

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2012, 01:03 PM
Simplicity is what people want, they just want their phone to work. While Android phone developers seem to think everyone wants specs.

----------

Specs and some janky UI skin over Android are the only things that vendors have to promote. Android is basically the mobile equivalent of the Wintel PC. Vendors are all selling the same experience in software so they have to resort to bragging about having an HDMI port as some key product differentiator.

tigres
May 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
please :apple: re-write the mail app.

it sucks.

iJcaP
May 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
With all the promises of "an exciting year" and "incredible products & innovation", I expect A LOT not only from a software POV but also from hardware.
For me it starts with WWDC, not the iPad 3. If we see evolution/ revolution type features in OS X ML and iOS 6 PLUS brand new Macs I will definitely believe that they are not only heading in the right direction, but are also fulfilling their promises. But if it doesn't happen then, what are they waiting for?

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2012, 02:01 PM
I think iOS 6 will be a huge update.

I don't really care much about widgets. I think Siri control of basic settings will happen (Wifi, Bluetooth and more)

I expect to see Webkit enabled better in apps (and mail) so that I don't get yanked out of apps as much to look at the web.

I'd like more control over what apps open up from links.

More management of my contacts. Merge, find dupes and more.

iCloud support that is drop dead simple and powerful. I don't need an iOS filesystem but I do need proper documents support in iCloud

Maps and Turn-by-Turn GPS that shows where the industry has gotten lazy and not innovated would be great as well.

ct2k7
May 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
To those who say the UI is fine, have any of you used the Sparrow Mail app? It's simple and allows for content maximization. Floating buttons and things which autohide.

The current UI is ok, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved.

To those who say that what's not broken doesn't need fixing, why aren't we still still using the Nokia 3310?

AustinIllini
May 31, 2012, 03:30 PM
Why do you need a home run when the bases are loaded and your up 10 runs?

Apple is leagues ahead, and they're bound to sell a lot of phones with iOS 6 whether or not it's "out of the park"

ogs123
May 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
- rumors come out

It has been said many times before. The reason why it still has record sales is because the people who complain and say it's lame and their are not going to buy it are a extremely small minority that frequents forums like this. The people who buy it and make the record sales don't post on these forums.

Rogifan
May 31, 2012, 07:26 PM
Why do you need a home run when the bases are loaded and your up 10 runs?

Apple is leagues ahead, and they're bound to sell a lot of phones with iOS 6 whether or not it's "out of the park"

To me that sounds like coasting. And when Tim Cook says they're working on things that will "blow your mind" they better knock it out of the park.

b166er
May 31, 2012, 07:32 PM
The new design is hot. Like it or not, it actually makes all the current android, windows, and RIM gadgets look like toys. .

Well to be fair, to most users these phones are toys. iPhone included. The amount of people who use their smartphone for work or other "business" are very outnumbered by the people who buy one just to text and use facebook on the go.

I'm not saying these devices aren't great tools, they are. It's just that the average user doesn't use them as such.

AustinIllini
May 31, 2012, 08:47 PM
To me that sounds like coasting. And when Tim Cook says they're working on things that will "blow your mind" they better knock it out of the park.

I think true coasting would be if the next iPhone didn't have LTE. A new OS would not necessarily make the product "blow my mind" either. Particularly if the OS sucked.

The first iPhone blew our minds. No iPhone has done this since. Apple blew our minds with the iPad, and now LTE is really the next step.

chrono1081
May 31, 2012, 08:50 PM

To me, iOS is the best looking, most functional, and most stable by a long shot phone OS out there.

I personally don't want that to change. I use my phone to get things done, not to play with so I appreciate Apples design.

ct2k7
May 31, 2012, 09:25 PM
To me, iOS is the best looking, most functional, and most stable by a long shot phone OS out there.

I personally don't want that to change. I use my phone to get things done, not to play with so I appreciate Apples design.

Apple's pushing the gaming side of iOS. In fact, if Apple were solely focussing on productivity over fun, then we'd be missing a lot of things.

Sensamic
May 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
I think most of you guys will be dissapointed when iOS 6 features are announced.

You know what kind of new stuff Apple likes to bring with each new iOS?

Lets remember what happened last year... Reminders App? Oh, cool! New newsstand App? So cool! And they called those two of the ten biggest new features... So be prepared to be dissapointed again...

The things Im expecting surely are new Maps App, facebook integration and, as always, new stuff for the classic apps like Safari, Mail, Photos, etc.

Nothing more.

Dont ask what Apple wont give you.

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2012, 09:46 PM
iOS 5 was a beast of an update.

I do NOT want to go back to iOS 4 on ANY device.

ct2k7
May 31, 2012, 10:17 PM
iOS 5 was a beast of an update.

I do NOT want to go back to iOS 4 on ANY device.

iOS 5 also had many issues.

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Not enough for me to want to go back to tethered updates, lack of Wifi Sync and iCloud for backups.

I use Reader & Reading List in Safari Mobile every day.
I have Shortcuts that I rely on for text expansion
Notification Center is light years beyond the previous mess.

iOS 5 isn't perfect but man Apple nailed it with PC Free. Now it's time to close up loose ends.

thejadedmonkey
May 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
On a superficial level, iOS is old and boring. Sure there's a few new features, reminders, etc, for iOS 5 that weren't there in iOS 4, but to people like my girlfriend, she sees iOS 1 -> iOS 5 as the same OS. And for people like her, iOS is getting stale.

I hate to say it, but Apple needs to change how iOS functions on a basic level if they want to keep their market share.

throAU
May 31, 2012, 11:05 PM

Phazer

List of "fundamental flaws" please.

If its because you can't run unsigned code, that is by design....

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
Seriously Apple needs to make some drastic changes to iOS to make it look less stale and more modern.

According to whom?

Then again I enjoy wasting time every time I pick up an Android phone because each manufacturer has a "fresh" UI that isn't universal.

nuckinfutz
Jun 1, 2012, 12:28 AM
On a superficial level, iOS is old and boring. Sure there's a few new features, reminders, etc, for iOS 5 that weren't there in iOS 4, but to people like my girlfriend, she sees iOS 1 -> iOS 5 as the same OS. And for people like her, iOS is getting stale.

I hate to say it, but Apple needs to change how iOS functions on a basic level if they want to keep their market share.

You can say it all you want but it's not true.

There are still thousands upon thousands of people using flip phones that want to move up to Smartphones.

iPhone availability is only getting better. Now pre-paid iPhones are available.

Folks the primary goal of the OS is to stay OUT of your way and let the applications shine. That is why the iPhone continues to beat out all challengers. In the end it's not about iOS but what iOS can do to support great apps.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 1, 2012, 12:57 AM
Folks the primary goal of the OS is to stay OUT of your way and let the applications shine. That is why the iPhone continues to beat out all challengers. In the end it's not about iOS but what iOS can do to support great apps.

That is something lost on a tech forum.
"geeks" see smart phones as computers to tinker with.
Consumers see smart phones as any other consumer electronic (think appliance) and just expect it to work and work well.

macbook pro i5
Jun 1, 2012, 01:54 AM
Yeah I swear the Samsung Galaxy SII came out two months ago and now there is already the SIII. Its ridiculous. Fragmentation is the biggest problem with Android, You have so many shapes and sizes that app development can't possibly optimize for one phone like Apple can.

----------

Ok I love the iPhone as much as the next guy,But the sIII came out a year after the SII

iEvolution
Jun 1, 2012, 03:35 AM
Ok I love the iPhone as much as the next guy,But the sIII came out a year after the SII

Depends on the variant, the last variant with the 1.5 ghz dual-core came out for t-mobile in October 2011. That's only what 6/7 months ago?

DerekRod
Jun 1, 2012, 03:36 AM

Yeah but the SII was getting alot of advertising late in the game I didn't hear about till about February of this year,but then again im not really big into Android rumors.My animosity isn't with Android either its entirely with google

macbook pro i5
Jun 1, 2012, 04:14 AM
Depends on the variant, the last variant with the 1.5 ghz dual-core came out for t-mobile in October 2011. That's only what 6/7 months ago?

That much is true though,Good to know some people that prefer iPhone actually also look at the android side.

Rogifan
Jun 1, 2012, 12:23 PM

There are still thousands upon thousands of people using flip phones that want to move up to Smartphones.

Yeah outside of Safari, mail and having Siri set up reminders for me I don't use much of iOS itself; it's all apps. And I think iOS apps are still much better than the competition.

lordofthereef
Jun 1, 2012, 04:11 PM
My feeling is that IF (and that's a big if) the rumors we are seeing are true, we will likely see some unique feature to iOS6 that won't be available on any of the previous iPhones. Otherwise, I see no reason to simply elongate the screen at all. Being that I haven't seen the actualy product, it's a little harder for me to say what I think it will look like. With a bigger screen I was hoping for a drastically reduced bezel. The leaks tend to suggest that isn't the case. I suppose only time will tell. What we are seeing today may be complete baloney anyway.

thejadedmonkey
Jun 2, 2012, 05:25 AM

And you can deny all that you want, but that doesn't make it true either. And maybe I'm wrong, but when my non-techie girlfriend starts telling me how old and boring iOS is, there's something up. And it's not good for Apple.

Jagardn
Jun 2, 2012, 07:45 AM

Agreed.

Are there some features that I'd like built into the OS, yes. But there is always an app to cover it if not, and a great app at that. I have to pay for a great app, but in the long run, money is what makes developers make great apps.

IMO, Android Market is less likely to succeed long term because developers don't make near as much cash as the App Store. Most Android users I know refuse to pay for apps, they always look for the free alternative. I on the other hand see value in paying for something that does exactly what I want, not settle for something that does some of what I want.

nuckinfutz
Jun 2, 2012, 10:18 AM
And you can deny all that you want, but that doesn't make it true either. And maybe I'm wrong, but when my non-techie girlfriend starts telling me how old and boring iOS is, there's something up. And it's not good for Apple.

I'm not discounting her personal opinion which is every bit as valid as anyone else. What I'm saying is that consumers tend to value familiarity over flashy. For every person that is bored with iOS there are 5 that will be happy that iOS 6 has not changed so significantly that they don't have to relearn much.

Agreed.

Are there some features that I'd like built into the OS, yes. But there is always an app to cover it if not, and a great app at that. I have to pay for a great app, but in the long run, money is what makes developers make great apps.

IMO, Android Market is less likely to succeed long term because developers don't make near as much cash as the App Store. Most Android users I know refuse to pay for apps, they always look for the free alternative. I on the other hand see value in paying for something that does exactly what I want, not settle for something that does some of what I want.

Yeah I have a friend that had a Verizon rep say "Android is cheaper because 70% of the apps are free"

Way to perpetuate that people shouldn't buy apps. Yet Verizon is more than happy to try to sell you a bunch of superfluous services.

bjones521
Jun 2, 2012, 10:58 AM
I actually feel the same way about IOS6. I had an android for about 2 years before switching to the 4s in Feb. I had the Evo then the Galaxy S2. Do I think IOS is a great fluid OS? Hell Yea! But does it lack functionality? Of course!

All i want with IOS to not even consider the GalaxyS3 is an improved status bar. Apple, I don't need to know what service provider I have. Tell me something that can help me!!

Apple, u gotta give me widgets in the notification center! The main thing I miss about android is the widget that u can control Bluetooth, wifi, screen brightness ect. I hate having to ALWAYS go to setting for everything. Why not make it easier?

AndyK
Jun 2, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm new to using iOS so am wondering, are major iOS upgrades free for users with the devices or is it something we buy through the Appstore?

nuckinfutz
Jun 2, 2012, 11:21 AM
Apple, u gotta give me widgets in the notification center! The main thing I miss about android is the widget that u can control Bluetooth, wifi, screen brightness ect. I hate having to ALWAYS go to setting for everything. Why not make it easier?

"Siri turn on Bluetooth"
"Siri turn off Wifi"

Done

I'm new to using iOS so am wondering, are major iOS upgrades free for users with the devices or is it something we buy through the Appstore?

Yes iOS upgrades are free.

jackc
Jun 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think most of you guys will be dissapointed when iOS 6 features are announced.

Definitely some people will be disappointed. But the threats to go to Android will be forgotten. It's kind of like when Alec Baldwin threatened to leave the country.

viperGTS
Jun 2, 2012, 01:34 PM

...Fully maxed out.

----------

Phazer

You're kidding right? iOS 3 to 4 was HUGE, especially in UI, with the new dock and wallpapers. It was probably the biggest change of UI in iOS history so far.

irDigital0l
Jun 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
"Siri turn on Bluetooth"
"Siri turn off Wifi"

Done

For those that don't have Siri....

iPhone 4
iPad 2
iPad (3rd gen)

we would like more widgets in NC

Tminusg
Jun 3, 2012, 08:30 PM
It would be a beautiful thing if they opened up siri to all third parties, like a siri app store for certain function sets. For example a McDonalds app that holds commands in siri such as "where is the closest McDonald's". Instead oftelling us international users "i dont freaking know I only work in the USA", itcan pull info from the app. If Apple doesn't want to input every single detail pertinent to my life why not let others do it? Think McDonald's would pay Apple a premium to input there info into Siri? Hmmmm.... Maybe?

chrf097
Jun 3, 2012, 08:51 PM

The original GSII came out a year ago. Just now recently launched was the Galaxy SII Skyrocket/Blaze which was an upgraded GSII.

milk242
Jun 3, 2012, 09:07 PM

I have to disagree. People don't enjoy change. Sure a new UI might be a nice refresh, but ultimately people are set in their ways and will get frustrated in trying something different and will usually go back to their previous habits. The iPhone is successful because they don't change the overall UI but are still able to expand features. This keeps previous iPhone users happy and keep coming back.

nuckinfutz
Jun 3, 2012, 09:15 PM
I have to disagree. People don't enjoy change. Sure a new UI might be a nice refresh, but ultimately people are set in their ways and will get frustrated in trying something different and will usually go back to their previous habits. The iPhone is successful because they don't change the overall UI but are still able to expand features. This keeps previous iPhone users happy and keep coming back.

Yup

Some people say iOS 5 wasn't a big update and I disagree. As a mobile me member I got used to wireless sync but many that setup iCloud got their first taste of it. There are a lot of little things that amount to a more satisfying experience that doesn't require relearning everything.

I bet you the Facebook feature is going to be HUGE in iOS 6 because so many applications are leveraging FB data it's currently cumbersome to authorize or quickly share data because FB's app is simply not very good.

I suspect that there will be another round of polish and much better Siri but that by and larger the good ole Grid will remain. And that will be comforting for many people.

MattInOz
Jun 4, 2012, 01:04 AM
I think Apple will deliver a nicely sized update.
Answer a few obvious questions.
Delight with a couple of new things.
Have a few challenging features in there to set up the obvious questions for next update.
Lastly highlight a few of the new API's to drive app developers to update.

To me a "Big" update is one that has to many features so useful things get lost in the noise or worse end up undercooked.

Technarchy
Jun 4, 2012, 02:00 AM
As long as I continue to not notice iOS when I am texting, talking, or opening an app, I'll be happy.

iOS's strength is how "invisible" it is while you are doing the things you really want to be doing.

Apple would be stupid to change this.

Chabba
Jun 4, 2012, 09:37 PM
One of the big things I would like to see is a proper text selection ability. Often there are times where I want to select a word or a .com address within a paragraph or bullet list, and it will select the entire list or paragraph, not the single word, no matter how I move my finger about changing the select box.

nooaah
Jun 5, 2012, 12:10 AM
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2011/10/xlarge_rawhidemac.jpg

NEED MOAR

omenatarhuri
Jun 5, 2012, 12:49 AM
Image (http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2011/10/xlarge_rawhidemac.jpg)

NEED MOAR
Whoever decided to go with this horrid texture should be fired. Please no more 'leather' pixels.

AndyK
Jun 6, 2012, 05:27 AM
In all honesty all I'd like to see changed in iOS6 is the audio drop on calls issue fixed.

frozzbite
Jun 6, 2012, 05:48 AM
i bet they will release 5 new major features and keep one for launch through an update during the iPhone 5 release

Ayemerica
Jun 6, 2012, 06:14 AM
A refresh, no. Apple doesn't need to be android. But apple can sure take that android has done with widgets and them in a way that makes them smooth with iOS.

Trhodezy
Jun 6, 2012, 06:40 AM
I feel Apple are focusing on features within iOS rather than iOS itself. Which is neither bad nor particularly good. In my honest opinion.

FoxMcCloud
Jun 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
The stock apps need to be added to app store so they can be updated more regularly. And be allowed to delete them. I seriously could not give two ***** about stocks, or a compass or whatever else is on there that gets shoved in a folder never to be seen again.

And so help me god would I love to start a new email or a new tweet directly from the Notification Centre. And would it kill them to stick the date in there too? Sometimes I just dont know what day it is when filling a form in, id like to just pull down ad see, instead i have to leave the app, look at the calendar icon if its on that screen then go back to the app praying it doesnt reset itself.

astrorider
Jun 6, 2012, 02:59 PM
One of the big things I would like to see is a proper text selection ability. Often there are times where I want to select a word or a .com address within a paragraph or bullet list, and it will select the entire list or paragraph, not the single word, no matter how I move my finger about changing the select box.

Zooming in more sometimes helps with this.

Krandor
Jun 6, 2012, 04:58 PM

I actually get annoyed when places (like facebook and recently gmail) decide to just overhaul a perfectly fine UI that works just because they haven't changed it in a while. In many cases the result in a UI that is less usable then what was where before. I'll take a usable UI over a "fresh" one.

Chabba
Jun 6, 2012, 06:53 PM
Zooming in more sometimes helps with this.

I know. It is just irritating when it doesn't work and I have to copy the entire thing, paste it in notepad, delete what I don't want and copy again.

nooaah
Jun 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
How much has OSX changed over the past several years? Not too drastically. I don't see it happening this year for ios.

applefanDrew
Jun 8, 2012, 12:12 AM
I actually get annoyed when places (like facebook and recently gmail) decide to just overhaul a perfectly fine UI that works just because they haven't changed it in a while. In many cases the result in a UI that is less usable then what was where before. I'll take a usable UI over a "fresh" one.

In other words, change it only IF the change makes a better product! Exactly!

sixteen12
Jun 8, 2012, 12:26 AM
Personally I think the beauty of iOS is the fact that it's a means to launch apps to perform specific tasks. Adding widgets keeps you in the basic os and out of the apps allowing you to do something. It's a much more refined approach IMHO.

I don't really see the need to add a calendar on my home screen, over a widget showing my last two emails, beside a picture of my girlfriend. That's just me.

I hope iOS 6 just adds to and further refines a brilliant os.

FrankieTDouglas
Jun 8, 2012, 01:23 AM
"Siri turn on Bluetooth"
"Siri turn off Wifi"

Done

"Turn off WiFi" got me: "I can't find Wifi hotspots"

"Turn on Bluetooth" got me: "Search the web for 'turn on bluetooth'"

Hastings101
Jun 8, 2012, 02:02 AM
Image (http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2011/10/xlarge_rawhidemac.jpg)

NEED MOAR

At the rate they're going iOS 6 will be rawhide themed

Leet Apple
Jun 8, 2012, 07:05 AM
i just want iOS 6 fix my 4S battery...

Tyler23
Jun 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
"Turn off WiFi" got me: "I can't find Wifi hotspots"

"Turn on Bluetooth" got me: "Search the web for 'turn on bluetooth'"

I believe the person you quoted meant that that would be a good function for Siri to have, not a feature it already has.

cadetandrew
Jun 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
i just want iOS 6 fix my 4S battery...

If I may say so myself, the 4S still has good battery. Usually it's the user causing the battery to drain.

-Kill all background running apps (double tap the home button, press and hold an app on the quick switch menu that comes up, touch the red icon on the apps to "close" them.
- Turn off wifi when you're not using it.
- Turn off location services.

Try those, then see if you have better battery life.

For everyone else interested in what iOS 6 will have, I have a blog post on http://cadetandrew.wordpress.com that summarizes all of it up.

bushman4
Jun 8, 2012, 10:22 PM
Why doubt Apple. They know they have to be creative and inventive in a new design in both Hardware & Software.
Also keep in mind that theres only so much they can do in the hardware design.

Risco
Jun 9, 2012, 12:23 PM
You have to factor in the messiah is now gone. He was famous for coming up with new ideas, and forcing his staff to work 24/7 to make it happen. Now Steve no longer steers the ship, there is not the same kind of pressure to produce. Apple are still making a shed load of sales, and their products are massively popular, if it ain't broke as they say.

Now of course this is similar what happened the last time Steve left, and within 10 years they were a shell of a company. Now while I don't think it will happen this time, I think the loss of Steve with mean Apple will feel less need to innovate.

Another thing to take on board is that Apple have always been about hardware. Their software has always been buggy on initial release and took multiple iterations to perfect. Once this has been achieved, they continue to tweak and improve. You only have to look at OSX to see that Apple really are not interested in reinventing the wheel.

FastEddiebags
Jun 9, 2012, 01:45 PM
never had an issue with battery drain. Like a previous poster stated, don't use location services for every app since it causes the phone to constantly update the location.

Benguitar
Jun 9, 2012, 02:49 PM

Personally, I'm not 100% convinced that the 'leaked' design is correct. It looks quite cluttered and I just don't think Jony Ive would have designed something like that. But that's just me. :)

As far as iOS 6 goes, I don't think it will be anything drastically different than iOS 5 except that they will probably do something Apple TV related to continually better connect all your media, hopefully update Siri and upgraded battery life is a given.

gofightlose
Jun 9, 2012, 03:47 PM
Now while I don't think it will happen this time, I think the loss of Steve with mean Apple will feel less need to innovate.

When they showed the new AppleTV ui last keynote, I felt like it was ill designed, and then we get this little bird that tells us it was something Steve had rejected. It was said however, that he had his hand in a lot of what is going to be released now, so there is hope!

bigsexyy81
Jun 9, 2012, 06:26 PM

Percent of people who complain about iOS being stale: maybe 5%

Percent of people who own an iPhone and care that it's intuitive, easy to use, and only care for 'press this icon and this happens' functionality: maybe 95%

Apple is going to cater to the majority, whether you or anyone else is happy about it or not. They have been throwing in more and more features with every iOS release (multitasking, Notification Center, etc) so those that care for them can use them. I use NC and multitasking multiple times a day. My wife, mother-in-law, most of my friends and co-workers? Most don't even know what it is till I show them and don't use it even after I have shown it to them.

Don't expect iOS 6 to be some radical change. It is not going to happen. You will still have pages of icons and a dock.

HonestEnd
Jun 10, 2012, 03:36 AM
- rumors come out

EVERY FREAKIN' YEAR! Don't see how people don't get this.

taedouni
Jun 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
iOS 6 is the update customers deserve, but not the one they need right now. So they'll bash it. Because it can take it. Because it's not their update. It's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight!!!!!!!

DODOdodoDODOdodoDODOdodoDODOdodo
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN

Fall 2012

:confused::confused:
Haha lol.
Thanks man for the good laugh. After the first line I knew what you were aiming for. Good line and great movie.