Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2005
I am developing a frontend that is mainly PHP/MySQL/XHTML Transitional/CSS. Also all of the pages meet at least the very basic section 508 compatibility requirements. Is developing for IE Mac still something that should be completed? Keep in mind I'm meeting or exceeding standards compliance in the browsers listed below.

1. Mozilla Firefox 1.0.5 (PC & Mac)
2. Safari (2.0)
3. IE for Windows

Thoughts?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I figure you may as well so long as it's not too hard. I know heaps of people on these boards wont touch IE for Mac but that's not necessarily the case in the real Mac-using but not Mac-fanatics community. I know plenty of Mac users who still use IE simply because they don't know any better. They see the familiar symbol and half the time don't even realise there are far superior alternatives. :rolleyes:

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
My step-dad is one of those people that uses IE Mac. He used Navigator for years, then started using IE 5 Mac when it came out in OS 9, and he continues to use it because it's what he knows. I can't wait to install Tiger and have it not be there. :D

If you get users for IE Mac on your website, then you should support it. Since I get minimal users in IE Mac (I'm talking a few every year) I've decided to not really bother with it and display a warning at the top of every page telling them to switch to another browser (for a personal site).

I think the decision relies on the number of IE Mac users you get, and whether or not the site is for business or just personal.
-Chase

brianjking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Well, that is frustrating is that the website is for a product being developed for the higher education istitution for which I am employed. Thus compatibility such as section 508 compliance for those with disabilities is highly important...Hmm.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
brianjking said:
Well, that is frustrating is that the website is for a product being developed for the higher education istitution for which I am employed. Thus compatibility such as section 508 compliance for those with disabilities is highly important...Hmm.

I don't understand what accessibility has to do with IE Mac. Would you mind expand on your comments a bit please?
-Chase

brianjking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2005
The reason the website does not display properly in some of the pages is because IE does not properly render the code, or some of the accessibility functionality is just not part of the browsers rendering engine, thus it can't be implemented or at least not to the level that it can be in the other browsers.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Not many people use IE for Mac. It's about .2% of all my viewers, so I would imagine thats around avg. So 1/200 people browsing your site will use IE 5.0. So its up to you, do you think it's worth it? Personally, I don't fuss more than a few minutes and if I can't get it to work in IE for Mac, i'm over it. Its a discontinued browser.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
brianjking said:
...IE does not properly render the code...

Or you are using features IE doesn't support. Post a URL if you need help.

I too find the lack of connection between accessibility and the browser. Most accessibility utilities are provided by the OS specific applications such as screen readers, voice command, etc - they aren't usually handled by the browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.