PDA

View Full Version : Boot problem question - lion boot recovery dvd disk

cool11
May 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
Today I had my first frustrating experience in mac, since I made the switch, many years ago.
After running and uninstalling(with its official uninstaller provided) autocad 2013, my mac went away!

After a reboot, it never boot again. It stacked in the boot screen, in the grey screen with apple logo and the circle below.

I booted into recovery hard disk option, and I made repair permissions and repair disk. For the first time in my life I saw repairing to last about 20 minutes, in ssd drive!
But, even after this task, it did not booted.

The only thing that saved me was my superduper backup. I made a restoration and now my mac works again.

I really cannot understand what happened, so if anybody has a clue, please tell me.

Also I would like to know about the option of re-installing lion.
Can I make a recovery boot dvd of lion?
Can this help me in the future in a case like this one?
Will I keep all my files and settings after a re-installing of lion?
Will it go back to a previous version of lion? If I had 10.7.4 and dvd disk has 10.7, will I have then, a 10.7 system and so I will have to download all updates from the start?

I would like to have your comments about what could have happened to my system, and about recovery disk of lion.

cool11
Jun 1, 2012, 03:38 AM
Αny ideas? :(

Weaselboy
Jun 1, 2012, 08:34 AM
It sounds like either you or the Autocad uninstaller removed a OS X system file required to run the system.

You can make your own Lion install/boot DVD. If Lion came with your computer you will need to use this (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716&query=lion+usb) admittedly arduous process. If you bought Lion from the app store it is much easier. Just start the App Store app and hold down the option button while you click the purchases button. Then redownload Lion and make yourself a install DVD or USB key by following this (http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/).

Reinstalling Lion over top of your system will only reinstall Lion and will not delete or remove your data as long as you just do an install and do not erase the drive with Disk Utility.

It will install whatever version is on your DVD. So for example if your DVD has 10.7.2 on it, you will need to run software update to update to 10.7.4. It will just be one system update though. You would not need to DL 10.7.2, then 10.7.3, then 10.7.4... it will DL straight to 10.7.4 or whatever the latest version is.

When you grab the installer from the App Store though it is always the latest version, so if you make an installer today it would be 10.7.4. It is helpful to have a boot DVD or USB key around to avoid the long download time of a Lion reinstall if you are maybe away from home and not on a fast connection.

Tgantt
Jun 1, 2012, 02:43 PM
:apple:I have close to the same problem. I power up Apple logo, pinwheel and loading bar at bottom. 30 secs late cuts off. Tried Disk Utl. and says boot file corrupted back up and reinstall OS. If you make a USB recovery do U need the internet to contact apple store?:apple:

shurcooL
Jun 1, 2012, 03:10 PM
Can I make a recovery boot dvd of lion?
You certainly can (http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive).

Will I keep all my files and settings after a re-installing of lion?
Not if you choose to erase all the contents of your drive and install Lion from scratch. You can restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup, though.

Weaselboy
Jun 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
:apple:I have close to the same problem. I power up Apple logo, pinwheel and loading bar at bottom. 30 secs late cuts off. Tried Disk Utl. and says boot file corrupted back up and reinstall OS. If you make a USB recovery do U need the internet to contact apple store?:apple:

If you have made yourself a full Lion installer USB key, you can install without Internet access. However, it you jus made the recovery USB key, then yes you will need Internet access to DL the actual Lion install.