Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hey,
I have a 500gb external hard drive that is almost full. The thing is that I use if for both backup and storing some tv shows/movies. Even though my SSD is only 256gb, (and is not even using all of it) the back up is over 330gb. How can I make the back-up smaller?

Another question is that would it be possible for when I plug in the external drive, the content would show up in iTunes?

Thanks

TurretOperetta

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
Hey,
I have a 500gb external hard drive that is almost full. The thing is that I use if for both backup and storing some tv shows/movies. Even though my SSD is only 256gb, (and is not even using all of it) the back up is over 330gb. How can I make the back-up smaller?

Another question is that would it be possible for when I plug in the external drive, the content would show up in iTunes?

Thanks

I don't have an answer for the iTunes question but I believe Time Machine is set, by default, to automatically start deleting the oldest backups when the drive gets full.
Time machine backs up any files that have changed since last backup, so, for example, if you backed up a text document, and then later, made some spelling fixes, on next backup, Time Machine would copy that file over again effectively giving you two copies on your backup drive. Those old versions are what gets deleted when your drive runs out of space.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

thanks

The thing is that since I share the drive, the backup will just take over.
Is it possible that I could delete the backup folder and partition the drive so backups could only take up say 280gb? If I partition the drive would I have to wipe it?

TurretOperetta

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
thanks

The thing is that since I share the drive, the backup will just take over.
Is it possible that I could delete the backup folder and partition the drive so backups could only take up say 280gb? If I partition the drive would I have to wipe it?

I'm not sure it partitioning would work since I haven't really done much with partitioning drives. I prefer just to have separate physical drives. But yes, you would have to wipe the drive to partition it.

Personally, If possible, get a second drive to store all your movies and such. That would allow you to have more storage for music, movies, etc and a dedicated drive for your backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.