PDA

View Full Version : Terminal - "You have mail"

ideal.dreams
Jun 2, 2012, 10:15 PM
I opened up Terminal to be greeted with "You have mail". I typed in "mail" and got many different messages - all have the same content and I get one every day at the same time. One of the messages is below. Can anyone tell me why it's doing this? How can I fix the problem so I stop getting these messages? Any help would be appreciated!

http://imgcapture.info/skitch//adamseidler_%E2%80%94_mail_%E2%80%94_80%C3%9724-20120602-231535.png

whiteonline
Jun 3, 2012, 12:50 AM
Looks like you had Clover Diary installed at one time?
Apparently it sets up a cron job under your user account.

If you are familiar with vi (not sure what your default editor is in terminal), type the command, "crontab -e" to edit your crontab. You should see a line trying to run DiaryChecker or something similar. Delete that line, save and quit. That should stop the messages.

ideal.dreams
Jun 3, 2012, 01:01 AM

If you are familiar with vi (not sure what your default editor is in terminal), type the command, "crontab -e" to edit your crontab. You should see a line trying to run DiaryChecker or something similar. Delete that line, save and quit. That should stop the messages.

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow morning. Will post back with results!

ideal.dreams
Jun 3, 2012, 11:09 AM

I typed in "crontab -e" into Terminal and did see a line with DiaryChecker in it. However, I don't know how to get rid of it from here. I deleted the line and used CTRL + Z to stop the process, but when I typed the command in again, the line was still there; it didn't save.

Thanks!

Xenc
Jun 3, 2012, 11:16 AM
I typed in "crontab -e" into Terminal and did see a line with DiaryChecker in it. However, I don't know how to get rid of it from here. I deleted the line and used CTRL + Z to stop the process, but when I typed the command in again, the line was still there; it didn't save.

Thanks!

If you force close the text editor, your updated crontab will not save. The commands to save and exit will vary depending on which editor you're using. If you're using Vim, press ESC and type :wq followed by enter. If you're using Emacs, press CTRL+X and CTRL+S. If you're using Pico, or press CTRL+X followed by Y.

ideal.dreams
Jun 3, 2012, 11:20 AM
If you force close the text editor, your updated crontab will not save. The commands to save and exit will vary depending on which editor you're using. If you're using Vim, press ESC and type :wq followed by enter. If you're using Emacs, press CTRL+X and CTRL+S. If you're using Pico, or press CTRL+X followed by Y.

That did the trick, thanks so much!

Xenc
Jun 10, 2012, 02:24 AM
That did the trick, thanks so much!

Happy to hear it worked.