Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dancerinred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Hi guys,

I realize this is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried Max Payne 3 on a MacBook Air? I have the latest one with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB Graphics and 4GB of RAM and Core i7.

It'd be cool to know if anyone has an idea whether Max Payne 3 would play on this or not? I guess using either BootCamp or Parallels.

Thanks!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As far as I'm aware this is Windows only too. You will need a dedicated GPU, your MBA just won't do it I'm afraid....I hope they eventually port this for OSX, I loved the Max Payne series, one of the best games ever IMO.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
today all modern games require dedicated GPU. with HD 3000 or even HD 4000 you can't still play games. so macbook air & macbook pro 13inch are not qualified.

dancerinred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Thanks! Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. Guess I was hoping that Apple would've crammed in a bit more GPU power in their latest Airs. But no, I didn't have gaming at all in mind until I heard that MP3 was actually coming out.

SquareOFortune

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
today all modern games require dedicated GPU. with HD 3000 or even HD 4000 you can't still play games. so macbook air & macbook pro 13inch are not qualified.

This is flat-out not true. If, for instance, one were to search YouTube (or google, for that matter) for "MacBook Air Skyrim," you'll find that plenty of demanding games run on that and many other integrated GPU systems. Performance would've been a more poignant subject for integrated GPU's, as the results aren't always pretty, but to say non-dedicated GPU's are holistically "disqualified" from playing "all modern games" is quite an exaggeration.

As for Max Payne 3, I've been trying to find out if anyone's been successful in getting it to play on a MBA, as RockStar does explicitly recommend a GT120 or better GPU. Seeing as the HD4000 is several generations past that old integrated chipset, one would think there's a way to make it work.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
This is flat-out not true. If, for instance, one were to search YouTube (or google, for that matter) for "MacBook Air Skyrim," you'll find that plenty of demanding games run on that and many other integrated GPU systems. Performance would've been a more poignant subject for integrated GPU's, as the results aren't always pretty, but to say non-dedicated GPU's are holistically "disqualified" from playing "all modern games" is quite an exaggeration.

As for Max Payne 3, I've been trying to find out if anyone's been successful in getting it to play on a MBA, as RockStar does explicitly recommend a GT120 or better GPU. Seeing as the HD4000 is several generations past that old integrated chipset, one would think there's a way to make it work.

well, look. when I play game on PC, I highly expect that video setting is more than high or max. I don't even play it as medium. that's why you need real gaming laptop to play not like some ****** macbook air.

marieweaver132

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
It's new things full of model elements and extensive range of realistic weaponry, an intelligent cover system.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
well, look. when I play game on PC, I highly expect that video setting is more than high or max. I don't even play it as medium. that's why you need real gaming laptop to play not like some ****** macbook air.

Not everyone has the same requirements as you. Also, if you are willing to look beyond the multimillion-dollar AAA games (which to be honest usually aren't very good anyway) there are quite a few new releases that work just fine on high with integrated graphics -- I'm away from my gaming hackintosh at the moment, and quite enjoying The Walking Dead and Crusader Kings II on high on my MacBook's lowly 320M. (And Diablo III on low, which honestly doesn't look at all that bad.)

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010

People like you put the argument *for* eugenics back into the mainstream.

Drop dead bro. :)

----------

Max Payne 3 running on 2010 Macbook Pro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdM9139-nb0

It'll run fine, ignore the children.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
It is such a great game - by far the best graphics I have seen in ages.

The PC version was 35 GB and I was fortunate enough to play it on an Ivy Bridge 670GTX SLI rig. Wow.

My Steam account is full of screenshots - probably 200 of them. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.