PDA

View Full Version : Why do apps always start in desktop 1?

vexorg
May 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
Why do apps always start in desktop 1?? What's the point of multiple desktops if they all default to desktop 1 then you need to move it.

I love the old spaces format in leopard / snowleopard, jump to a new screen and open the apps you need for whatever you are doing.

And to make it worse, the assign to this desktop is useless. It moves the view to that desktop and then opens the app in desktop 1.

You can't easily move apps between desktops, not like space of grab a window and cmd + arrow to zip through them.

I've searched around and can see no easy answer, is it a bug? or am I missing something?

sidewinder
May 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
That's not the behavior I see. Unless the app is already pinned to a particular desktop, it always opens in the desktop I am in. When I pin it, it always opens where I pin it.

S-

vexorg
May 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
And say you don't pin it as I want the app to open in whatever desktop I am currently working - not desktop 1. Rather than go hunting to find where the app has gone.

sidewinder
May 31, 2012, 12:29 PM
Unpinned apps always open in the desktop I am currently in when I open them.

S-

Simplicated
May 31, 2012, 12:36 PM
Do you have Resume enabled? That might be the cause.

vexorg
May 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
What's Resume?

Simplicated
Jun 1, 2012, 02:20 AM
What's Resume?

It's a new feature in OS X 10.7 Lion that automatically saves the state of the application, including open panels and window locations, and restores upon relaunch. It's enabled by default and it might explain that.