PDA

View Full Version : Started with iOS, tried Android, then...

bigsexyy81
Jun 4, 2012, 01:36 AM
Many have had an iPhone and switched to an Android device. I'm curious as to how many switched back to an iPhone or stayed with the Android platform.

cyks
Jun 4, 2012, 01:54 AM
Considering this is a Mac based site, I'd imagine the majority of those who lept to Android are no longer active members here.

bandofbrothers
Jun 4, 2012, 02:03 AM
I came from over 15 years of using Nokia phones to the iPhone for nearly a year.

Nothing I've seen as yet from the other manufacturers has tempted me from the iPhone !

I however still look at Nokia discussions and other forums even tho i no longer use other phone makes as i never want to close down my options.

Calidude
Jun 4, 2012, 02:32 AM
This thread makes me want to buy an Android phone just to try it out rather than listen to people complain about something they've never owned.

I think I will do that right now.

aleni
Jun 4, 2012, 05:03 AM
from 4s went to note and hated it.

i rather have 64gb built in flash memory than 16gb note plus a slow arse microsd.

everything is so smooth in iOS even ICS can't compete.

i tried stunner ICS custom rom and even the official ICS from samsung, both suck. the OS doesn't suck, it's the third party apps that suck.

same twitter app, facebook app, speed test app, etc etc, the fluidility is not even as smooth as the iph 4, let alone the 4s.

what i like about android is the "quick ics browser" app, it makes one hand browsing so easy even on a huge note.

asgr8
Jun 4, 2012, 05:16 AM
I am doing that right now. I have been a loyal apple fan since iPhone 3g came out and now everything in my house is from apple. 2 MacBook pros, a Mac mini for media centre, iPad 3. My partner and I both had iPhone 4.

I got sort of tired of iPhone 4 and heated to try something new. Mind you my iPhone was already jailbroken and had all the extra desire features which comes with jaiobreaking scene. Still I wanted something more.

I sold my old sometimes sluggish iPhone 4 and bought a HTC one x. And using it from last one month. Android is good. There are so many things which I wish ios had or apple implement. Widgets and true multitasking are major wins.

The screen is beautiful and customization options are endless. I like that I don't have to use only one browser or only one app for certain thibg. I can make third party apps as default apps for certain apps which is a very good and handy feature. I would use android on day to day basis forever only and this is a big only... If

Android apps are a bit better. The apps are not very beautiful or elegant. I have been loiking for an app like tweetbot bit nope nothing. Or something like alienblue for reddit. There are many apps but no one is that polished or elegant as some nice ios apps are.

So in the end, I might go back to iPhone 5 when it gets released but that will be mostly because of apps and not because android sucks. Android is much better OS if you don't think like a fanboy but apps are better on iOS. As simple as that. :)

newdeal
Jun 4, 2012, 06:37 AM
I went from iphone 3g to a lg optimus one (returned) to a google nexus s (returned) to a desire hd then back to a iphone 4 then a 4s (returned) and back to a 4 again. Now I am looking at getting a razr maxx and using it for GSM. Nothing really has it nailed yet hopefully the new iphone will nail it (size, battery life, speed etc)

onthecouchagain
Jun 4, 2012, 07:43 AM
Previous iPhone 4 and 4S owner. Now a galaxy nexus owner. The GN is by and far the best smartphone I've ever owned. A few areas of the iPhone have it beat (camera and storage size comes to mind) but everything else the GN is superior (mail, browser, keyboard, notifications, battery life, hspa+ speeds, etc.). I assume my experience will be in the minority here though.

Consider me a convert but I'm still watching closely at what Apple will bring to the table with iOS 6.

maflynn
Jun 4, 2012, 07:47 AM
I was on iOS, then went to android with the Nexus One, and then on to the DroidX.

I moved back to iOS for a number of reasons. My company was going to lock down their exchange servers only allowing iPhone and Blackberries. Android phones (for the most part) did not have the same level of security as iOS and BB. This is changing but I couldn't take a chance.

Another reason, with the Droidx I saw slow and buggy updates from moto. Unlike apple, the maker of the OS releases the updates/upgrades to the hardware manufacturer. Its up to them to decide if they'll provide the upgrade to the phone. For the Droidx, it was 3 or 4 month wait but it was so buggy it was awful. I had to wait another 3 months for moto to issue a bug fix.

Final reason; lack of integration. I'm pretty much ingrained in the apple ecosystem, music, videos, iCloud etc. I found it very difficult to sync my music/playlists. The software I had worked intermittently, that is not all playlists or music would be synced. As for Videos/movies/tv shows - I was SOL because of DRM.

With iOS I get the apple experience I'm used too, faster updates and there's no fear that my organization will lock out the iPhone because security concerns.

bengi
Jun 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
I have been a Palm user since 1999, way before the iPhone. I recall a MacWorld, during a press conference with some Apple guys, when I asked if Apple would have ever considered to implement into the iPod some features of the PDAs. Of course I did not get any replay since media can only ask questions related to the new product presented...

By the way, I kept using Palm and my last Palm was the Centro which is a telephone with Palm OS.

Then in 2010 I received my first iPad, soon I got my first iPhone and now I am quite happy, although this iCloud thing and the need to upgrade all my Macs to Lion or replace them is making me think about switching to Google for calendars and addresses.

Never tried an Android although the availability of Graffiti for Android is tempting me...

So when next september my contract with the carrier expires I am not 100% sure that my next telephone will be the iPhone 5 or an android, such as the Galaxi III.

Ben

Roessnakhan
Jun 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
I've gone back and forth - the Android phones I stuck with the longest were the Nexus One and the Droid X. Both great devices, but I went back to iOS mainly for the apps. If I switched now it would be harder to use that excuse since a lot of things are cross platform now.

Kelly682
Jun 4, 2012, 08:36 AM
My first touch screen phone was the first iPhone. I hated it. It wasn't the size, or the apps that I hated. It was the fact that the phone didn't have any buttons. I used it for about 6 months, couldn't stand it.

I then switched to a blackberry. I really don't know what I was thinking. I felt like I was using a phone from 1980. That damn trackball... ugh! I used that for about a year and a half.

Then the infamous Motorola Droid came out. I had to have it! Talk about glitchy, holy crap. The slide out keyboard? what a joke!!! I hated that phone. Used it for yep, another year and then I switched to my current phone, HTC Droid Incredible.

I've had this phone for about 2 years now. I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. Now i'm used to a touch screen. I hate phones with buttons now, really annoying. This phone is glitchy as well. Always has been. I swear its posessed. The screen will turn on by itself. It'll scroll through the screens on its own. It'll even reboot by itself. The original battery started to die. I would end up with 25% after 6 hours off the charger, NOT USING THE PHONE. Ridiculous. So i thought I'd get a new phone. Upgraded to the Motorola Razr. The phone is HUGE!!! Again, glitchy. The phone was so big, I had to use 2 hands to function with it. Barely fit in my wristlet. From the first day, the widgets wouldn't work. Really? C'mon now. Absolutely ridiculous. So I returned it, and went back to my Incredible. Bought a new battery, and its been okay. Still posessed, but now my battery lasts a whole day. :)

I complain about my phone a lot. I'm over it. My sister has an iPhone 4. I've used it a few times. I love how its smooth. You press an icon and it just works. There is no fuss, no widgets, excellent camera. Its just a product that works. I am so tired of glitchy androids. I don't care how smooth ICS is supposed to be. I am converting back to Apple.

I bought an iPad (3rd gen) and it works flawlessly with my google calendar, gmail, again I just press an icon and it just works. Love Apple. When the new iPhone comes out, so long Android!!

3bs
Jun 4, 2012, 08:40 AM
Considering this is a Mac based site, I'd imagine the majority of those who lept to Android are no longer active members here.

A lot of members here have Android phones but are active here. They probably have other Apple products.

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and I loved it but there were small things here and there that led me to go back to my 4S.

LSUtigers03
Jun 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
I stayed with Android. I'm picking up a Galaxy Note today. My iPad 2 fulfills my iOS needs.

Calidude
Jun 4, 2012, 08:46 AM
A lot of members here have Android phones but are active here. They probably have other Apple products.

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and I loved it but there were small things here and there that led me to go back to my 4S.
Such as? I'm thinking of buying that right now to finally try Android for myself.

Shadowbech
Jun 4, 2012, 09:00 AM
Why is there no option of "Never owned an Android before"? Because I have never owned an android.

ellaimac
Jun 4, 2012, 09:03 AM
My current phone = LG Optimus ME
Im one of the active android users :)

rgctx
Jun 4, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Android OS is just to buggy for me, ever since my first Android i always had issues with sluggishness, freezing, random reboots, etc. First i thought it was the phone itself, spend more $$ on a better phone and still had similar issues. Then that horrible battery life.

Although we feel we overpay to use our iphone (dam* AT&T), me and
my wife are very happy with our phones, we havent had any issues
since we started using them.

I think android focuses to much on coming out with, cupcake, vanilla, ics, etc
os upgrades, that they just need to focus on making a better platform.

HappyCamperNS
Jun 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
Why is there no option of "Never owned an Android before"? Because I have never owned an android.

How about "Wish you had never owned an Android before" option as well?

ChazUK
Jun 4, 2012, 09:30 AM
My smartphone usage goes back further than iOS.

Symbian S60/UIQ and Windows Mobile on various changes, iOS with the iPhone 3g and I then moved on to Android with the HTC Hero and stuck with the Nexus line of phones ever since.

I'm also using Windows Phone 7 but will primarily be sticking with Nexus handsets for the forseeable future. I also forgot I had a brief stint with the iPhone 3gs and gave it to my wife.

Govern1
Jun 4, 2012, 10:28 AM
Such as? I'm thinking of buying that right now to finally try Android for myself.

I went through a similar experience after purchasing a GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the playstore. Overall I really enjoyed ICS and in all honesty I found Android 4.0 to be far superior to iOS in system wide integration (i.e. you don't need to log in details on every app) and all of the apps just integrate in superb fashion. Furthermore, the OS was quite smooth but there is a slight noticeable lag when compared to iOS. Hardware-wise, the 4.65 inch super amoled HD is gorgeous, and the phone itself was not that large, as it fits comfortably in the hand due to its curved back (also in the pocket because of the contour screen).

Still, as much as I enjoyed my 2 weeks with the Nexus, I had to go back to my 4S because of two key things (among other smaller but negligible issue): battery life and overall sound quality. I left the thing charging every night and took off with it at 1pm, and by 7pm it was already near dead. While the 4S battery isn't amazing it can get me through a full day of use, something the Nexus just can't. Sound quality was also shockingly poor on the Nexus (i actually use the phone to dial quite a lot). Finally, the deal-breaker was app quality. It isn't so noticeable in terms of design (especially with the halo layout in ICS) but some apps were just subpar on ICS when compared to iOS -> not to mention all of the innovative and interesting apps which are exclusive to iOS (I certainly missed a couple like clear, infinity blade). The Nexus was a great device but the 4S for my needs is a bit better.

takeshi74
Jun 4, 2012, 10:36 AM
Had an iPhone, tried Android, then what?
Had many Blackberries. Had an Android. Switched to iPhone. Tested a newer Android for work. Not switching back. Why does it matter? Use what works for you. What others do is irrelevant unless your only criteria is to keep up with the Joneses.

This thread makes me want to buy an Android phone just to try it out rather than listen to people complain about something they've never owned.
What everyone should do. You can't assess what you haven't tried. Applies to far more than just Android.

chokem
Jun 4, 2012, 10:38 AM
Used BackBerrys for years. Switched to a 3GS, then an i4. I had a buddy telling me how great the Android OS was so like an idiot I sold my i4 and bought an HTC Inspire. After several weeks of trying my best to like it, I sold it and bought another i4. The experience was not good, but taught me a valuable lesson.

0m3ga
Jun 4, 2012, 11:04 AM
Used BackBerrys for years. Switched to a 3GS, then an i4. I had a buddy telling me how great the Android OS was so like an idiot I sold my i4 and bought an HTC Inspire. After several weeks of trying my best to like it, I sold it and bought another i4. The experience was not good, but taught me a valuable lesson.

The lesson was not to buy an HTC Inspire? You went from something like the iP4 to a phone with a crappy wvga screen, a tiny 1200mA battery, only 4gb of storage, and you were probably still using the Froyo OS. Coming from an ip4, i would have been pissed and switched back too.

There are only a couple of phones that I believe compete with the iP4S in both OS smoothness, capabilities, and hardware. Samsung Note (and soon to be Note 2), Samsung S3 and HTC One X. The Samsung S2 I would compare to the iPhone 4, not the 4S.

I think if you went to a store and tried the S3 or X1, you might be pleasantly surprised, especially with ICS running on great hardware.

Roessnakhan
Jun 4, 2012, 11:06 AM

Because that's not the subject of this thread.

DodgeV83
Jun 4, 2012, 11:13 AM
Previous iPhone 4 and 4S owner. Now a galaxy nexus owner. The GN is by and far the best smartphone I've ever owned. A few areas of the iPhone have it beat (camera and storage size comes to mind) but everything else the GN is superior (mail, browser, keyboard, notifications, battery life, hspa+ speeds, etc.). I assume my experience will be in the minority here though.

Consider me a convert but I'm still watching closely at what Apple will bring to the table with iOS 6.

I'm surprised you listed Mail, that's actually one of the things keeping me away from Android:

http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/03/08/conversation_610x259.jpg

It simply does not handle email threading very well, or at all. On the left is the iPhone mail app, the relevant emails are grouped together. The middle is the Droid Bionic, it tries to do the same, but misses some. The right is the Galaxy Nexus, where everything is in one flat list.

Whenever a co-worker shows me a new Android phone they just got, that's the first thing I look for, and it still works that way, no matter which client they are using.

Is this an issue on your Nexus as well?

bigsexyy81
Jun 4, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think if you went to a store and tried the S3 or X1, you might be pleasantly surprised, especially with ICS running on great hardware.
Two things... all I really need is TWO things in order for me to be able to make the switch to try out the S3...

-A day's worth of battery life with moderate usage, and
-Integration with iTunes

I upgraded my 4S to 5.1.1, jailbroke it, added a boatload of tweaks that I had previously removed because they were making battery life lousy on 5.0.1 (IntelliScreenX, some others), and ever since upgrading to 5.1.1 I get a FULL day's charge, from 8 or 9 AM to about midnight. That is spectacular.

In contrast, the Thunderbolt was dead by noon. NOON!

I know the Thunderbolt had a small battery and most Android phones have a bigger one, but it just left a really bad taste in my mouth and just about everyone complains about how 'not good' their battery life is.

cynics
Jun 4, 2012, 11:22 AM
I flip flop between both. I find the size sizes of android devices are the main thing that keep me switching. That and Verizon LTE. I have a Verizon 4S and the data speeds are almost unbearable, so I get aggravated with the iPhone (should be with Verizon though).

Battery life is usually a non issue for me because even my 4S can't get me through an entire work day. But on the weekend (use the phone less) it does pretty good.

rjohnstone
Jun 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm surprised you listed Mail, that's actually one of the things keeping me away from Android:

Image (http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/03/08/conversation_610x259.jpg)

It simply does not handle email threading very well, or at all. On the left is the iPhone mail app, the relevant emails are grouped together. The middle is the Droid Bionic, it tries to do the same, but misses some. The right is the Galaxy Nexus, where everything is in one flat list.

Whenever a co-worker shows me a new Android phone they just got, that's the first thing I look for, and it still works that way, no matter which client they are using.

What you see on a lot of Android phones is the vendor's own email client or the stock Android email client.
I know from personal experience that Samsung and Motorola email clients are terrible.
The Android client is as basic as it gets. Features are minimal.

The GMail client on ICS has threaded messages and handles them nicely.
Messages are grouped similar to the way they are on iOS.

TG1
Jun 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
I went from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4, and just recently to a Droid Razr Maxx. Also have a Droid X as my work phone. I honestly enjoy both OS's. iOS is smoother and cleaner, but I really like how Android allows me to do things that I needed a jailbreak to do on iOS (BiteSMS, theming, SBSettings, custom keyboards, etc).

Apple does integrate their products and services very well. I love iTunes match and photostream for managing my music and photos in the cloud. I ended up using AmazonMP3 and Dropbox for these same services on Android. They work, but just not as nicely as having it all under one roof.

Hardware wise, I do miss the retina display and the top notch camera of the iPhone. But I am loving the Razr Maxx battery (along with the 4G LTE and the large screen)! :)

cube
Jun 4, 2012, 11:37 AM

What does Android have to do with Mac?

0m3ga
Jun 4, 2012, 11:42 AM
Two things... all I really need is TWO things in order for me to be able to make the switch to try out the S3...

-Integration with iTunes

I upgraded my 4S to 5.1.1, jailbroke it, added a boatload of tweaks that I had previously removed because they were making battery life lousy on 5.0.1 (IntelliScreenX, some others), and ever since upgrading to 5.1.1 I get a FULL day's charge, from 8 or 9 AM to about midnight. That is spectacular.

In contrast, the Thunderbolt was dead by noon. NOON!

I know the Thunderbolt had a small battery and most Android phones have a bigger one, but it just left a really bad taste in my mouth and just about everyone complains about how 'not good' their battery life is.

There are too many variables when talking about battery life. If you have widgets constantly updating, running lve wallpaper, phone is constantly trying to find a 4g, 3g, edge signal or switching between them, how bright your screen is and so on.

That said the S3 comes with a 2100mA battery, which is fairly big to power the large screen for quite a while. But the nice thing is, the battery is removable so you can always have a spare on ya. I do this with my S2, but thus far, I have never needed my spare and I tether my ipad to my S2 for 4 hours a day.

As for integration with iTunes. No problem. iSyncr app in the Android marketplace. There are a few others as well. GTunes I think?

chokem
Jun 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
The lesson was not to buy an HTC Inspire? You went from something like the iP4 to a phone with a crappy wvga screen, a tiny 1200mA battery, only 4gb of storage, and you were probably still using the Froyo OS. Coming from an ip4, i would have been pissed and switched back too.

There are only a couple of phones that I believe compete with the iP4S in both OS smoothness, capabilities, and hardware. Samsung Note (and soon to be Note 2), Samsung S3 and HTC One X. The Samsung S2 I would compare to the iPhone 4, not the 4S.

At the time, that was the best Android phone that AT&T had available.

MacRazySwe
Jun 4, 2012, 12:50 PM
As much as I sometimes want to try an Android, I simply cannot. I'm so bored with the iPhone OS which has looked the same more or less since 2007. I was really stoked by the new Galaxy S3, and the Sony Xperia S/P. Went to have a look at both of them today. While the Sony phones felt great, with solid build-quality, the Samsung felt really cheap, like a toy.

However my main issue was not the phones themselves, but Android OS. I simply cannot stand the ugly fonts, ugly icons, and how everything looks half-done and cheap. It feels so "homebrew" or whatever one should call it, you know what I mean! Right now, Windows Mobile seems to impress me the most. However, I will wait and see what the new iPhone brings before making up my mind. If only it looked like the new Sony Xperia P... :-)

The new iPhone must offer a 4" display, however.

Lindenhurst
Jun 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
from 4s went to note and hated it.

i rather have 64gb built in flash memory than 16gb note plus a slow arse microsd.

everything is so smooth in iOS even ICS can't compete.

i tried stunner ICS custom rom and even the official ICS from samsung, both suck. the OS doesn't suck, it's the third party apps that suck.

same twitter app, facebook app, speed test app, etc etc, the fluidility is not even as smooth as the iph 4, let alone the 4s.

what i like about android is the "quick ics browser" app, it makes one hand browsing so easy even on a huge note.

I went from iPhone to the ATT Samsung Galaxy Note and found just the opposite. I am now running ICS and it has zero lagg. Yes this is a custom Rom based on leaked ATT ICS, but I hope the official ATT version is as smooth. Twitter, Facebook, and speediest all run about the same on my Note as on the Iphone4. The ICS browser is also very nice.

Here is my only complaint...it is really a 2 handed device, and there are times such as when I am in a vehicle, that I would prefer it a bit smaller.
It fits in my pants pocket, but no where near as comfortably as the iPhone did.
ALthough I love the Note, especially for it's large screen, I am still waiting to see what Apple brings us in a couple months.

It took a good month to "get over" IOS and get used to android, but once I did that, it performs as well as my iPhone did for me anyways.

They are both great devices.

0m3ga
Jun 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
As much as I sometimes want to try an Android, I simply cannot. I'm so bored with the iPhone OS which has looked the same more or less since 2007. I was really stoked by the new Galaxy S3, and the Sony Xperia S/P. Went to have a look at both of them today. While the Sony phones felt great, with solid build-quality, the Samsung felt really cheap, like a toy.

However my main issue was not the phones themselves, but Android OS. I simply cannot stand the ugly fonts, ugly icons, and how everything looks half-done and cheap. It feels so "homebrew" or whatever one should call it, you know what I mean! Right now, Windows Mobile seems to impress me the most. However, I will wait and see what the new iPhone brings before making up my mind. If only it looked like the new Sony Xperia P... :-)

LOL. Sounds like you saw the Touchwiz inteface icons and fonts. First thing I do is upload Nova or Go Launcher and customize allthe icons, folders and fonts. Nice thing about these phones are their ability to customize to your desires and needs.

----------

At the time, that was the best Android phone that AT&T had available.

I figured as much. ICS and top tier phones are not like the one you had. It's a completely different ballgame now.

Lindenhurst
Jun 4, 2012, 01:05 PM

Whats wrong with "homebrew?" hehe. :)

I guess it takes a bit to get used to the various operating systems, but after a few months on Android, it looks great to me.
I also looked at the HTC Titan phone and really liked it, but there just weren't enough Apps available at that time.

----------

LOL. Sounds like you saw the Touchwiz inteface icons and fonts. First thing I do is upload Nova or Go Launcher and customize allthe icons, folders and fonts. Nice thing about these phones are their ability to customize to your desires and needs.

----------

I figured as much. ICS and top tier phones are not like the one you had. It's a completely different ballgame now.

I agree with ya but you have zero shot at convincing the masses on this forum that Android is not total garbage. Seems like Apple loyalty is running at an all time high around here.
I do agree that they build quality products and have superior customer service, and I can only imagine that other handset manufacturers can only dream about having their customers be as loyal to their brand. It is amazing.

djharris
Jun 4, 2012, 01:18 PM
I am doing that right now. I have been a loyal apple fan since iPhone 3g came out and now everything in my house is from apple. 2 MacBook pros, a Mac mini for media centre, iPad 3. My partner and I both had iPhone 4.

I got sort of tired of iPhone 4 and heated to try something new. Mind you my iPhone was already jailbroken and had all the extra desire features which comes with jaiobreaking scene. Still I wanted something more.

I sold my old sometimes sluggish iPhone 4 and bought a HTC one x. And using it from last one month. Android is good. There are so many things which I wish ios had or apple implement. Widgets and true multitasking are major wins.

The screen is beautiful and customization options are endless. I like that I don't have to use only one browser or only one app for certain thibg. I can make third party apps as default apps for certain apps which is a very good and handy feature. I would use android on day to day basis forever only and this is a big only... If

Android apps are a bit better. The apps are not very beautiful or elegant. I have been loiking for an app like tweetbot bit nope nothing. Or something like alienblue for reddit. There are many apps but no one is that polished or elegant as some nice ios apps are.

So in the end, I might go back to iPhone 5 when it gets released but that will be mostly because of apps and not because android sucks. Android is much better OS if you don't think like a fanboy but apps are better on iOS. As simple as that. :)

I agree with you that the apps on Android do not work as well or as polished as on iOS.

I've never had an iPhone, but I did use an ipod touch 2nd gen (and 4th gen) while waiting for my Windows Mobile phone contract to expire. (Made a hotspot with my WinMo phone for the ipod to use)

For the past year and a few months, I've been using an HTC Thunderbolt. Since March I've been using the iPad 3rd gen, too. I think I'm going to go with an iPhone 5 when they come out just because the apps are better and more polished, and I don't have to deal with the occasional (but not debilitating) OS instability, random apps crashing, etc.

I also think this anecdote is funny... because it mostly rings true for me. See Comment 53 on the URL below. :)

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=7648

SurferMan
Jun 4, 2012, 01:27 PM
Always had iPhones and jailbreak, was anti-Android before and always giving my Android buds a hard time lol... ended up grabbing an i777 GSII to try and ended up loving it and kept as my main phone. Stock it kicked ass even lasting longer than the two 4S's we've had in battery life. But with being rooted now and custom Rom I'm running, phone is just pure awesomeness and battery life is way better than our 4S could have even though the battery is barely bigger (like 200mah or so).... and freaking love how fast and smooth Chrome beta browser is. But the way I have it set up now, f'n love it and the integration. App's can depend, I've had no problem finding the same app's on my iPhones and in some cases versions that were better, same for some games.

I know a lot of people don't like to root for whatever reason, just like there are those that are anti-jailbreak for the iPhones. But it's a huge difference especially in battery life when you have no bloatware etc and especially with a nice clean Rom. And you can still do a lot and tweak w/o using Rom if your rooted as well as access to app's that can only be used if rooted.

I still have the iPhones but kept them moreso so for backup just in case something happens, and the 4S is used by the gf for work. No problems either or crashing etc, smooth sailing... way way more issues with iPhones over the years even had to return our 1st 4S for another. Have nothing against them, just really prefer this device. However some of these new phones seem to be getting too big, loved the size and form factor of this phone at 4.3", not sure how I'd feel about using something like the GSIII at 4.8" etc.

3bs
Jun 4, 2012, 01:36 PM

I missed being jailbroken and having IntelliScrenX which lets you have notification center on your home screen and I have a lot of widgets on that. The GNex was a bit too big for me. Like i said, it was a great phone and I loved and it and I'd definitely recommend it. I really miss it. If it hadn't gotten stolen I'd probably be going back and forth between it and my 4S cause I get bored pretty fast. I haven't owned any other Android phones though.

Wrathwitch
Jun 4, 2012, 01:57 PM
Many have had an iPhone and switched to an Android device. I'm curious as to how many switched back to an iPhone or stayed with the Android platform.

You need the option: I am considering the switch to Android

-Integration with iTunes

I have done some research and there are a couple of programs that allow integration of your music, cover art, and podcasts with iTunes and Android phones. I think the movies etc have proprietary liscencing on them that does not allow compatability.

I will be VERY curious to hear some NORTH AMERICAN reviews on the SSG3. Yeah its smooth as hell on a quad core, but we're NOT gettin the quad core version. I am hoping the 2GB RAM ours will be shipping with will be enough to offer the same experience that our European and others are reporting with this phone.

blackhand1001
Jun 4, 2012, 02:17 PM

I think I will do that right now.

Buy the unlocked nexus. It is a great phone and the price is even better.

RolandNights
Jun 4, 2012, 02:31 PM
Not completely on topic, but I had an Samsung Epic 4G (not the Touch). Started off great, but didn't age well after updates. I had an iPod Touch 4th gen and that's actually what converted me to the iPhone. I found myself using my iPod more than my Epic (with the exception of texting, calling, or anything over 3G/GPS).

TroyBoy30
Jun 4, 2012, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain

did you just say battery life on the gnex is better than the iphone with a straight face? 3 hours of screen time is nothing to brag about!

onthecouchagain
Jun 4, 2012, 03:19 PM

Image (http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/03/08/conversation_610x259.jpg)

Never seen this issue on my GN, and I have three accounts linked to it.

What bothers me the most about iOS Mail is that Inbox and Sent messages aren't threaded together, so I can't see full exchanges between me and whoever I'm emailing with. I have to navigate in and out of the Inbox/Sent box to see the full message.

Also, labeling, starring, the ability to send attachments (not just sharing pictures; talking about documents, etc. -- this is so important for my work account) are all easier to use through the Gmail app. It just makes more sense, since I use Gmail exclusively on my comp/browsers, to have my phone look exactly the same, e.g., colors for the labels all match up.

And it's not just Mail alone. It spills over to other things that iOS lacks: ICS keyboard is superior to iOS', and when it comes to emails (again, especially business related) it's paramount that I'm able to thumb out emails quickly and accurately. This simply cannot be done with iOS' outdated keyboard, which lacks a suggestion bar, and constantly misses keys (which then lead to typos, which lead to horrendous auto-corrections -- Need examples? Try any of the plethora of "Damn you Iphone Autocorrection" type websites out there). Ditto for things like the Notification Light alerting me of an email.

----------

What you see on a lot of Android phones is the vendor's own email client or the stock Android email client.
I know from personal experience that Samsung and Motorola email clients are terrible.
The Android client is as basic as it gets. Features are minimal.

The GMail client on ICS has threaded messages and handles them nicely.
Messages are grouped similar to the way they are on iOS.

Yeah, if it's not clear, I'm talking about Gmail. I know iOS has a Gmail app, but it's not the same. It's slower, and more cumbersome (though in itself, is still better than stock Mail client) and doesn't allow multiple log ins at the same time. When I have to, I use it on my iPad, but my Nexus is certainly the go to device for checking mail on the go.

chestvrg
Jun 4, 2012, 03:41 PM
I have owned both, android and iOS devices. Previous to that I was also an old palm user as well and if it wasn't for PalmOS lack of multi tasking I would still be using a PalmOS device.

Anyway....android and iOs are both great platforms. I like how on android, I was able to customize my international Galaxy SII and how some apps. Are snappier on android (eg: Docs to go) and the ability to change a lot of settings on the camera app. Such as image resolution, contrast and ISO settings before taking images. I also loved the out of box tethering feature, unlike iOS.

On my iPhone 4S I just love how stable iOS is and how iOS's browser Safari is superior (in my view) in comparison to so many other android browsers out there (even with out any flash plug in). I miss on iOS quick notification toggles such as quick access to turn off/on bluetooth, wifi, air-avión mode amongs other, but I have compensated with that with the jailbreak app SBsettings.

Well, I'm also not biased toward either one of the OS since they are both designed to the individual need of the user (no size fits all)...my $0.02

ericDylan
Jun 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have never owned an iPhone before, though I have had an iPod touch since the first generation was released. I only recently (within the last 6 months) got a MBA.

I have been using android phones for that last two years (feature phones before that) and I plan to get the iPhone when it is released in the coming months.

I have always bought high-end, flagship android devices (had about 6 in the last two years) and I have been pretty satisfied as they have increased in performance and quality exponentially–the first few were pretty hard to use (lag etc.) looking back on it.

I am really excited to get an iPhone because everything just seems like it was implemented much better and more thoughtfully on iOS.

I know it seems cliché and it is a WP7 marketing slogan, but android really seems like it is still in beta even in its 5th (maybe?) year.

In the last few iOS updates, the iPhone has gotten everything that kept me holding on to android: notifications, multi-tasking, etc. Android, despite its incremental improvements, has not been able to keep up its initial momentum and has begun to lag behind in performance and features.

Even if the new iPhone does not have a larger screen, I will definitely be migrating to it, though i desperately hope the screen is the rumored 4 inches.

lordofthereef
Jun 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
There should be an option that says "now I use both".

rjohnstone
Jun 4, 2012, 05:57 PM
I will be VERY curious to hear some NORTH AMERICAN reviews on the SSG3. Yeah its smooth as hell on a quad core, but we're NOT gettin the quad core version. I am hoping the 2GB RAM ours will be shipping with will be enough to offer the same experience that our European and others are reporting with this phone.
The international GS3 uses a 32nm quad core Exynos chip, which is still a Cortex A9 based cpu.
The North American version is supposed to be using a 28nm dual core Qualcomm S4 chip (MSM8960). Supposed to use less power and perform even better than a Cortex A15.

GMTGuy
Jun 4, 2012, 06:05 PM
I personally don't really see IPhone and Android as competitors in that one needs to win and the other lose. I guess it's more accurate to compare iOS and Android and I think they're both terrific. In terms of Phone+OS IPhone definitely within top two.

Calidude
Jun 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
Buy the unlocked nexus. It is a great phone and the price is even better.
I just ordered it online. I'm going to play with it and report back my findings to this thread. I've only used Blackberry and iPhone as smartphones for years and I'm gonna give Android a chance now.

I personally don't really see IPhone and Android as competitors in that one needs to win and the other lose.
Why not? Competition is good for you: the consumer. No need to be egalitarian about it. Let them fight it out to the death. Stick Windows Phone and whatever other OS in there too. The more the better.

boss.king
Jun 4, 2012, 09:21 PM
Started with a 3GS, tried Android out for a while, sold it and kept the 3GS, then switched to Windows Phone and have no intention of switching back for the forseeable future.

Wrathwitch
Jun 5, 2012, 07:11 AM
I just ordered it online. I'm going to play with it and report back my findings to this thread. I've only used Blackberry and iPhone as smartphones for years and I'm gonna give Android a chance now.

[QUOTE]

Please do let us know what you think!

I played around a bit with one at my local Telus store and it looked pretty decent. My big issue is the "If I am going to buy a new piece of tech, I am going to get the latest and greatest" That way it shouldn't get stale and boring for at least a short while.

My big concern is that if I get this SSG3, and 6 months Google releases it's new Nexus phone (which of course will put the specs etc of the SSG3 to shame I am sure), I am going to feel a bit annoyed. One good thing about buying an iPhone is that you know that you will have to wait at least a year for their new latest and greatest haha! Now that being said, as long as I love how ICS works and the phone works, I should be able to handle not getting OS updates by our slack arsed carriers who make us wait for 6-12 months before deigning to grace their paying customers with the OS updates...

If I like how it works, smooth, no dog locking etc then perhaps the constant "newest and best" Android phones that follow won't bother me so much... Here's hoping!

----------

[QUOTE=Calidude;14960949]I just ordered it online. I'm going to play with it and report back my findings to this thread. I've only used Blackberry and iPhone as smartphones for years and I'm gonna give Android a chance now.

It seems I messed up the quote

ahfu25
Jun 5, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy note and I love both!! Im currently selling my note to get the galaxy s3 though!! Can't wait. Won't get into pro's and con's but we all can agree technology is great!!!

maflynn
Jun 5, 2012, 07:25 AM
Im currently selling my note to get the galaxy s3 though!!
That was quick, if you love the Note why sell it? Its a fairly new phone from Samsung

Calidude
Jun 5, 2012, 07:33 AM
My big concern is that if I get this SSG3, and 6 months Google releases it's new Nexus phone (which of course will put the specs etc of the SSG3 to shame I am sure), I am going to feel a bit annoyed.
1) You'll always feel annoyed when you buy an expensive gadget because something better always comes out months later. iPhone may last a year in between, but the annoyance is still there.
2) At least with Android, you can always install custom roms and make your phone work for as long as the community is out there to keep it up to date.

I'd wait for the Nexus and enjoy the updates for that if you wanna try Android.

monkeylui
Jun 5, 2012, 07:45 AM
I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 & an iPad & an iPhone 4s. I like the slight change of pace with using ICS on the tab, came with it, I don't root. But essentially they are the same. My core apps I use are on both platforms. There is a difference in the "gracefulness" between the two, iOS is far and away smoother & slicker. But overall they are the same & I like both. I just want a major overhaul of the iPhone hardware or I'm out.

Wrathwitch
Jun 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
1) You'll always feel annoyed when you buy an expensive gadget because something better always comes out months later. iPhone may last a year in between, but the annoyance is still there.
2) At least with Android, you can always install custom roms and make your phone work for as long as the community is out there to keep it up to date.

I'd wait for the Nexus and enjoy the updates for that if you wanna try Android.

Alas, you are correct, I will always be annoyed by that haha. However, I am still on the iPhone4 and it is TIME for a switch (features, appearance, options, bigger screen (4.5-4.8"). I don't want to wait 3-4 more months for the next iPhone. If all of the rumours are correct it will just look like the same phone I have but be taller. If they impress me and release one of those slick mock ups that there were all over the web when we thought the iP4S was going to be re-designed I can always buy one unlocked outright and still have the benefit of one phone at a "reduced cost" by my evil Carrier.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 5, 2012, 10:45 AM
Great thread, and I'm glad to see it hasn't devolved into an Android vs. iOS debate. :D

I've currently got the 4S and GSII and I have to say, I love them both. My 4S is jailbroken and my GSII is rooted and running a custom ROM, so I do like to tinker. I'll agree with others here that have said that iOS is still smoother...but the GSII is great too.

I do like the customization that you get with Android but there are things that have bugged me (although I've picked up some good hints from posts in this thread). One is email on the GSII. I can never seem to get it working exactly like it does on iOS (which is pretty flawless in my opinion). It comes close, but it's not as good (again, IMO).

I'll typically switch from the 4S to the GSII when I get bored of it, maybe once a month or so. But I do seem to always come back to the 4S for the simplicity of use. The killer, for me, with the GSII is the battery life. While it's not HORRIBLE, it's nowhere near as good as the 4S. I don't have a problem plugging it in while I'm in the car or at my desk at work, but it does annoy me that it seems to drain twice as fast as my 4S.

If Android can ever get the battery life figured out, I'll keep right on buying their devices, because I like the change of pace. But I honestly don't ever see myself not having an iPhone. Can it get boring? Yes. But it's just so well-done and easy to use that it's hard to let go of it for any length of time.

bigsexyy81
Jun 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
Great thread, and I'm glad to see it hasn't devolved into an Android vs. iOS debate. :D

I've currently got the 4S and GSII and I have to say, I love them both. My 4S is jailbroken and my GSII is rooted and running a custom ROM, so I do like to tinker. I'll agree with others here that have said that iOS is still smoother...but the GSII is great too.

I do like the customization that you get with Android but there are things that have bugged me (although I've picked up some good hints from posts in this thread). One is email on the GSII. I can never seem to get it working exactly like it does on iOS (which is pretty flawless in my opinion). It comes close, but it's not as good (again, IMO).

I'll typically switch from the 4S to the GSII when I get bored of it, maybe once a month or so. But I do seem to always come back to the 4S for the simplicity of use. The killer, for me, with the GSII is the battery life. While it's not HORRIBLE, it's nowhere near as good as the 4S. I don't have a problem plugging it in while I'm in the car or at my desk at work, but it does annoy me that it seems to drain twice as fast as my 4S.

If Android can ever get the battery life figured out, I'll keep right on buying their devices, because I like the change of pace. But I honestly don't ever see myself not having an iPhone. Can it get boring? Yes. But it's just so well-done and easy to use that it's hard to let go of it for any length of time.
Can I ask how you guys are switching from a 4S to the GS2? Aren't the SIMs different sizes? Are you using an adapter?

runtohell121
Jun 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
Too bad there's no Windows Phone option in the poll lol. I switched from iOS -> Android -> WP... Got tired of the square icons after using it for 2-3 years on iOS and nothing new so far in iOS 5 besides the notification that didn't impress me.

nefan65
Jun 5, 2012, 11:09 AM
Too bad there's no Windows Phone option in the poll lol. I switched from iOS -> Android -> WP... Got tired of the square icons after using it for 2-3 years on iOS and nothing new so far in iOS 5 besides the notification that didn't impress me.

So you went from square icons to square tiles? :D

Technarchy
Jun 5, 2012, 11:14 AM
After 3 years and 6 android phones I concluded android sucks, and is a huge scam.

If Apple was not an option I'd go Blackberry or Windows Phone way before ever going back to android.

Matthew9559
Jun 5, 2012, 11:25 AM
I had the first iPhone and then the iPhone 4 so I used Apple for 4 years or so. I tried a few Android phones from AT&T back in December and hated them all. I switched to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus and I like it a lot more than the other Android phones I had (HTC Inspire 4G and Galaxy S2 Skyrocket). The vanilla Google phone is the only Android phone I would ever consider using. I still prefer iOS in the end though. The Nexus is more like a computer and with that comes a lot more problems from my experience these past 5 months... Random reboots, phone turned off at night twice and would only boot once removed battery and plugged it back in, home screen crashes, buggy OS when in a phone call (screen turns on/off), etc.

I didn't vote because I will be getting the next iPhone and selling the Nexus so I will be back to iOS but not quite yet. I really like a bigger screen for the phone. 3.5" does seem too small to me even with its advantages (battery life, smaller form factor). Not to mention apps are overall of better quality on iOS.

----------

Can I ask how you guys are switching from a 4S to the GS2? Aren't the SIMs different sizes? Are you using an adapter?

I switched between an HTC Inspire 4G/iPhone 4 with a micro sim adapter from Amazon. It worked perfectly! I used this one. (http://www.amazon.com/Microsim-Adapter-Iphone4g-Convert-Regular/dp/B003XCCYV0/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1338913469&sr=8-1)

runtohell121
Jun 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
So you went from square icons to square tiles? :D

Yes :D, well I'm actually just switching phones every month or two. From iPhone 4 to Samsung Galaxy S II to Samsung Focus S, depending on what I feel like using that month.

ahfu25
Jun 5, 2012, 12:03 PM
That was quick, if you love the Note why sell it? Its a fairly new phone from Samsung

Great phone but less support from dev's than the galaxy s2. I'm pretty sure the s3 will have more support as well. More options with roms and such. I came from a s2 and I loved that phone.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 5, 2012, 12:42 PM

That's it...I use a cheap Micro SIM adapter I got off eBay. I think I got 4 of them for like $2. It works perfectly to switch back and forth and I just leave in in the GSII so I don't lose it.

Lindenhurst
Jun 5, 2012, 02:32 PM
That's it...I use a cheap Micro SIM adapter I got off eBay. I think I got 4 of them for like $2. It works perfectly to switch back and forth and I just leave in in the GSII so I don't lose it.

SO...I have a Galaxy Note and still an iPhone 4. I can use the micro sim adapter and just swap the sims out between the phones and they will work ?

I didn't think that it would. I may have to do the Ebay thing myself and pick up an adaptor.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 5, 2012, 09:27 PM
SO...I have a Galaxy Note and still an iPhone 4. I can use the micro sim adapter and just swap the sims out between the phones and they will work ?

I didn't think that it would. I may have to do the Ebay thing myself and pick up an adaptor.

It should work, as long as the Note isn't a 4G device (I could be wrong about that). No 4G in my area yet, so I don't know much about which devices have it and which don't. But yeah, you should just be able to put the iPhone micro sim in the Note and you're good to go.

DroidConvert
Jun 5, 2012, 09:44 PM
Does it count if I switched from Android, after three years, to iOS. I had the Eris (POS), the Increible (loved that phone best of the three) and the Razr (too big and too glitchy). Got tired of the hardware and software fragmentation so switched to the 4s. So far I have never had to do a "battery pull" which I had been doing with every Android phone I had.

SurferMan
Jun 5, 2012, 11:18 PM

If Android can ever get the battery life figured out, I'll keep right on buying their devices, because I like the change of pace. But I honestly don't ever see myself not having an iPhone. Can it get boring? Yes. But it's just so well-done and easy to use that it's hard to let go of it for any length of time.What rom are you running? I've had two 4S' and battery life was basically the same for each, but my GSII was a bit better stock, we use our phones fairly heavily. I'm on shostock2 though now and battery life is incredible both standby and in use, I would say dead even or slightly better then my 4 which was noticeably better than the 4S.

Calidude
Jun 6, 2012, 01:38 AM
More consistent and easier to use UI
Nobody can contest that iPhone wins here.

Faster and more responsive user experience
iPhone wins here again. Although, I would say if you meant faster as in "how the UI design affects how fast you can perform functions on your phone" Android may have the upper hand due to widgets and customizability.

Significantly better third party apps
Depends on what you mean by better:

If you mean better looking, more cohesively designed, more integrated with the OS, then sure, Apple wins.

If you mean apps that are better in that they offer more variety and functionality, then Android wins.

No malware/virus/etc.
This depends on the user. Only a very unskilled, ignorant person would get malware on their Android phone. But sure, Apple makes it near impossible to infect the iPhone by locking it down and sacrificing user functionality, so of course there's more security, but at a high cost to some people.

Orange Furball
Jun 6, 2012, 02:03 AM
I started with a blackberry. My first iPhone was a hand me down from my sister. It was a 32gb 3gs. I used it completely stock for around 2 months. At this point I got bored of iOS and the plainness of the iPhone. So I moved to windows phone 7.

What I have noticed: Apple wins hands down. The only plus I noticed was the size of the device and look of the UI. Not going into detail, but if I had to choose between iOS and wp7, I would choose iOS. Now my windows phone cracked... and I figured I might as well try Android... so I got an HTC Aria.

Android. My personal favorite. What I love

1. Variety of Android devices to choose from.
2. Hackability. Very easy to theme, mod, and cook new roms.
3. Open Source... nuff said.
4. I can personalize my device to how I want. Do I want an iPhone look? OK. I'll use an iPhone themed launcher. Windows Phone themed? No problem. Stock android? Sure! Basically anything goes for android.
5. App catalog is good enough for me. I don't do much "gaming" on my phone, so if I have word, excel, email, and phone I'm good.
6. Probably more but I don't feel like listing.

Eventually I figured out that I could switch my glass and back on the 3gs to make it one of a kind. So I bought parts and modded it. Back to iOS.

Same old same old. Normal iOS life. But at around January of this year I began to miss android, and my contract was ending soon... to google!

After hours of searching, I find the Galaxy Note. Wow. Perfect. Even better news! It was coming to at&t the same day as my contract was ending. I was at best buy pre ordering it within an hour. Now the galaxy note is my main device and I sold all of my iOS devices for android counterparts. This is to keep all my devices in one ecosystem so I don't need to buy an app twice.

Android is 10x better with ICS and I (probably) never will go back to iOS. Unless there is a full metal >5" iPhone.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 6, 2012, 07:54 AM
What rom are you running? I've had two 4S' and battery life was basically the same for each, but my GSII was a bit better stock, we use our phones fairly heavily. I'm on shostock2 though now and battery life is incredible both standby and in use, I would say dead even or slightly better then my 4 which was noticeably better than the 4S.

I'm actually on Shostock2 also. The standby time is fine for me on the GSII with that ROM, but it's when I start actually using the phone that it seems to drop like a stone. I typically keep my screen brightness around 50%, but last night I lowered it a little to see if that makes a big difference (since I know the screen can eat up the battery if set too bright).

The best ROM I've ever used, battery-wise, was UnNamed 1.5.1. I couldn't kill that thing, no matter what I was doing. But in that version, the creator removed noise suppression from the mic, and I was getting all sorts of complaints from others that when I was on the phone with them, the background noise was awful. He put it back in in later versions, but I never could duplicate the battery life 1.5.1 had.

I absolutely love Shostock2, though, as far as look and use goes. The only thing I wish the creator would include is the Jkay mod, as I like to be able to remove the battery indicator number from the status bar (otherwise, I feel like I obsess over that number...LOL).

Maybe I should do a wipe and reflash and the battery may get better. I also haven't checked to see if there are any updates lately. Right now I'm running 2.2.6.

asgr8
Jun 6, 2012, 10:22 AM
I agree with you that the apps on Android do not work as well or as polished as on iOS.

I've never had an iPhone, but I did use an ipod touch 2nd gen (and 4th gen) while waiting for my Windows Mobile phone contract to expire. (Made a hotspot with my WinMo phone for the ipod to use)

For the past year and a few months, I've been using an HTC Thunderbolt. Since March I've been using the iPad 3rd gen, too. I think I'm going to go with an iPhone 5 when they come out just because the apps are better and more polished, and I don't have to deal with the occasional (but not debilitating) OS instability, random apps crashing, etc.

I also think this anecdote is funny... because it mostly rings true for me. See Comment 53 on the URL below. :)

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=7648

That Comment is Funny and true :P

I am enjoying Android right now, getting the hang of it. Already rooted and installed new ROm and everyday playing with one setting or another. Its all very satisfying and enjoying but i hate the apps. I have an iPad 3 as well and i am using it way more now than when i had iphone. Now instead of checking twitter on android, i open tweetbot on iPad. Instead of using Reddit on android ( reddit news is a better client ), i use Alien Blue which is The Best experience of Reddit in my eyes.

So in the end, i know i will cave and buy an iphone 5 when it comes out just because of apps on android.

SurferMan
Jun 6, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm actually on Shostock2 also. The standby time is fine for me on the GSII with that ROM, but it's when I start actually using the phone that it seems to drop like a stone. I typically keep my screen brightness around 50%, but last night I lowered it a little to see if that makes a big difference (since I know the screen can eat up the battery if set too bright).

The best ROM I've ever used, battery-wise, was UnNamed 1.5.1. I couldn't kill that thing, no matter what I was doing. But in that version, the creator removed noise suppression from the mic, and I was getting all sorts of complaints from others that when I was on the phone with them, the background noise was awful. He put it back in in later versions, but I never could duplicate the battery life 1.5.1 had.

I absolutely love Shostock2, though, as far as look and use goes. The only thing I wish the creator would include is the Jkay mod, as I like to be able to remove the battery indicator number from the status bar (otherwise, I feel like I obsess over that number...LOL).

Maybe I should do a wipe and reflash and the battery may get better. I also haven't checked to see if there are any updates lately. Right now I'm running 2.2.6.Yeh that's weird, I was shocked not just at the incredible standby time, but also in use batt life. Only change I made was deleting Apex from the Rom and sticking with Go LauncherEX as don't really care for Apex. Def a slick Rom. I'm on 2.2.2 still, haven't updated to 3.4 or whatever it is now lol. Screen is kept on auto too.

I used battery calibration after too to get accurate readings, as 1st day was great, then 2nd day was odd as it didn't last as long, but ever since calibrating it has been excellent.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 6, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yeh that's weird, I was shocked not just at the incredible standby time, but also in use batt life. Only change I made was deleting Apex from the Rom and sticking with Go LauncherEX as don't really care for Apex. Def a slick Rom. I'm on 2.2.2 still, haven't updated to 3.4 or whatever it is now lol. Screen is kept on auto too.

I used battery calibration after too to get accurate readings, as 1st day was great, then 2nd day was odd as it didn't last as long, but ever since calibrating it has been excellent.

Thanks, man. I actually just calibrated my battery over the weekend, so we'll see if that makes any difference. And apparently I have missed some updates...LOL. I'll have to go check those out as well.

I used to use Go LauncherEX exclusively until I tried this ROM. It was the first time I'd heard of Apex and I actually really like it. There are a few little quirks that I could do without, but overall, it's worked well for me.

I may have to give Go LauncherEX another go because I always liked it.

SurferMan
Jun 6, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks, man. I actually just calibrated my battery over the weekend, so we'll see if that makes any difference. And apparently I have missed some updates...LOL. I'll have to go check those out as well.

I used to use Go LauncherEX exclusively until I tried this ROM. It was the first time I'd heard of Apex and I actually really like it. There are a few little quirks that I could do without, but overall, it's worked well for me.

I may have to give Go LauncherEX another go because I always liked it.Yeh I was going to try task and few others, but this Rom seems to be the go to... but that's the great thing about this phone is I don't think any other Android device has the dev backing that this phone has. Very slick and fast Rom. Current one is 3.0.4 just haven't updated yet lol.

Maybe I didn't play with Apex enough but never cared for it before either so just deleted it from the Rom. I'm just too used to Go LauncherEX settings and customization, I use the UI 3.0 theme which looks sharp along with some other custom icons for Pandora, FB etc. I like keeping Titanium, Badass Battery (free and awesome for monitoring everything), and the calibrator in the scrolling dock.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/Screenshot_2012-06-05-15-22-29.png

edit - go figure, just checked and saw this, looks like JKAY stuff is useable now like you were looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1563747&page=510

KentuckyHouse
Jun 6, 2012, 01:59 PM
Yeh I was going to try task and few others, but this Rom seems to be the go to... but that's the great thing about this phone is I don't think any other Android device has the dev backing that this phone has. Very slick and fast Rom. Current one is 3.0.4 just haven't updated yet lol.

Maybe I didn't play with Apex enough but never cared for it before either so just deleted it from the Rom. I'm just too used to Go LauncherEX settings and customization, I use the UI 3.0 theme which looks sharp along with some other custom icons for Pandora, FB etc. I like keeping Titanium, Badass Battery (free and awesome for monitoring everything), and the calibrator in the scrolling dock.
Image (http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r273/Surfer-Chris/Screenshot_2012-06-05-15-22-29.png)

edit - go figure, just checked and saw this, looks like JKAY stuff is useable now like you were looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1563747&page=510

I would completely agree that Shostock2 seems to be the go-to ROM at this point. And the GSII does seem to be one of the more supported devices and that's a great thing! We get so many choices on just about everything that it's almost hard to figure out what to use. But, that's what I like about Android...you have choices.

The one thing I haven't figure out how to do yet is use a theme. I could learn if I'd just sit down long enough to read through some threads, but is it just a matter of making a nandroid backup then flashing the theme through CWM? I'm assuming not all themes are created equal and they need to be compatible with the ROM you're using, or can any theme work with any ROM?

And thanks for the heads up on jkay now being useable with Shostock2! That's hilarious that you just happened to run across that right after I mentioned it. Thanks!

I'll have to check out Badass Battery too. I hadn't heard of it before now.

SurferMan
Jun 6, 2012, 02:03 PM
I would completely agree that Shostock2 seems to be the go-to ROM at this point. And the GSII does seem to be one of the more supported devices and that's a great thing! We get so many choices on just about everything that it's almost hard to figure out what to use. But, that's what I like about Android...you have choices.

The one thing I haven't figure out how to do yet is use a theme. I could learn if I'd just sit down long enough to read through some threads, but is it just a matter of making a nandroid backup then flashing the theme through CWM? I'm assuming not all themes are created equal and they need to be compatible with the ROM you're using, or can any theme work with any ROM?

And thanks for the heads up on jkay now being useable with Shostock2! That's hilarious that you just happened to run across that right after I mentioned it. Thanks!

I'll have to check out Badass Battery too. I hadn't heard of it before now.Far as the actual themes for Roms directly, not sure. Haven't looked into it much as I just load a theme up in Go Launcher. Just found out about Badass Battery too recently, awesome for a free program, no ads and you can monitor pretty much any usage of any app or the kernel etc and gives you tons of options to organize (like by % power used, CPU minutes used, # times waking device etc).

Calidude
Jun 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
So I got my Galaxy Nexus a few days ago. First thing I did was flash the latest stock ROM. It was pretty easy to get all my contacts from iCloud to Google contacts.

I have to say that Android is definitely better than iOS. I haven't run into the stability issues people talk about, and I can actually do the stuff I want without having to jailbreak. The lag I used to see on Android 2.x devices is mostly gone from Android 4.0.4, which is great, and I've been reading that the lag can be NEARLY gotten rid of completely with a custom kernel and custom ROM that accomplish a number of optimizations. So far, however on the stock ROM, the lag hasn't affected the usability of this phone for m, since the interface and customizability on Android makes up for the lag quite a bit.

The only concerns I have with Android are privacy concerns. You have to really watch what you do on this phone because more goes to the cloud than you think, but can be turned off. I'd suggest that everybody go through the settings and turn off all these battery draining and snoopy features the minute you get this phone. I don't care if Google knows who I contact and what I write in an email, but I don't need anything else going out to them.

Will I stay with Android? Probably. This version is like a mix of iOS simplicity and WebOS innovation with an actual community behind it that can change things around.

Will I stay with Android in the long term? Probably not. The community and the hackability of this platform is great but too reliant on Google to succeed. I can turn stuff off and I'm going to install a custom ROM but I don't really want to deal with Google this much and it will probably get more creepy in the future. Hopefully Tizen will come out swinging and I'll head there for more freedom.

Overall, I think if people get a taste of pure, non-carrier infected Android, they'll wonder why they spent so much time with iOS. Sure, iOS has always been good to me, never crashing, never making me have to troubleshoot, never giving me a tough time learning how to use it, but it's something that you outgrow, since it will never do what you really want to do. Killing apps for example, is a joy on Android and a pain on iOS. Stuff like that makes you wonder why iOS isn't at that level yet. Apple would have kept me as a user had they simply added things that were common sense, like a quick way to turn off Wifi, or not making me have to move my fingers all the time up and down the screen to navigate apps (which is fixed by Android 4.x's buttons always at the bottom). Really, Apple, I shouldn't have to jailbreak your phone to get things I want done, especially if you have had a desktop operating system userbase for this many years.

I'm not Android experienced enough to say in the poll that I kept my Android, but it sure looks like I'm headed that way, at least in the short term. I'll be checking out iOS6 this week but I don't expect anything out of Apple other than incremental updates to core apps rather than a better OS experience.

absynth
Jun 10, 2012, 07:57 AM

Sounds more like you were offended by the Galaxy S3 TouchWiz interface?
Sony's skin is much more elegant.

Either way you should try out the Xperia P again when it receives ICS. The GUI is a vast improvement over 2.3 and IMO also much nicer then iOS.

Very impressed by the Xperia P myself as well... it is going to be my next phone for sure!

jomarr
Jun 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Started with a 3GS, tried Android out for a while, sold it and kept the 3GS, then switched to Windows Phone and have no intention of switching back for the forseeable future.

The UI of Lumia 800 is just very tempting. It's so amazing to look at. It's very minimalistic yet it's pretty rad. I have an iPod Touch and its pretty boring. I loved it at first but then it got boring. The only pro of the iPhone for me is that its an all in one device because I really hate carrying 2 devices in my pocket. It's very bulky.

absynth
Jun 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
The UI of Lumia 800 is just very tempting. It's so amazing to look at. It's very minimalistic yet it's pretty rad. I have an iPod Touch and its pretty boring. I loved it at first but then it got boring. The only pro of the iPhone for me is that its an all in one device because I really hate carrying 2 devices in my pocket. It's very bulky.

You can use any android or windows phone as a capable music player too. You just need to be willing to look beyond iTunes.

For me personally, there is nothnig that iTunes brings to the table compared to stock android music player. But then I like the bare-bones, DIY approach when it comes to music. Not to say there are no capable iTunes alternatives for android.

Internaut
Jun 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
I can't really tick either box of the poll since my little experiment with going over to the other side is in its infancy. However, a few months ago, my corporate mobile stopped working while I was on the move. I picked up a cheap, SIM free Wildfire S while travelling and you know what? It's fine for what it is! As much as I like iOS and Apple, I guess that makes me pretty much OS agnostic (the only OS I don't like is Windows Phone).

So, I upgraded to a Galaxy S3 and that too is fine and I'll probably stick with it for a year or so. The Ice Cream Sandwich OS brings everything that little closer to Apple in terms of usability and slickness of operation but of course, it's still not Apple. Samsung and Google still can't repeat the old Steve Jobs "Everything just works" maxim but it wouldn't be unreasonable of them to say "Most things just work".

Apple though should take care IMHO. Competing in the courts clearly isn't working for them and they may need to raise their game in raw engineering and design terms. I'm looking forward to seeing what iOS6 delivers, especially running on a 4S.

As an example of where Apple really is behind at the moment, take reading a book: A 4S is fine for reading something using the Kindle or iBook apps but my Samsung's bigger screen is much better. Likewise, I don't read books on my iPad because it gives me neck ache (I ended up buying a Kindle Touch and really like it). If Apple wants to rule the book and self publishing market, they need to up their game. The competition doesn't give up and die because it's Apple.

RMC Tech
Jun 10, 2012, 01:10 PM

Looks like.. MOST! Even if it wasn't a mac based site, I think it'd be an overwhelming majority of people switching back to iPhone. After all, iPhone just happens to seriously rock. :apple:

speed4tu
Jun 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have had every iPhone and of Droid and incredible. Sold my 4s and now have a galaxy nexus. Ics is so far beyond iOS that apple will never catch up. I'm running a custom from and kernal and have absolutely no glitches from it. Much better than any other version of android. IOS is good to tho. Not bashing it. I will look into iPhone again when new one is released

scadoosh
Jun 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
good thread, thinking about switching from my iphone 4 to the galaxy s3, just not sure if i should wait for the next iphone announcement to see what its all about.

on a side note, how do you all afford to keep buying/switching out these phones constantly?

Internaut
Jun 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
good thread, thinking about switching from my iphone 4 to the galaxy s3, just not sure if i should wait for the next iphone announcement to see what its all about.

on a side note, how do you all afford to keep buying/switching out these phones constantly?

I made my iPhone 3GS last three and a half years. Seriously though, on the GSM/UMTS network, if you've got more money than sense, you can simply buy a new iPhone at any point in your contract and move your SIM card to it.

Speaking of which, I got such a good deal for my Galaxy S3 (was intending to buy it for close to the full price but network was kind to me with its subsidy) so there's money in the bank in the unlikely event the iPhone 5 stuns (but far more likely mean old me will keep it in the bank even if the iPhone 5 does stun :D)......

bigsexyy81
Jun 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
I actually am happy that I was underwhelmed by iOS 6. I think everything I really had interest in was available on my 4S, so I won't be required to get new hardware for that. And if the hardware leaks hold true, I won't feel like I'm missing out by skipping it.

SGS3 might be my alternating device with the iPhone.

DroidConvert
Jun 11, 2012, 09:56 PM

If you're going to switch to Android, which ould be good if you're looking for a change, I would personally stay away from Samsung. IMO, you'll get more bang with an HTC.

It seems like a lot of people here want to jump on the Samsung bandwagon but you'll be happier with an HTC. Samsung is great at marketing. ;)

Calidude
Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 AM

I would wait for the next Nexus phone and decide between that and iPhone 5.

onthecouchagain
Jun 12, 2012, 11:39 AM
I recently switched from 4S to the Galaxy Nexus and was loving the experience until I woke up to a frozen phone, was forced to do a factory reset, and now won't get past the boot screen. Tried some solutions from XDA Forums, like flashing the stock ROM with Odin, which succeeds, but for some reason, my phone still won't boot.

This has really turned me off. I still think ICS has iOS 6 (and iOS in general) beat on almost every front, but it's stuff like this that really make me appreciate Apple's simplicity, stability, and their stores.

I have a bricked GN, and I'm not sure what to do. Currently using a dumbphone.

EDIT: Calidude, can I PM you regarding what stock ROMs you used?

Hype2k2
Jun 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
See my signature.
From using my international SGS2 I will never ever use android again. Stock to stock based to cyanogen. Only had a decent experience from Cyanogen, even then I still hated the OS. Got rid of it and picked up a HTC Titan and fell in love with it.

Only problems I had was the terrible call quality, at the time HTC refused to acknowledge. App selection was a bummer but not a deal breaker, could almost always find 3rd party alternatives that worked just as good if not better than Android/iOS counterparts. Why didn't I go back? Waiting to see this falls outcome to use an upgrade on.

djharris
Jun 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
That Comment is Funny and true :P

I am enjoying Android right now, getting the hang of it. Already rooted and installed new ROm and everyday playing with one setting or another. Its all very satisfying and enjoying but i hate the apps. I have an iPad 3 as well and i am using it way more now than when i had iphone. Now instead of checking twitter on android, i open tweetbot on iPad. Instead of using Reddit on android ( reddit news is a better client ), i use Alien Blue which is The Best experience of Reddit in my eyes.

So in the end, i know i will cave and buy an iphone 5 when it comes out just because of apps on android.

That's funny, I think he said Google NAV makes him want to cheat. Well, he won't have any reasons to cheat with iOS 6. ;)

tbayrgs
Jun 14, 2012, 08:49 PM
Except for a brief time trying out Windows Phone 7 (much of which I actually did like), I've stuck with iOS since the first iPhone. I've handled/played with any number of Android devices for brief periods of time but just wasn't impressed enough to want to make a more permanent switch.

I can certainly appreciate having greater flexibility in customizing the look and functionality of a phones OS and from everything I've read, it certainly appears that Android can do everything (and more) that iOS can do, by some means. I've read dozens of threads over the years detailing how to duplicate functionality found in iOS in Android but it seems that the solution is always some third party alternative--why can't stock Android fulfill those needs? I'm married with 3 small children so quite honestly, I don't have a ton of free time to play with/tinker around with my phone OS. Personally, our household is fully embedded in the Apple ecosystem (wife's devices, kids devices, computers, media players, etc) and while iOS certainly may not be the most exciting, in an all Apple environment it really does just work. Someone gets a new device--run through the initial setup and it just slides right into 'business as usual' in our home. It's so easy to keep all of our devices in sync using iTunes and iCloud that using another other than iOS is simply more work than I need to be bothered with. Like many, I've spend a decent amount of money on apps over the years so leaving that behind would be less than ideal but even better, we get to use those apps across ALL of our devices.

I'm definitely curious about other devices--really wrestled with whether or not to pick up a Lumia 900 as I find Windows Phone more attractive than Android but no matter what, it's just not going to work as well in my situation so at this point, why bother?

mbell1975
Jun 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
I did it the other way around. Had Android phones and thought I would give the iPhone a try with the 4s since it had almost caught up to the Android OS feature-wise. Went back to Android within 3 weeks.

Frankied22
Jun 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
So I too have ventured into android this past week. I had a 3GS for a year and then the iPhone 4 for two years. After seeing the One X I decided to give it a shot.

First off; android 4.0 really is just as smooth as iOS. I haven't noticed any lag. I LOVE chrome browser and Gmail. Also the full blown Google maps is nice. I installed the ICS keyboard to get rid of HTCs horrendous stock keyboard. Also, the screen on this phone is amazing. I would even say its better than the iPhones. I would say the camera quality is better as well, and faster.

There are a couple things that really annoy me however. For one, for some stupid reason HTC really screwed up the multitasking on this phone. Whenever I reopen an app it reloads it! Seriously? That is so annoying. Another thing that gets to me is when I am in the browser there is no way to quick jump to the top of the page. Having to scroll all the way back up is annoying. I know Dolphin HD browser fixes this but I really like Chrome.

Do you guys think I should go with the SG3? I know the multitasking is much more ICS like on the SG3.

monkeylui
Jun 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
I've been using the Galaxy Tab 2 for a while & really like it. I was hoping apple would release a larger iPhone, but that hasn't happened. So I'm ditching my iPhone 4S for the Samsung Galaxy s3. I'm bored with iOS & was unimpressed with iOS 6. I still have my iPad & love it. But for my phone I want the bigger screen & I like ICS.

onthecouchagain
Jun 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
Long story short, I was a previous iPhone 4S owner, got the Galaxy Nexus, and my GN crapped out on me (motherboard failure or something).

Now that I'm in need of a new phone, I'm considering going back to the 4S, but am honestly having a hard time accepting iOS' shortcomings now that I know how amazing ICS is. And iOS 6 really doesn't impress.

Google Play sells the GN for 399, where as the 4S is 649. It's literally paying more for a phone that can do less. Very difficult to reconcile and justify that.

I haven't committed to a decision yet, but I'm leaning toward getting another GN. Hopefully I won't get a lemon this time.

mbell1975
Jun 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
Long story short, I was a previous iPhone 4S owner, got the Galaxy Nexus, and my GN crapped out on me (motherboard failure or something).

Now that I'm in need of a new phone, I'm considering going back to the 4S, but am honestly having a hard time accepting iOS' shortcomings now that I know how amazing ICS is. And iOS 6 really doesn't impress.

Google Play sells the GN for 399, where as the 4S is 649. It's literally paying more for a phone that can do less. Very difficult to reconcile and justify that.

I haven't committed to a decision yet, but I'm leaning toward getting another GN. Hopefully I won't get a lemon this time.

You didn't have insurance? What about the manufacturer warranty?

Oh and I love the tab 2 as well. Find myself using it more than my iPad

onthecouchagain
Jun 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
You didn't have insurance? What about the manufacturer warranty?

Oh and I love the tab 2 as well. Find myself using it more than my iPad

Unfortunately, I bought it shipped internationally (literally weeks before Google offered it in the US through Play; bad timing) so the warranty is with Samsung UK, and frankly, I just don't want to bother sending it overseas. I've read they are notoriously dodgy with their warranty so there's no guarantee it'll even get repaired. In other words, any money that I have to put into this phone is, in my opinion, a waste.

It's really a sucky situation overall. And I've already tried reflashing the Google stock ROMS through the help of XDA members, but to no avail. Something about the ROM chip or whatever is damaged and won't recognize new ROMs.

There are definitely a few things I miss about iOS, but there's no question that ICS is the superior OS. I can't even look at Safari or Mail anymore after getting used to Chrome and Gmail. And don't even get me started on the keyboard... I'm still stunned iOS 6 has no keyboard improvements whatsoever. If all those "Damn You iPhone Auto Correct" websites aren't an indication to Apple that their keyboard is in sore need of upgrades, then I don't know what will.