Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel the remark was Sexist or Funny?

• Sexist

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Funny

Votes: 20 90.9%

• Total voters

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
asustweet-640.jpg

ASUS sparked fury recently when they posted this Tweet about the new Transformer, personally I thought it was pretty funny, but as referenced by the reply tweets nearer the bottom it's clear people are furious.

Source ASUS Sexist Twitter

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think people are overly sensitive these days. I actually liked that comment (and picture ;) )

May 8, 2008
The girl would have been hired by ASUS, correct? One would assume this type of promotion was covered by her agreement with ASUS.

I see nothing wrong with the tweet.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Your post clearly indicates that you already know why the ad is sexist.:D

/guff

Isn't that her whole purpose of being there? To add sex appeal to the product? Same as the booth babes in other events and the pit girls in Moto GP.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You guys don't know how hard the tech industry is for women and things like this just perpetuate the idea that women are only around in tech events for eye candy.

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
This is ASUS making a low-brow sexual comment about one of their models, in order to promote their product.

Does this not strike anyone else as incredibly unprofessional?

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
You guys don't know how hard the tech industry is for women and things like this just perpetuate the idea that women are only around in tech events for eye candy.

Most American sitcoms feature smoking hot 40 year old wife who is always smarter and more understanding than the fat, stupid, adolescent thinking husband. The reason? The target audience for a lot of sitcoms are women. For these products, the target audience is a male population.

I still don't get how this is sexist though. They just mentioned an attractive part of a female along with their product. Sex appeal in products isn't only towards men. Look at any female oriented cologne ad, I guarantee you it will show a macho muscular six-packing man holding a woman in his arms or something.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.