Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Philippines
Worm_Win32_Flame.jpg

Image source: Wired
Anti-malware researchers CrySys Lab, Kaspersky Labs, and Symantec warn netizens of a computer malware described as ‘the most sophisticated cyberweapon yet unleashed’. Known as Worm.Win32.Flame, the new malware has been uncovered in computers in the Middle East and may have infected machines in some European countries.

Unlike a typical malware which size is normally measured in a few hundred kilobytes (kB), Worm.Win32.Flame’s initial module is thought to be about 6MB. It comes with some 20 other modules, resulting in 20MB total size.

Dubbed as ‘Flame’ by Kaspersky Labs, Worm.Win32.Flame has various avenues of harvesting information from an infected machine such as the keyboard, display, microphone, storage devices, network connectivity, USB, and system processes.

Given its unusual size and capability, researchers believe that ‘Flame’ might be developed with government backing and is intended for cyber espionage.

Source: WSJ

So, what's your opinion on this?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Well it's been spotted now. Give it a week or so and all the anti-virus software will have been updated to deal with it.

Not sure what to think about the government thing. Tbh, I don't really care as I know it won't effect me.

ellaimac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Philippines
Well it's been spotted now. Give it a week or so and all the anti-virus software will have been updated to deal with it.

Not sure what to think about the government thing. Tbh, I don't really care as I know it won't effect me.

I think it means that the malware was planted by the gov. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.