Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Link

Short Wired article talking about too many young bloods and not enough positions.

Premise is okay, but not real depth to the story. Hollywood has always been a saturated workplace with dozens, if not hundreds, of people competing for every lowest of the low end, unpaid position just in hopes of getting their foot in the door.

I do agree though that it's probably harder than ever to break into the industry partly because of the increased quality and decreased costs of DIY productions. The difficulty of making a no-budget movie used to be a natural weeding out process (the people who had the talent and desire would typically find a way to get it done, and those that didn't didn't) but that's no longer the case. Saying "hey, I have a DV movie" is about as impressive as saying "hey, I have a script."

The technology has definitely been a mixed blessing for those trying to break into the industry professionally.

Lethal

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the link. Very good for me as i would love to pursue a career in film. However for that reason im having doubts about studying it.

I couldn't agree more that programs like iMovie have seen large numbers of people wanting to get into the film industry, me including. Its so easy now and im even using my 12 inch iBook with an external hardrive and i reckon the work i have been able to archive looks pretty pro.

Then there is the possibility of spending years learning the art of film to end up not getting a career in film. That is my greatest fear and for that reason i will more than likely be studying law at uni next year.

How i would love to do film, but uni in Australia require portfolios and the prospect of not breaking into film like i mentioned is a fear for me. Also my parents are disappointed in me for wanting to study and waste away my life for no reason.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
DeSnousa said:
Also my parents are disappointed in me for wanting to study and waste away my life for no reason.

I can totally understand why you might be apprehensive about it (and why your parents would be, too) but as a person with another completely pointless major by many people's standards (vocal performance/opera), I'm faced with justifying my studies of something that I probably will never have a career in and really isn't terribly practical. There's something to be said for doing something because you just enjoy doing it (esp. in the US, we're overly practical and headstrong about things like that)! If you never give it a shot and don't go after what you really desire, you might get caught 20 years down the line wishing you had. I turned down a pretty prestigious school for international relations where I know I could have gotten a great career to study music because that's where my heart was. Not to go all sentimental, etc, but I've discovered that, despite the impracticalities of it all, following your heart will make you at least somewhat more content and you'll probably learn more from it than pursuing something because you know it'll make things simpler/more stable down the line, even if you fail.

Sure, things may be more difficult studying one of the artistic fields, but you'll develop so much as a person and creative individual that you can bring to so many parts of your life. Would you ever regret pursuing one of your passions and knowing that you gave it your all? There may be days, but I'll bank that more often than not, you'd be content in that choice, even if you just keep it up as a hobby after you graduate.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
aboutthat: TRUTH.

If you pursue something like law when your passions lie elsewhere, you may be able to slog through, get the work done and get a decently paying job, but I don't think you'll ever really be HAPPY. Study what drives your passions when you have the chance, hone your craft, and you'll be able to pursue that career. There's a big difference between someone who idly decided "oh, I'll study film" and someone who really has a passion and creative eye, and employers will be able to see the difference.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for those kind words :)

Don't get me wrong my parents want hate me, i know they love me. Also i do law at school and i enjoy the subject and i get good grades in it. However with that said i will seriously consider studying film as the above poster had said, that i will regret it in the fututre.

Oh well decisions decisions, 2 months before i need to lodge my course selection.

Thanks again it really does mean alot to me. I think i just need to realise that there is time in life to study and enjoy, that i should give it a try :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.