Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hi there,
I'm running Lion Internet Recovery on my MBP13 (late 2010). It's at the download stage.

I understand that it has about 4GB to download, but it started off saying 107 hours, then after 30 minutes, it says 48 hours. (So, maybe I just need to be patient and wait longer.)

I'm a US customer using the US store but am currently located in southern Brazil. Though, my internet connection is normally very fast (10Mbps).

So, is this normal behavior or is something going wrong?

btw, Before starting the Lion install, I used Disk Utility to create a single partition using the entire size of the new 500GB drive. Is that correct? Do I need to leave some extra space for Lion to create it's Recovery partition, or does Lion Install do all that?

Thanks,
nick

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I either get a good 45 minute download of the iOS (20 Mb download speed) or at times depending on the Server speed, I could get many hours. One time it showed over 55,000,000 hours and had to call tech support to see what the issue was. I to used just a single partition. Others will weigh in on their experiences

Good luck ;)

nickdag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Update after 3.25 hours

After 3.25 hours, it says 21 hours left, and the progress bar shows about 1/5 completed (not 1/5 left).

-nick

nickdag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
update

After about 15 hours (during the last 8 hours of which the status didn't change), the installation finally failed. I received the grayed-out screen and a message to power down.

Incidentally, I only discovered the log near the end of this process and saw that there were several odd errors. Unfortunately, I couldn't/didn't save any of it to copy here.

I restarted Internet Recovery, and this time it seems to be working correctly. I started off showing 3 hours to complete, and it's making super-fast progress. At this rate, it'll complete the download in less than an hour.

I must be experiencing some weird hardware problem. (I have a separate thread on that here https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14939737

Why did Internet Recovery fail in the first place? The HD is new. What problem could be intermittent like this?

Thanks,
nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.