Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I want to purchase a 6G nano to use as an "always on" background music system for an elderly parent, in a "set and forget" fashion. It will remain plugged into the wall outlet, the audio output connected to a stereo receiver, playing started in Shuffle mode, and ideally not touched thereafter for a real long time. "On/Off" and Volume will be controlled only at the stereo receiver, and I want to simply leave the Nano always-on/playing. The Nano will be out of sight and hidden from meddling fingers.

In this application the Nano's battery is effectively just a back-up battery in the event of a power outage. The question: Will the Nano remain on and keep playing uninterrupted in Shuffle mode while switching back and forth between wall-power and battery power (assuming the batteries are sufficiently charged)?

I suspect the answer is yes but would appreciate confirmation from someone with hands-on knowledge. Thanks.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
switching back and forth between wall-power and battery power (assuming the batteries are sufficiently charged)?

Thanks.

It will do what you said.

It will be like if you left a laptop always plugged into the mains the battery life will be effected over time meaning less capacity leading to less time it can run if the power went out. This happens because the battery is begin used because when the charging stops when full the battery will discharge slightly and thus leading to it begin charged up again so this uses a very small part of that battery and this will eventually destroy the battery. Thats rechargeable battery technology for you. Hope this helps.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Caveat: If you're using the headphone jack to provide the audio to the stereo, it will play continuously. If you're using the dock connector (via a line-level-out, such as a stereo with a built-in dock, or a dock with an audio-out jack,) it WILL stop playing when power is cut.

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks A. Freak, this is exactly the kind of details I was looking for. You inspired me to dig a little deeper into the dock connector pinouts where I found the statement regarding pin 21:

Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut. Looks to be that when this pin is grounded it closes a switch so that on loss of power the Ipod shuts off. Dock has the same Resistor.

Thanks again.

Caveat: If you're using the headphone jack to provide the audio to the stereo, it will play continuously. If you're using the dock connector (via a line-level-out, such as a stereo with a built-in dock, or a dock with an audio-out jack,) it WILL stop playing when power is cut.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
How do you plan to keep the stereo operational during the power outage? I'm just curious.

I think the OP is going more for "I want there to still be music available once the power comes back on, without having to touch the iPod" rather than "I need playback whether there's power or not".

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
How do you plan to keep the stereo operational during the power outage? I'm just curious.

Yes if you are asking about the nano being able to play I would only guess that you would ask that because you would want to hear the music and given that I would ask the same question

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think the OP is going more for "I want there to still be music available once the power comes back on, without having to touch the iPod" rather than "I need playback whether there's power or not".

I can see the OP thinking that way. My thing is that unless the stereo is battery powered, then it probably won't turn back on after a power outage. Most stereos that I've seen these days have power buttons, rather than power switches. So when the power kicks back on, then you have to press the power button to turn it back on.

I wonder if the OP has thought about that?

Yes if you are asking about the nano being able to play I would only guess that you would ask that because you would want to hear the music and given that I would ask the same question
The OP may be better off having a set of battery powered speakers ... something like a Logitech with rechargeable batteries. You leave the iPod in and it keeps playing through an outage. When the power comes back on, everything's intact.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I see it, since the OP mentions the stereo will be used for on/off, as "iPod is a nonstop source of music, to be only turned on or off at the stereo level - if there is a power outage, I just want the 'music source' to be available with no input once the power returns and the user turns the stereo back on."

johannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Just to clarify... I have a very simple remote control for the stereo, the remote has only a few very large buttons which control volume and on/off. Shuffle mode for the music is perfect as this senior citizen would not be capable of working through menus or song selection. But the parent can easily handle on/off and volume controls with this particular remote.

Hearing the music during the power outage is not a requirement. Having the music source continue playing through a power outage (or automatically restarting after a power outage) is a requirement. I knew the Nano would not auto restart, ergo the question about continually playing through the outage.

hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.