Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
Has anyone tried to get XSP running on Mac OS X?

I have downloaded the mono runtime for OS X, but it doesn't include XSP for running ASP.NET applications. It seems as though you have to download the source for XSP and compile it your self.

I can't find any good information about getting it working, if anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I tried this just yesterday, and didn't get it going :(

I downloaded the XSP source and compiled it. Technically it ran, but failed on the first ASP.NET page I threw at it :rolleyes:

witness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
Nermal said:
I downloaded the XSP source and compiled it. Technically it ran, but failed on the first ASP.NET page I threw at it :rolleyes:
I read that if you get the source directly from svn it is more reliable than the download provided on the mono site. Though I guess it would be a little hit and miss if people have uploaded some dodge patches.

What I don't understand is, if XSP is fully C# and the mono runtime is working on OS X, XSP should work on OS X without needing to be compiled.

I wonder... if I took a copy of the XSP assembly from a Suse or even Windows box it should theoretically run. Perhaps I'll have to give that a go.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
witness said:
What I don't understand is, if XSP is fully C# and the mono runtime is working on OS X, XSP should work on OS X without needing to be compiled.

It compiled ridiculously quickly for me. You're probably right - it probably didn't compile much at all, because most of it would be interpreted by Mono.

witness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I have it working! :D

I just copied xsp.exe and Mono.WebServer.dll from a windows installation of mono and ran it on OS X using the test asp.net applications and they work!

Now I have one less reason to boot up VPC :)

Now if only I could find a decent C# IDE that works on OS X...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.