PDA

View Full Version : Jailbroken AppleTV - what video formats will it play?

jataga
May 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
New to the forum so hopefully I can get as much detail in my question and logic behind what I'm asking.

My question: Will a new jailbroken AppleTV play all of the most common video file formats? Those being .AVI, .MKV, .MTS, .MP4, .MOV, .WMV, .MPV and others.

I had the original AppleTV about 4 years ago and sold it to buy a Boxee Box because the AppleTV would not play .AVI, .MKV, .MTS and other file formats besides .MP4, .MOV and few other video files. The Boxee has been perfect for what I use it for which is simply viewing my own video files. I can care less about Hulu, Vudu and features of Boxee and AppleTV.

A friend of mine mentioned that a jailbroken AppleTV 2 would read any video format. True?

heisenberg123
May 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
New to the forum so hopefully I can get as much detail in my question and logic behind what I'm asking.

My question: Will a new jailbroken AppleTV play all of the most common video file formats? Those being .AVI, .MKV, .MTS, .MP4, .MOV, .WMV, .MPV and others.

I had the original AppleTV about 4 years ago and sold it to buy a Boxee Box because the AppleTV would not play .AVI, .MKV, .MTS and other file formats besides .MP4, .MOV and few other video files. The Boxee has been perfect for what I use it for which is simply viewing my own video files. I can care less about Hulu, Vudu and features of Boxee and AppleTV.

A friend of mine mentioned that a jailbroken AppleTV 2 would read any video format. True?

True a jailbroken Atv will play all those

Gjwilly
May 30, 2012, 07:45 PM
A jailbroken ATV won't play any of those until you install 3rd party software.
Might be obvious but since you are new I thought it was worth mentioning.
Didn't want you to think it was a magic one-step process.
Welcome and good luck.

maturola
May 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
once you are jailbroken you can install other players that can read any of those formats.

fullsmoke
May 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
once you are jailbroken you can install other players that can read any of those formats.

What players do this? I just jailbroke my 2g but I'm doing research into the different players (NitoTV, XBMC) but am getting very confused. Do I have to install both of those to play other formats over my network? Or can I just install XBMC (without NitoTV)?

Basically, all I want my 2g Apple TV to do is play videos (in all different formats) over my network (from my computer and NAS drives). What is the simplest thing I can install to accomplish this task?

Thanks! (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack but it seemed relevant)

maturola
May 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
As on any platform each player have some pros and cons... it all depend on what you need..

Here is some of the bigest:

XBMC: can read from NAS, don't need a computer running, it can read pretty much any format. on the other hand, it required quite a bit of setup, it can be somehow complex.

Plex: Require a computer running the plex server.

ATV: flash, lightwight, easy to setup, can read from NAS, doesn't required a computer. it cost money: $30.

I personally use Plex, since i can stream my media over the internet and i got a media server running all the time anyways.

fullsmoke
May 31, 2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info.

One more question: in order to use XBMC, does NitoTV have to be installed? After reading XBMC's wiki page it seems as if it instructs you to install NitoTV when installing XBMC.

I'm going for a very minimalistic setup/install...

maturola
May 31, 2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info.

One more question: in order to use XBMC, does NitoTV have to be installed? After reading XBMC's wiki page it seems as if it instructs you to install NitoTV when installing XBMC.

I'm going for a very minimalistic setup/install...

Nitotv is really pretty small, and it is not a bad thing to have, however it is not really required for XBMC, you can install XBMC manually. (however, that way you will have to install, update and maintain all package you need/want manually).

You can read here how to install it manually:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_2