PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft Calling Windows XP Home Edition Deceiving?

GodBless
Jul 14, 2005, 05:29 AM
Look at this (http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/products/windows-xp/microsoft-windows-xp.mspx?xid=A060100DBA0) Microsoft website.

After you see the most humorous ad ever at the top of the web site notice what it says on the top right side next to the ad. Here is what it says:

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/images/vog_hero_right.gif

Basically what Microsoft is saying is that Windows XP Home Edition has a deceiving appearance. The company doesn't have to put itself down to sell Windows XP Professional but it is choosing to. Talk about an unprofessional way to sell a product with professional in the name. (Well, honestly the only thing professional about Windows XP Professional is the professional in the name.)

Why does Microsoft even sell a rundown version of their operating system? I mean just think about it. Apple doesn't sell two versions of OS X. Apple only offers the best; they don't keep it from people like Microsoft does.

Wes
Jul 14, 2005, 05:57 AM
Apple doesn't sell two versions of OS X.

You mean like... Mac OS X Standard and Mac OS X Server?

Sorry for the nitpick...

GodBless
Jul 14, 2005, 06:11 AM

Sorry for the nitpick...Oh come on. Microsoft sells Windows Server 2003. Technically in your terms it would be like saying that Microsoft sells 3 versions of Windows.

A server and a client OS are two different worlds.

witness
Jul 14, 2005, 06:26 AM
Oh come on. Microsoft sells Windows Server 2003. Technically in your terms it would be like saying that Microsoft sells 3 versions of Windows.

A server and a client OS are two different worlds.
Actually Microsoft sell several versions of their server OS too, so there's probably about 6 or 7 versions in all ;)

GodBless
Jul 14, 2005, 06:35 AM
Actually Microsoft sell several versions of their server OS too, so there's probably about 6 or 7 versions in all ;)Good point. I guess in Wes' terms these would count as versions of the current Windows operating system:

- Windows 64Bit Edition
- Windows Media Center Edition
- Windows Tablet Edition
- Windows Compact Edition (CE)
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Windows XP Professional Edition
- Windows Server 2003 Edition

Does anyone know of any others?

witness
Jul 14, 2005, 06:47 AM
Good point. I guess in Wes' terms these would count as versions of the current Windows operating system:

- Windows 64Bit Edition
- Windows Tablet Edition

Enterprise Edition
Datacenter Edition
Web Edition

asif786
Jul 14, 2005, 06:48 AM
aren't they emphasizing the word 'genuine' as opposed to 'professional'?

i thought they're just trying to get more people to buy windows legally..

Jaffa Cake
Jul 14, 2005, 06:55 AM
Well, the site is a site for Small Businesses, so them touting Professional as the way to go isn't really a big deal, in my opinion. There will be Microsoft sites targeted at home users that extol the virtues of XP Home Edition they're just saying here that they have different products that are tailored for different markets, that's all.

Mind you, with the animation they seem to be saying their users are all a load of sheep, so you never know... ;)

mpw
Jul 14, 2005, 07:11 AM
Good point. I guess in Wes' terms these would count as versions of the current Windows operating system:

- Windows 64Bit Edition
- Windows Tablet Edition

Windows Mobile
Windows Mobile - Phone Edition

GodBless
Jul 14, 2005, 07:31 AM
Mind you, with the animation they seem to be saying their users are all a load of sheep, so you never know... ;)I think Microsoft is saying that the Windows XP Professional Edition users are sheep and Windows XP Home Edition users are wolves in sheep's skin. Think about it; it says "Appearances can be deceiving. Only genuine Microsoft Windows XP Professional gives you..." as opposed to Windows XP Home Edition giving you things.

MisterMe
Jul 14, 2005, 07:45 AM

Sorry for the nitpick...There is no such thing as MacOS X Standard. There is MacOS X and MacOS X Server. MacOS X Server is not a different OS. It is MacOS X with addition utilities to facilitate its role as a server OS. This is quite unlike Windows XP Home Edition which cannot perform the same functions as Windows XP Professional, particularly those associated with networking. Needless to say, no amount of additions to any version of Windows XP turns it into a server OS. For that, you have to go to a completely different product line.

Jay42
Jul 14, 2005, 07:51 AM
I agree that this does look weird after reading it at first. However, I think the point that they are trying to make is in conjunction with the little animated ad deelee. I think they are saying that theres a lotta bootleg and pirated windows stuff out there, and people shouldnt fall for their decieving appearances.

It is weird that they claim xp pro more reliable than the other versions.

dmw007
Jul 14, 2005, 08:33 AM
Is Microsoft Calling Windows XP Home Edition Deceiving?

Well ya. As poor of an OS Windows XP is they should just call it Windows XP Piece of ****** Edition.
I mean, who really wants Windows in their home?
Not I.

GodBless
Jul 14, 2005, 08:41 AM
Is Microsoft Calling Windows XP Home Edition Deceiving?

Well ya. As poor of an OS Windows XP is they should just call it Windows XP Piece of ****** Edition.
I mean, who really wants Windows in their home?
Not I.

Here's some humor you might enjoy:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22284

I made it in Photoshop.

dmw007
Jul 14, 2005, 08:49 AM
I made both of them in Photoshop.

Awesome - a job well, well done.
Thank You very much for a good laugh before I head to work!

michaelrjohnson
Jul 14, 2005, 09:29 AM
How about this one?:

X = "ten"

5300cs
Jul 15, 2005, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if M$ was insulting it's customer base. Look at the ads for M$ Office where it depicted current Office users as dinosaurs :rolleyes:

While advertising volume may be their strong point, creativity and effectiveness are not.

dsharits
Jul 15, 2005, 07:43 AM
Microsoft has no ethics whatsoever. I am so glad to be a Mac user.

question fear
Jul 15, 2005, 08:06 AM

I made both of them in Photoshop.

I LOVE the x-pee one! great job! you should make more!

dmw007
Jul 15, 2005, 05:50 PM
I LOVE the x-pee one! great job! you should make more!

Yes, I agree.
How bout one with Steve Jobs taking a piss on Bill Gates! :)

jdechko
Jul 19, 2005, 08:19 AM
I love this picture. I didn't make it myself, but nonetheless I find it amusing.

mad jew
Jul 19, 2005, 08:21 AM
I love this picture:

Nice. Let's hope it's rock solid...

...Okay, I'll go now. :o