Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm using ObjC/Cocoa.

How could I go about displaying a DV stream from a Firewire source? Like, if I had a camera connected and I wanted to be able to display what the camera's seeing on screen?

I'm assuming I'd need to use the QTKit, but I can't really find appropriate documentation for what I want to do on Apple's Developer site.

I realize this is a really complicated question, but I just don't know where to start. :) Thanks!

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Apparently you do do it through quicktime and this is an example of doing it. This is in carbon. Also Apple will shortly publish a Cocoa example of this called 'WhackedTV' that was shown at WWDC but it's not on the dev site yet.

There are some open source iSight frameworks out there (iSight is a firewire camera) that may give you some clues. I can't remember what they are called but I know that GarageSale uses one of them so you may want to download that and check out the credits in their About window. I recall they did mention it there.

GAMMAH

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
When I try to build it from source I get an error about a missing SDK
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

Is this from the Universal Binary SDK? I have been trying to hunt this down to build WhackedTV from source. So far I haven't figured it out.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
GAMMAH said:
When I try to build it from source I get an error about a missing SDK
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

Is this from the Universal Binary SDK? I have been trying to hunt this down to build WhackedTV from source. So far I haven't figured it out.
Yes it appears to be the universal SDK. I can't find where to download it, though. The only place I really find Apple mentioning it is the last bullet on this page.

Thus, I can't compile WackedTV either. :confused:

EDIT: According to this page:
- the Universal SDK installed (comes with XCode 2.1; use custom installation options when installing XCode)

So I suppose it just isn't installed by "default." Guess I'll have to re-download XCode 2.1 to get this to work.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
ppc_michael said:
Guess I'll have to re-download XCode 2.1 to get this to work.
Don't you have the .dmg saved somewhere?

You could of course just change the build settings to use the normal Tiger SDK you will have installed by default. I'm presuming you have Tiger and xcode 2. The thing probably won't compile on anything else as you need the QT7 SDKs

GAMMAH

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
After going back and reinstalling xcode using the custom method, I selected to install all the SDKs and now whackedTV compiles for me. It's a really cool app as well. All the stackable audio filters are badass...

georgen

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
perfect solution

hi

Thanks for the sw.

What I was looking for was for a piece of SW that will be displaying the output of a Firewire digitizer in real time.

I am using this in order to watch TV :)

If you have anything else to suggest let me know....

Thanks a lot for the support

George

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.