Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
1) Can the Logitech Ultrathin Keybord adequately accomodate an iPad 3 fitted with a "back shell" type case?

2) Is there sufficient magnet stength on the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard to hold and secure the iPad along with a "back shell" type case?

3) Which specific brand/model iPad "back shell" type case(s) have been confirmed to work on the Logitech Ultrathin? Which one is the lightest and thinnest?

4) Which of these cases allow you to "freely remove" the smart cover without having to first remove the back shell case?

Thanks. :apple:

Last edited:

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I have the devicewear union and it works great! I also use the smart cover at the same time. Look up a video on YouTube and search for "Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover + smart cover" and there's a nice video of how the two can be used for awesome protection

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I have the devicewear union and it works great! I also use the smart cover at the same time. Look up a video on YouTube and search for "Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover + smart cover" and there's a nice video of how the two can be used for awesome protection

That's pretty slick. I like how the Smart Cover gets used to keep the keyboard cover from getting scratched.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Joe, nice video of you demontrating your iPad 3 + DeviceWear Union with Smart Cover. I like how you get the smart cover to perform "double duty" protecting the back of the Ultrathin Keyboard while in use typing. It also looks like there remains plenty of room (iPad + Device Wear shell) to easily slip into the Ultrathin KB's mag. slot holder. I did notice though that after you placed it in the slot, you appeared to be keeping your hand steadied on/near the iPad to make sure it remained (?) in place. That said, I'm wondering how much of the Logitech Ultrathin's "magnetic hold strength" is compromised when having to go through the DeviceWear back shell to reach the iPad. With a naked iPad (and even with a BestSkinsEver skin installed), after you place it in the Ultrathin keyboard's magnetic iPad holder slot, you can lift the iPad + Logitech KB unit up together up by the iPad alone. Curious if there's sufficient Ultrathin magnetic strength to do the same with the iPad + Devicewear case as well? Thanks again for making the informative video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZfRqjs2Us

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Joe, nice video of you demontrating your iPad 3 + DeviceWear Union with Smart Cover. I like how you get the smart cover to perform "double duty" protecting the back of the Ultrathin Keyboard while in use typing. It also looks like there remains plenty of room (iPad + Device Wear shell) to easily slip into the Ultrathin KB's mag. slot holder. I did notice though that after you placed it in the slot, you appeared to be keeping your hand steadied on/near the iPad to make sure it remained (?) in place. That said, I'm wondering how much of the Logitech Ultrathin's "magnetic hold strength" is compromised when having to go through the DeviceWear back shell to reach the iPad. With a naked iPad (and even with a BestSkinsEver skin installed), after you place it in the Ultrathin keyboard's magnetic iPad holder slot, you can lift the iPad + Logitech KB unit up together up by the iPad alone. Curious if there's sufficient Ultrathin magnetic strength to do the same with the iPad + Devicewear case as well? Thanks again for making the informative video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ZfRqjs2Us

To be honest it doesn't fit as perfectly as it would without the back cover. I have to actually use the side without the magnet for it stay in place. I did look hesitant but it holds pretty nicely. You can't pick it up but it doesn't really fall over.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Picked up one of these tonight after seeing joekim1026's video. I can attest that it works great with the Devicewear Union, and plays especially nice with the Smart Cover just as in the video.

One advantage of the Smart/KB cover combo is that the device stays off. The KB Cover by itself has the on/off magnets, but doesn't have enough magnetic pull to keep it closed against the iPad. Having the Smart Cover there keeps the iPad shut off even if the keyboard swings away.

Re: the slot and the Union, there's no magnetic clipping when you use it this way. It still sits securely on both magnet side and non-magnet side (and portrait, for that matter), but you can't lift the two as a unit.

The reason I've found to use the non-magnet side, as joekim1026 does, is that the Union has a much longer clip on that side. On the magnet side, the short little corner clips can easily pull off the iPad while taking it out of the keyboard slot. The longer clip is less flexible, and thus more resistant to that.

The lean angle, btw, is only slightly impacted in the Union. It's maybe a few degrees steeper, but not so much that I noticed until I did a specific A/B. It's quite usable in shell.

This is just an awesome combo, and I'm glad that video was posted. I've been on the fence about the KB cover for awhile now, especially since I have an extra Apple BT keyboard I bought for the iPad. This is much more convenient when I need to travel with light keys!

Last edited:

papaslides

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Thank you joekim1026 I have both the ultrathin KB and a Smart Cover, I had NO idea that you could use them together... it's genius, and solves a big problem for me (what do I do with my Smart Cover and how do I protect my keyboard case when I use it in outdoor cafes)

Unfortunately I'm not ready to compromise on the back cover, I don't want to get the devicewear shell and lose the magnetic functionality of the slot.

So here's my plan and any advice on a cheap thin case to do this with would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to get one of those cases (like the boxwave stealth folio) where the back of the case sticks out to support the ipad in a reading angle. I will then cut off the front cover, and make my own cutout for the Smart Cover hinge... this way when I want to use the keyboard I can just pull open the flap exposing the magnetic edge of the ipad, and when I'm not using the keyboard I can snap it back over the edge with the Smart Cover like a normal setup.

Thoughts, suggestions, idea of a company already making one of these?

Thanks

papaslides

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Smart cover compatible case that folds (for use with logitech ultrathin keyboard)

Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution to my problem. I have a logitech ultrathin keyboard, and use my iPad 2 outside frequently. This means I want to have a real back cover (not just a skin) but all covers need to be removed to use with my ultrathin keyboard.

What I need is some kind of smart cover compatible back case that has a hinge somewhere so that you can expose the magnetic spine of the iPad. I have found such a case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UH7974/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
the only problem is that the case has a built in cover, so now the smart cover cannot be carried as a single unit with the ipad. My thought was to cut out the cover and sand down the spine of the case, but there are magnets in the case to hold down that side, so it cannot be sanded down far enough to free up the space for the smart cover to fit.

This means I need to find a traditional one piece smart cover compatible back case that has a crease/hinge somewhere, or find some way to make one.

Thoughts, suggestions, links?

monkeyhihi

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution to my problem. I have a logitech ultrathin keyboard, and use my iPad 2 outside frequently. This means I want to have a real back cover (not just a skin) but all covers need to be removed to use with my ultrathin keyboard.

What I need is some kind of smart cover compatible back case that has a hinge somewhere so that you can expose the magnetic spine of the iPad. I have found such a case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UH7974/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
the only problem is that the case has a built in cover, so now the smart cover cannot be carried as a single unit with the ipad. My thought was to cut out the cover and sand down the spine of the case, but there are magnets in the case to hold down that side, so it cannot be sanded down far enough to free up the space for the smart cover to fit.

This means I need to find a traditional one piece smart cover compatible back case that has a crease/hinge somewhere, or find some way to make one.

Thoughts, suggestions, links?

I've found that this case has a crease that bends back, and doesn't have a magnetic slip on it. It might be a little rough but if you know anybody with stitching skills...

http://www.brookstone.com/ipad-clip...t|789025p&catId=L3_iPadCase|L2_iPad|L1_Travel

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
I too am looking for a good back case for my ipad4 that works with the Logitech. ultrathin I'm about 50/50 in my use in and out of the logitech.

I'm currently using the devicewear (http://www.devicewear.com/the-union-for-ipad-2-ipad-3-and-ipad-4-by-devicewear/) case that several people on Amazon said works. It does sit in the groove find and you can type, but you can't touch the screen or it falls backwards.

Anyone having success with other cases? I used a moncarbon carbon fiber case with my ipad 2 and that worked, but was hoping for something a little cheaper this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.