PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Update Nearly Entire Mac Lineup at WWDC?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/04/apple-to-update-nearly-entire-mac-lineup-at-wwdc/)

9to5Mac reports (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/04/apple-to-update-most-of-its-mac-lineup-and-multiple-accessories-at-wwdc/) that Apple will update nearly all of its Mac products at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, with "at least four" out the company's five Mac families seeing upgrades.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mac_lineup_lion.jpg

The most solid candidate for an upgrade is the MacBook Pro, which has been reported by numerous sources to be gaining a slimmer form factor (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/apple-to-release-thinner-macbook-pro-at-wwdc/) with the update. Apple's iMac and MacBook Air lines are also considered solid bets for upgrades next week. The report claims that both the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will receive ultra-high resolution Retina displays, but while the iMac has also been rumored to be gaining the feature in the future, it is unclear whether it will make it into the next update of Apple's flagship desktop line.

If Apple is planning to only update four of its lines, the final spot would come down to the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, with 9to5Mac arguing that the Mac mini is the most likely to see an update given that just-released Ivy Bridge chips that could also be appearing in a 13-inch MacBook Pro would be suitable for a Mac mini refresh.

Xeon E5 chips suitable for a significant Mac Pro update have been available for several months now, but Apple has so far elected not to refresh its professional-level workstation product and there continue to be questions about its fate given that it has been nearly two years since it was last updated.

Finally, today's report indicates that Apple may also be taking the opportunity of a massive Mac update to also introduce new and updated accessories, although details on Apple's plans for those products remain unknown.

Article Link: Apple to Update Nearly Entire Mac Lineup at WWDC? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/04/apple-to-update-nearly-entire-mac-lineup-at-wwdc/)

backinblack875
Jun 4, 2012, 10:46 PM
holding out for my first shiny new MBP :D

levitynyc
Would make sense since they are all about due for one.

Mjmar
This is probably the most excited I have ever been for an Apple announcement.

campingsk8er
Jun 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
iLike

dagamer34
Jun 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'm wondering if the iMacs are going to get a resolution bump as well. Or even the Apple Thunderbolt display.

applefanDrew
Jun 4, 2012, 10:48 PM
I will buy a MacBook air when it gets quad core. Which I assume is next year.

hismikeness
Jun 4, 2012, 10:49 PM
Mac mini please. Mine is getting a little old and slow.

slimbek
Jun 4, 2012, 10:49 PM
Yummy!

Inakto
Jun 4, 2012, 10:50 PM
well, it would be about time. Seems like the current gen of Macs has been neglected recently....

Mr-Stabby
Jun 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
I really hope this is true. The Mac seems to have taken a step back in recent years and all the focus has been on the iPhone and iPad. Even Mac OS and hardware updates seem to have been linked with the iPad and iPhone success. The Mac Pro in particular is in dire need of reinventing. I think a really decent update will silence the critics, at least for a couple of years. Come on Apple, do us long time Mac fanboys proud!! If you'd actually introduce a new Mac product on stage, that would be even better.

Lokany
Geez I hope it's not 4 out of 5 because they plan on merging the Macbook pro and air, or just continuing to ignore Macpro.

blurobot
Really tired of waiting for a new Mac Pro. I have real doubts they will be updated at wwdc. Only one of these won't be updated and only one of these is rumoured to be cancelled. hmmm. this kinda sucks

yanksrock100
Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
Retina MacBook air! Retina MacBook pro! Oh boy, I cannot wait till the 11th:)

I've waited awhile, good things happen to us who wait!

Grimace
Jun 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
Maybe there will be new Retina Cinema Displays, and the Mac Pro has been delayed to coincide with that release. [crosses fingers]

Lordskelic
Jun 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
Shiny new computers!

Gregintosh
Jun 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
Ah man, right as I was starting to put some money away into savings Apple does it again and forces me to spend thousands on new computers. :D

Actually, this is pretty exciting! If all the computers get retina displays I will be tempted to sell what I got and pay the difference to pick them all up.

If not, then I will probably just admire from afar. No retina = no sale.

But that's only because I have the current gen MBA (so no real need to upgrade) and a 2009 iMac (Core i5 Quad Core, 16GB RAM) with about a year left on AppleCare. So I feel that a retina display is the only thing that would actually make a difference in usability for me as what I have is PLENTY of power for what I use the computers for.

jake4ever
Jun 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
Shut up and take my money!

colour
Jun 4, 2012, 10:56 PM
about funk time

ajcadoo
Why is there a question mark at the end of the article title?

Of course most all will be updated. Duh....

Rogifan
Wow that's going to be one packed keynote. Phil Schiller will have his hands full. :D

I wonder if there will be a design refresh or if they'll be the same but just thinner.

nuckinfutz
Jun 4, 2012, 10:58 PM
This is going to be one hell of a summer update.

Not only are all these Macs due for upgrades but there are a lot of software upgrades due as well.

Hmmmmmm:

Makes me think. If Retina display is going to be the new "thing" then Apple will need to launch with some apps already enabled for Retina.

iLife - Retina
iWork - Retina
Aperture 4 - Retina

Sign me up!

applefanDrew
Jun 4, 2012, 10:59 PM
Wow that's going to be one packed keynote. Phil Schiller will have his hands full. :D

Forstall and Federighi will give him a break on the software parts

taeclee99
Jun 4, 2012, 11:00 PM
This is how it will go down hardware wise me thinks:

Updated 11 and 13 in ivy bridge mba with retina displays.
Updated 15 in ivy bridge mbp with retina display, thinner unibody enclosure.
13 in mbp is discontinued.
Updated ivy bridge imac with retina displays.
Updated ivy bridge mac mini.
No mac pro announcements.

iJcaP
Jun 4, 2012, 11:01 PM
This has to be their best kept secret in a while. We haven't seen ANY leaks for ANY of these Macs (at least to the best of my knowledge. please if there were leaks show me :)). This keeps me so curious and excited for these Macs. I think they'll drop the 13" Pro, lower the price of the 13" MBA and have only a 15" pro notebook at a more reasonable price.

SprodeBoy
Jun 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
New Mac Pro?! They just refreshed that one!!!!! ;)

ezekielrage_99
Jun 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
80% of rumors seem to be correct, I like those odds.

DrNoellyG
Jun 4, 2012, 11:03 PM
Here's hoping for a new mbp with retina display, the minue I see that is happening, my credit card leaves my wallet. Regarding the Mac Pro, I hope we see one new model before they discontinue it (if that is the case), my current one is a 3 year old model that while still gets the job done, I want to move home permanently and upgrade my workstation. The 11th can't come soon enough.

valleydesign
Jun 4, 2012, 11:03 PM
"At least 4".....

The Mac (mac pro). iMac. The MacBook (one congruent line air to pro). The Mini.

Now THAT would be impressive.

vikpt
Jun 4, 2012, 11:04 PM
exciting! i can't wait for a slimmer 13' MBP! (which i really hope will not be taken over by the 13 MBA) :(

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'd like to see all five updated. I can see it more as one or two talked about on stage and the rest refreshed on the site. Mac Pros are most likely going to be updated, there is a market for them and with Apple's thunderbolt, it's time to use that in the Pro, among system upgrades in general.

MadMitch89
Jun 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
Given how big a deviation Windows 8 is from previous iterations, perhaps Apple is preparing an onslaught of new hardware with a new OS (10.8) - "if you have to change, why not change to a Mac". Might be a marketing/market share/sales ploy...

cvaldes

Of course most all will be updated. Duh....
The fact that most Macs will be eventually updated is not in question.

The question here is whether or not Apple will use the upcoming WWDC event (in a week) to make a change across multiple Mac families. It is already expected that Apple will refresh at least one of the Mac product lines.

hirshnoc
It would make more sense to release these tomorrow as they indicated in the D10 interview ("what's being released next week?"). There is no way that in an hour and a half, they could go over iOS 6 and Mountain Lion AND introduce new hardware.

4God
Jun 4, 2012, 11:06 PM

Updated ivy bridge imac without retina displays.

Fixed that for ya. ;)
Otherwise a good prediction.

SprodeBoy
Jun 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
"at least 4".....

The mac (mac pro). Imac. The macbook (one congruent line air to pro). The mini.

Now that would be impressive.

gotta buy em all!!!!

----------

buy ALL the new updates XD

SwiftLives
Jun 4, 2012, 11:07 PM
A keynote is maybe 2 hours?

Since this is WWDC, the keynote will be software focused. iOS 6 demo, AppleTV API demo, various developers demoing their games on the AppleTV. That, in addition to the introduction/recap of how incredibly awesome iOS is doing, will easily take up 2 hours.

I have a feeling, barring any significant redesign, that the hardware will be updated via press release. Maybe a mention of retina displays across the board.

---------------------

Just a thought - If the AppleTV gets apps - would it include games? Perhaps one of these accessories is a wireless controller? Or maybe we use our iOS device as a controller. I guess it would depend on how seriously Apple would want to take this. Maybe a third-party controller?

I think Apple could very much compete with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in the game space - especially with their existing mobile game ecosystem. Cheaper games - all downloadable - no physical media. Could be interesting.

iJcaP
Jun 4, 2012, 11:08 PM
It would make more sense to release these tomorrow as they indicated in the D10 interview ("what's being released next week?"). There is no way that in an hour and a half, they could go over iOS 6 and Mountain Lion AND introduce new hardware.

You know, that is true. I remember hearing that. Can you expand on this a little more? I'm really curious to see why tomorrow will make more sense. (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)

deannnnn
Jun 4, 2012, 11:08 PM
Love my iOS devices, but THIS brings me some real excitement!

iJcaP
Jun 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
Forgot to mention- there have been keynotes that have lasted 2 hours (WWDC 09) where they announced an updated MBP (15"), Snow Leopard, iOS 3.0, and iPhone 3GS. It is possible.

cvaldes
Jun 4, 2012, 11:10 PM
The more likely scenario would be a keynote address focusing on iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

The new hardware would be given a few minutes, or possibly relegated to a press release. Apple periodically releases new Macs without a live presentation from senior management.

After all, WWDC is a developer event, it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the new features of the operating systems.

SprodeBoy
Jun 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
...After all, WWDC is a developer event, it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the new features of the operating systems.

Good point. But you know any apple dev. would turn into a little girl riding a pony at the sight of a new lineup XD

mrsir2009
Jun 4, 2012, 11:12 PM
Here comes the long awaited 2012 MacBook Pro!

Chrisg2014
Jun 4, 2012, 11:16 PM
I'm torn, I want it to be the Mac Pro but I just got a new Mac Pro Around Christmas. Which will tick me off cause I want a thunderbolt!

Mr-Stabby
Jun 4, 2012, 11:16 PM
Here's hoping FINALLY for the Powerbook G5!

http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerbookg5.jpg

Never gets old!...well...

applefanDrew
Jun 4, 2012, 11:17 PM
The more likely scenario would be a keynote address focusing on iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

The new hardware would be given a few minutes, or possibly relegated to a press release. Apple periodically releases new Macs without a live presentation from senior management.

After all, WWDC is a developer event, it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the new features of the operating systems.

But all-new designs for the pro. I'm sure there will give it at least five or 10 minutes. Not a big deal, but some time.

wordoflife
Jun 4, 2012, 11:18 PM
New Macs and a new OS.

Bien joué.

SwiftLives
Jun 4, 2012, 11:19 PM
Forgot to mention- there have been keynotes that have lasted 2 hours (WWDC 09) where they announced an updated MBP (15"), Snow Leopard, iOS 3.0, and iPhone 3GS. It is possible.

Good point. But that was 2009.

We can eliminate the iPhone and iPad, since they are on different product cycles.

They've already announced and demoed Mountain Lion. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a more specific release date.

I really think that moving the iPhone refresh to September was an attempt to put the focus on software and developers at WWDC.

If the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are significant tech advances, they might warrant a mention. But I don't think a form factor change and a retina display are enough to dwell on.

DeltaRage
Jun 4, 2012, 11:20 PM
I'm wondering if the iMacs are going to get a resolution bump as well. Or even the Apple Thunderbolt display.

A retina Thunderbolt display would be incredible. Doubtful though.

valleydesign
Jun 4, 2012, 11:23 PM
My prediction. ML and IOS6 take up the entire time slot. Cook comes out to sign off and just when you think we aren't getting anything, he drops the entire new mac lineup behind him and walks off the stage without saying anything.

I can dream right??

Honestly though, Apple hardware doesn't need an event or even an explanation. Redesign or not. Might as well just walk off stage with an entirely new lineup behind you and the words "Get Mountain Lion Today" slapped on top.

DrNoellyG
Jun 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
The more I read about the update the more nervous I get about the possible end of the Mac Pro. Give us one more at least Apple!

marcusj0015
Jun 4, 2012, 11:25 PM

I agree, minus the Mac Mini and Mac Pro, I think the Mac Pro'll be updated and the Mac Mini'll have to wait.

hakime
Jun 4, 2012, 11:28 PM
"Xeon E5 chips suitable for a significant Mac Pro update have been available for several months now"

I think you are exaggerating and getting it wrong. Intel started to ship the new Sandy bridge Xeons in April. HP started to ship their new line of workstations running the new processor from the end of April. Dell started to ship its new line of workstations last week!!!! So I guess Apple is not that late and please note that both HP and Dell did not update their workstations for almost two years just like Apple.

pgiguere1
Jun 4, 2012, 11:30 PM
If everyone gets disappointed this year, it's almost exclusively 9to5Mac's fault. :p

jamesnajera
Another rumor, I heard Apple was impressed by Dr. Dre's surprise of 2pac at Coachella. Apple called Dr. Dre in and talked about doing the same surprise with this WWDC. But it won't be 2pac doing the keynote. Anyone guess who it will be?

hirshnoc
You know, that is true. I remember hearing that. Can you expand on this a little more? I'm really curious to see why tomorrow will make more sense. (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)

Well, there hasn't been a keynote announcing new Apple hardware in a long time. Maybe the new aluminum keyboard was the last one, or the unibody Macbook. Apple keynotes used to revolve around Macs only. If you remember the Mac Pro was the last machine ever to get an Intel chip, and this was a big deal back when it was introduced.

If the Retina displays are the only change to the laptop/iMac and possible external display line, there doesn't seem much I would imagine to show. They've already wowed people twice by introducing this feature on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3; everybody knows it's coming, it's just a matter of when.

I don't think that eventualities are or should be a centric point of keynote addresses, unless there's a central innovative defining feature that merits highlighting, as this usually changes the entire course of the tech world in general.

On another note, I'm all for a new Mac Pro, although I did talk to an Apple employee recently who said they rarely sell them and he thinks the professionals are choosing iMacs now. I told him that I didn't think mobile processors and graphics cards were acceptable and I certainly wouldn't use them for my video editing work.

So we'll see.

valleydesign
Jun 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
Another rumor, I heard Apple was impressed by Dr. Dre's surprise of 2pac at Coachella. Apple called Dr. Dre in and talked about doing the same surprise with this WWDC. But it won't be 2pac doing the keynote. Anyone guess who it will be?

Biggie?

knewsom
Jun 4, 2012, 11:33 PM
Don't get your hopes up for a new Mac Pro. I have a hunch they're done.

iLilana
Jun 4, 2012, 11:34 PM
I need a good paying job so I can afford a new mac. My GINORMOUS iMac is 2 years old and i need a laptop for live shows.

ArcaneDevice
Jun 4, 2012, 11:35 PM
Holy crap I hope this rumor is true. I need a new MacBook for myself and a replacement work Mac pro that's years old. Ive had authorization to spend money since last year and I've been twiddling my thumbs ever since.

Yebubbleman
Jun 4, 2012, 11:36 PM
I fail to see how the MacBook Pro, having been officially refreshed in October 2011 is more due for an update than the iMac which was last officially refreshed in April/May 2011.

ajcadoo
Jun 4, 2012, 11:37 PM
The fact that most Macs will be eventually updated is not in question.

The question here is whether or not Apple will use the upcoming WWDC event (in a week) to make a change across multiple Mac families. It is already expected that Apple will refresh at least one of the Mac product lines.

Yeah Bro I know!

WWDC 2012 will see everything updated. If they aren't, Apple has lost their marbles. Do you see how much red is on the Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)?!

12dylan34
Jun 4, 2012, 11:37 PM
I highly doubt that. I know that on my college campus alone, there are thousands of these. It's probably one of, if not the top selling Apple laptop. Not that I would get one, since I'm used to working with 15", but this is just what I've observed

ajcadoo
Jun 4, 2012, 11:38 PM
I fail to see how the MacBook Pro, having been officially refreshed in October 2011 is more due for an update than the iMac which was last officially refreshed in April/May 2011.

I agree, but the MacBook is in more demand than the iMacs.

anberlinairlift
Jun 4, 2012, 11:38 PM
Would love to see a Mac Pro update. That one is MUCH needed...

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2012, 11:41 PM

Untrue, if you are talking about Mountain Lion and a One More Thing.... Pops up on that Mac time, you can talk about new models, highlighting the major changes. But I agree the idea of all 4/5 being talked about low. iOS 6 has only ever taken 40-45 minutes to talk about solely, so I see it around 1:40-2:00 hours long, it's their conference, they can make it as long as the would like.

hakime
Jun 4, 2012, 11:42 PM
Well, there hasn't been a keynote announcing new Apple hardware in a long time. Maybe the new aluminum keyboard was the last one, or the unibody Macbook. Apple keynotes used to revolve around Macs only. If you remember the Mac Pro was the last machine ever to get an Intel chip, and this was a big deal back when it was introduced.

If the Retina displays are the only change to the laptop/iMac and possible external display line, there doesn't seem much I would imagine to show. They've already wowed people twice by introducing this feature on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3; everybody knows it's coming, it's just a matter of when.

I don't think that eventualities are or should be a centric point of keynote addresses, unless there's a central innovative defining feature that merits highlighting, as this usually changes the entire course of the tech world in general.

On another note, I'm all for a new Mac Pro, although I did talk to an Apple employee recently who said they rarely sell them and he thinks the professionals are choosing iMacs now. I told him that I didn't think mobile processors and graphics cards were acceptable and I certainly wouldn't use them for my video editing work.

So we'll see.

If what you say is true then it is not surprising that they can't sell a lot of them recently since everyone in the world is waiting for new machines!!!!!

And if what you say is true, it is very worrying because that would mean that some people at Apple don't understand the needs of pro users any more. People need more cores, more Ram, ECC Ram, more ports, more storage, better GPU than any iMac is currently delivering.

iJcaP
Jun 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
Good point. But that was 2009.

We can eliminate the iPhone and iPad, since they are on different product cycles.

They've already announced and demoed Mountain Lion. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a more specific release date.

I really think that moving the iPhone refresh to September was an attempt to put the focus on software and developers at WWDC.

If the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are significant tech advances, they might warrant a mention. But I don't think a form factor change and a retina display are enough to dwell on.

Sorry to correct you but Mountain Lion has not been publicly and personally introduced and demoed by the company. They updated their website , sent out PR, and then sent out the beta to developers.

URFloorMatt
Jun 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
Am I crazy to think that they aren't going to release Mountain Lion along with these new devices? Seems very strange to go through all this trouble to coordinate new product launches and then do it all again when they switchover to OS X ML. I just feel like by converting the update process to Mac App Store, there's very little lead time necessary. No need to print packaging or discs, or ship them, for instance.

I see WWDC going down something like this:

1) iOS 6. Here are the [6/8/10] features we're highlighting. Beta available beginning [whenever]. Final version launches [Fall/September/October] 2012.

2) Now let's talk OS X ML. Here's a rundown of the finalized feature list. Let me highlight a few things we haven't previewed before. Available for download on the Mac App Store [this Wednesday/next Wednesday/in two weeks].

3) And one more thing: here's our lineup of refreshed hardware. Here are some of the new features we want to highlight [Retina, etc.]. Preorder starts [today/Friday]. Begins shipping [next week/in two weeks].

mdntcallr
Jun 4, 2012, 11:44 PM
Maybe there will be new Retina Cinema Displays, and the Mac Pro has been delayed to coincide with that release. [crosses fingers]

I can only hope so! and for there to be a touchscreen set of display options.

so artists can do lots of things with their monitors/displays

iJcaP
Jun 4, 2012, 11:47 PM
Am I crazy to think that they aren't going to release Mountain Lion along with these new devices? Seems very strange to go through all this trouble to coordinate new product launches and then do it all again when they switchover to OS X ML.

I feel like by converting the update to Mac App Store, there's very little lead time necessary. I see it going down something like this:

1) iOS 6. Here are the [6/8/10] features we're highlighting. Beta available beginning [whenever]. Final version launches [Fall/September/October] 2012.

2) Now let's talk OS X ML. Here's a rundown of the finalized feature list. Let me highlight a few things we haven't previewed before. Available for download on the Mac App Store [this Wednesday/next Wednesday/in two weeks].

3) And one more thing: here's our lineup of refreshed hardware. Here are some of the new features we want to highlight [Retina, etc.]. Preorder starts [today/Friday]. Begins shipping [next week/in two weeks].

Sorry to be referring to this previous WWDC, but in 2009 they did everything in the reverse order you just said. Mac, OS X, then iOS. I know the past can't be reliable, but just wanted to make a pointer- not to correct you or to take a stance.

fjanderson94
Jun 4, 2012, 11:50 PM

Agreed

drewisanapple
Jun 4, 2012, 11:51 PM
Am I crazy to think that they aren't going to release Mountain Lion along with these new devices?

ML is said to launch in "late Summer" but, with releasing previews in february, looking back to 2011, Lion launched Developer Previews in February as well and went live July 20th.

So I do see these Macs shipping without Mountain Lion, but free Upgrades.

kxbcvoi
Jun 4, 2012, 11:52 PM
I think MacBook Pro and iMac will get a major update at wwdc. MacBook Air and Mac mini will follow in two months but only a minor update. As for Mac Pro, they might pretend that it doesn't exist and say nothing about it like iPod Classic.

erockadus
Jun 4, 2012, 11:58 PM
It seems like Apple is taking forever to get updates into the market these days, meanwhile samsung has busted out everything under the sun in no time. :mad:

brdeveloper
Jun 4, 2012, 11:59 PM
Macbook Pro 13" of my dreams:
Retina display (IPS, of course), ethernet port. 8GB RAM would be nice too. That is, just install a retina display and give more ram to the display adapter and apps.

valleydesign
Jun 5, 2012, 12:00 AM
Wishful thinking but tomorrow would be prime to discretely update the mac pro if they aren't planning on including it in a massive refresh. Everyone is focused on wwdc. E3 is going on.

nspyro
Jun 5, 2012, 12:01 AM
I don't need to update my Mac Pro, but when I do, I would like to know they will still be around (and updated). +1 for new Mac Pros

charlituna
Jun 5, 2012, 12:01 AM

1. It's a rumor not a fact

2. there's a huge question about it being at WWDC -- the Apple Software Conference

3. they are saying that basically every computer, plus the displays, airport line, keyboards, mouse etc are all being updated. Plus they are going to announce the iPhone hardware etc. At once, in a 90 minute keynote. Seems like a tad much for one event.

faroZ06
Jun 5, 2012, 12:04 AM
Holding out for a shiny old 2008 Mac Pro :D

DaGreat01
Jun 5, 2012, 12:07 AM
I really don't think we will see Mac hardware updates talked about during WWDC. Not that they won't be updated though.

I just don't see how there would be enough time to show off iOS6's new features, plus officially talk about Mountain Lion, and new extreme hardware changes all in one keynote.

GREEN4U
Jun 5, 2012, 12:12 AM

Since this is WWDC, the keynote will be software focused. iOS 6 demo, AppleTV API demo, various developers demoing their games on the AppleTV. That, in addition to the introduction/recap of how incredibly awesome iOS is doing, will easily take up 2 hours.

I have a feeling, barring any significant redesign, that the hardware will be updated via press release. Maybe a mention of retina displays across the board.

Hardware doesn't take very long to introduce. You don't have to explain everything like you do with software. It could be said in a few sentences with a couple of slides. 5 minutes each computer. "...And today we're introducing a new Macbook Pro. It's 1/2" thinner. It has USB 3.0, 3 ports. Thunderbolt. And I think you guys are going like this. Retina Display. And we're going to be selling it...for $1499..TODAY."

bwillwall
Jun 5, 2012, 12:17 AM
Wow, I always had this in the back of my head with WWDC coming up and nothing blatantly obvious to be announced, Tim Cooks secrecy statement, and all those rumors of a whole new lineup in 2012 that were here last year! As out there as this sounds I think it's actually a likely possibility!

vvebsta
Jun 5, 2012, 12:17 AM
I want new Mac Pros! How are we supposed to get work done on puny iMac processors?!?

applefanDrew
Jun 5, 2012, 12:22 AM
I highly doubt that. I know that on my college campus alone, there are thousands of these. It's probably one of, if not the top selling Apple laptop. Not that I would get one, since I'm used to working with 15", but this is just what I've observed

The market that buys the current 13 inch MacBook Pro will buy the 13 inch MacBook air. I fully expect the Pro to be discontinued.

iMcLovin
Jun 5, 2012, 12:23 AM
Oooh, finally some decent news to wake up to! I sincerely hope, for the sake of Mac Pro users, that this is one of the machines that will get an update. Me wants an iMac.

9to5mac has got some great predictions lately, they must have gotten some great sources.

bungiefan89
Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 AM
iMac with HDMI in/out port, please! :)

cire1244
Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 AM
Everyone yells at me when I say this but...

I still think that the newer/slimmer laptop is just going to be a badass MacBook Air while the MacBook Pro line gets an even bigger performance boost. The Pro will further distinguish itself with an optical drive, graphics card, ethernet port etc etc...

di1in
Jun 5, 2012, 12:29 AM
gotta buy em all!!!!

Gotta' catch 'em all!

Pokemon!!

Couldn't resist:o

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 12:30 AM
Gotta' catch 'em all!

Pokemon!!

Couldn't resist:o

Thst's what i was going for ;)

iOzzie
Jun 5, 2012, 12:35 AM
iPod Classic, please?

Good to see bumps across the range, they are all up for it. Kudos to Apple, must be tough work to develop and improve all these lines @ once with the obvious effort across other areas of the business.v

bdkennedy1
Jun 5, 2012, 12:36 AM
I don't agree that the Mac Mini is more likely to see an update over the Mac Pro. The Mac Mini is small revenue and the server version is something that IT departments don't want to update frequently. I think Apple was waiting for the Mac Pro community to unite to see how much demand there was for it -- waiting for it to happen, which is why they have been "sitting on it" for the past 2 years.

The Mac Pro is engineered to be a powerhouse. Not something that is frequently updated. Apple probably realized that there's no point in coming out with annual updates if people are going to be satisfied with its level of technology for 3-4 years.

rickdollar
Jun 5, 2012, 12:38 AM
Sure would be nice if they made plugging in an SSD as easy as it is to plug in RAM.

MythicFrost
Jun 5, 2012, 12:40 AM
Finally some nice Mac rumours! This is sounding good!

12dylan34
Jun 5, 2012, 12:49 AM
The market that buys the current 13 inch MacBook Pro will buy the 13 inch MacBook air. I fully expect the Pro to be discontinued.

Yeah, I guess I forgot that there was a 13 inch alternative. Sorry about that.

Torrijos
Jun 5, 2012, 12:51 AM
Sure would be nice if they made plugging in an SSD as easy as it is to plug in RAM.

That could have been part of the reason the refresh has been delayed if they needed more time to apply Anobit tech in the Mac line.

I personally hope another reason for the wait, until WWDC (and Mountain Lion), to be PowerVR Series6 based graphics, but that's just wishful thinking.

ellaimac
Jun 5, 2012, 12:52 AM
PLEEEASE optical drive for imac 💿📀💿📀💽💽💽 they arent as old as cassetes 📼 after all...

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 12:53 AM
I don't agree that the Mac Mini is more likely to see an update over the Mac Pro. The Mac Mini is small revenue and the server version is something that IT departments don't want to update frequently. I think Apple was waiting for the Mac Pro community to unite to see how much demand there was for it -- waiting for it to happen, which is why they have been "sitting on it" for the past 2 years.

The Mac Pro is engineered to be a powerhouse. Not something that is frequently updated. Apple probably realized that there's no point in coming out with annual updates if people are going to be satisfied with its level of technology for 3-4 years.
Yeah, but it is relatively easy for Apple to update the Mac mini, now that they have decided that it's a headless low-end MacBook.

With the demise of the Xserve, there are more server farms relying on Mac minis which pack more value at a lower cost, smaller physical footprint, and lower power requirements compared to the old rackmount hardware.

Apple tends to update the Mac mini shortly after updating the MacBooks because the architecture is so similar. This includes software fixes such as graphics driver and EFI updates.

andyjam
Jun 5, 2012, 12:54 AM

The margin on a MBP is more than on a MBA. Apple will make more money selling 1000 MBP's than 1000 MBA's, so why discontinue the more profitable line? Even if every single 13" MBP customer purchased a 13" MBA instead, they're going to come out worse off...

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 12:56 AM
So I guess no one will be disappointed when all of these computers come out on June 6th? :cool:

DrNoellyG
Jun 5, 2012, 12:58 AM
So I guess no one will be disappointed when all of these computers come out on June 6th? :cool:

They can update the apple store tonight if they want to, I know I'm ready.

drewisanapple
Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 AM
PLEEEASE optical drive for imac 💿📀💿📀💽💽💽 they arent as old as cassetes 📼 after all...

Optical drives on desktops make perfect sense. You can use it to burn files, but even transfer what ever is on the disk to your laptop with an apple feature. So I don't know if we'll see it completely disappear.

zephonic
Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 AM
Oh good, more blah.

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 01:02 AM
Apple typically announces new hardware on a Tuesday, so Wednesday the 6th would be an odd day for that to happen.

Tuesday is the traditional press release day here in Silicon Vally since it works well with legacy publishing schedules for weekly deadtrees periodicals.

Moreover, there are usually reports from channel partners that inventory has dried up, or lead times for shipping from Apple.com jump dramatically shortly a new product release.

We have seen neither at this time, which makes a hardware release in less than 48 hours highly unlikely. That said, if it happens, it happens on Tuesday, not Wednesday.

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 01:07 AM
The Apple Store is down..... you're welcome for ruining your sleep schedule.

Bombbeach
Jun 5, 2012, 01:07 AM
I guess that means today?

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 01:10 AM

Nope. But maybe. Probably not. We can dream?

mdgm

The store has been down a lot recently. It could well just be more work in preparation for new products or a lot of work addressing security issues.

4God
Probably just maintenance. Odd time to go down for product refreshes.

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 01:13 AM
Well I can't wait to see what happens with this evolving process :)
-apple store down
ALLL NIIIIIGGGHHHTEERR!

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 01:13 AM
Probably just maintenance. Odd time to go down for product refreshes.

Not that odd. Tuesdays/Wednesdays are release days.

4God
Jun 5, 2012, 01:15 AM
Not that odd. Tuesdays/Wednesdays are release days.

Yeah, but the store doesn't usually go down this early for a Tuesday refresh.
Not at least for a couple more hours...

Punkwaffle
Jun 5, 2012, 01:21 AM
4 UPDATES:
•MacBook -upgraded and has retina display
•MacBook Air- -upgraded and has retina display
•Mac Mini -upgraded
•Apple OS -mountain lion/ iOS 6

Where's the iMac? Where's the Apple TV? - they are the same product, prepare to see the most polished product repositioning PREVIEW.

The iPhone era started well after the keynote and the "Hello" ad. Hype and competitors will surge and Apple will learn from the successes and mistake of others. Hopefully this airshare like thing from Microsoft makes it. Looks promising.

Essentially what we'll get is a super awesome does everything retina display in iMac and TV size options. The accessory push will naturally start with some game changers from apple and continue to evolve in the iecosystem.

If they go balls out, we might even see a video of SJ talking about the concept in its earlier stages. Last thing, remember CES in 2006? Yeah. Me neither…point is who's going to remember E3 2012 with a WWDC right after?

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah, but the store doesn't usually go down this early for a Tuesday refresh.
Not at least for a couple more hours...
True.

These late night (well Pacific Time late night) store maintenance shutdowns never result in major new product listings. They really are maintenance timeouts.

di1in
Jun 5, 2012, 01:33 AM
Apple, y u no update macs

SchneiderMan
Jun 5, 2012, 01:34 AM
Bring it on!

AndyV
Jun 5, 2012, 01:37 AM
I was just wondering, since i read about the end of the Mac Pro line too many times, what will apple use in there HQ if they drop it ? Do they themselves have no need for a upgradeable towerlike PC ? Will they use Hackintoshs ? Does an iMac serve all their needs ?

Since they used to build stuff they like to use themselves...hm

Nostromo
Jun 5, 2012, 01:38 AM
The big wait is for the Mac Pro.

I'm also curious if the mini will get a little more power and RAM that can be self-installed.

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 01:40 AM
*sigh* The Mac Pro isn't going anywhere. it's like the all-knowing elder of the Macs. The others are all Hipster counterparts, needing attention and updates each year. Meanwhile, the Mac Pro just chills with it's epicness and 8-12 cores of power, and giggles at the other devices' Thunderbolt ports, which most people only want so that they can attach exterior units of storage/processing/etc. so that they can justify their actions of NOT buying the Pro in the first Place. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

MattInOz
Jun 5, 2012, 01:41 AM

Isn't the keynote followed by a detailed session for each of the OS's and design awards now in the early evening?

They could use more of the Keynote for hardware if they wanted.

rever3nce
Jun 5, 2012, 01:44 AM
So is it rumored to be just the macbook pro's? or imacs too?

thekeyring
Jun 5, 2012, 01:46 AM
Bring on an updated MacBook Pro! & some idea as to when the new iPod touches will be out?

mrxak
Jun 5, 2012, 01:47 AM
I'm hoping it's the mini that's not announced, if there's to be an odd Mac out, though obviously it'd be nice if we got 5/5. They can release a minor refresh sometime later with a press release, it's a small, easy forgotten product and I don't know why they'd spend any time on it at WWDC.

The MacBook Pro has a large following. People will care to see them presented. It's a good candidate for retina displays, as well, which may be the entire focus of the 10.8 presentation.

The MacBook Air, same deal. Important product people will want to see, especially if it has a retina display.

The iMac, as dinky as it is, is still a major product line that people care about. It makes sense to show it off if there's a new one, and it's got an integrated retina display.

Of the two headless Macs, well, the Mac Pro is the only one people ever talk about, ever care about. I say this as the proud owner of three minis. The Mac Pro is far more impressive to show off at WWDC in front of media and web-streamers around the world. If Apple's going to release new cinema displays with retina resolutions, it's the one computer likely to even have the power to run those pixels. Even if there are no new cinema displays, at least the Mac Pro is newsworthy. The mini simply isn't, as useful as it is in certain niches.

So, if we're getting 4/5, I really think–really hope–the mini is the odd Mac out.

thekeyring
Jun 5, 2012, 01:54 AM

That is not true in all cases. If you leave aside the fact the 13" Air is more expensive, it's got a tiny SSD.

Someone like me who wants a 13" Pro to use final cut would be happy with an Air RAM wise, but not for it's price or SSD.

If they discontinue the 13" Pro, I'll likely get the 15".

cvaldes
Jun 5, 2012, 01:59 AM
Isn't the keynote followed by a detailed session for each of the OS's and design awards now in the early evening?

They could use more of the Keynote for hardware if they wanted.
The design awards were never a part of any official Apple presentation (hosted by Steve), at least not in a major way.

Apple doesn't linger on what happened. They talk about the new stuff.

There's a limit to how much time they can spend on a keynote (in terms of audience interest), so they really need to focus the breadth of their topics. Assuming a 90 minute presentation, I would guess that over 60 minutes would be on iOS and OS X, with relatively little time spent on hardware.

After all, above all this is a developer event.

thekeyring
Jun 5, 2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah Bro I know!

WWDC 2012 will see everything updated. If they aren't, Apple has lost their marbles. Do you see how much red is on the Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)?!

I just checked and the iPod classic is on 999 days :') I wonder if anyone's holding out on an update for that?

anthony11
Jun 5, 2012, 02:01 AM
I fail to see how the MacBook Pro, having been officially refreshed in October 2011

Minor mid-life kicker in the form of a modest clock bump Don't he product didn't seem stale -- hardly qualifies as a refresh.

iMikeT
Jun 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
Good news for anyone who's been waiting. I'm looking forward to a MacBook Pro myself.

Mr. Gates
Jun 5, 2012, 02:04 AM
I just checked and the iPod classic is on 999 days :') I wonder if anyone's holding out on an update for that?

I am.

The iPod classic is a wonderful car accessory. I have over 1 TB of music and love to keep rotating what I have on shuffle.

If they come out with a 256 gig option I'll get 4 just for the car

samxool
Jun 5, 2012, 02:13 AM
Apple. There's no need to update the Mac Pro.
No one I know uses one.
Just let the Mac Pro die already!!!!

boto
Jun 5, 2012, 02:15 AM
I'm really anticipating for the updated iMac. Hopefully the new hardware features will include:
1) Retina display with MATTE SCREEN!
2) Nvidia GeForce GTX 680m (Just released today and is 15% faster than AMD 7970m, though Apple will more or less offer this option for the $300 extra premium cost)
3) Cheaper SSD + HDD options
4) Slimmer design and 802.11ac chipsets
5) And the obvious, USB 3.0 and Ivy bridge i7 3770

If all of these apply, I'm willing to pay any amount.

empezar
Jun 5, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hoping for a Mac Pro. That way I can use my old as a server instead of buying a crappy PC server.

voyagerd
Jun 5, 2012, 02:23 AM
Bring it!

I might have to get a MacBook Air for work after I start my job so I don't have to use the heavy HP laptop they give me.

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 02:24 AM
No one I know uses one.

The world revolves around you and your friends.

Confuzzzed
Jun 5, 2012, 02:26 AM

Agreed. Especially put in context of what they said in Oct last updated the MBPs, that these (2011 MBP) machines are so good, the may well be the last traditional type of laptops you'll ever need (words to that effect)

bilbo--baggins
Jun 5, 2012, 02:27 AM
Given that the Mac Pro hasn't been updated for 2 years - this should be top of the list of models to be updated, especially as there is absolutely no excuse not to in terms of updated processors.

I will seriously lose faith in Apple if they don't either update the Mac Pro or announce an alternative.

Confuzzzed
This has to be their best kept secret in a while. We haven't seen ANY leaks for ANY of these Macs (at least to the best of my knowledge. please if there were leaks show me :)). This keeps me so curious and excited for these Macs. I think they'll drop the 13" Pro, lower the price of the 13" MBA and have only a 15" pro notebook at a more reasonable price.

It's harder to leave an iMac in a bar

ellaimac
The world revolves around you and your friends.

Loooool. 😂😂😂

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
No one I know uses one.

Sorry that your one friend with the 3rd gen ipod and your other with an iPhone 4 can't relate. Howabout you edit videos for 7 years of your life? We will see how essential they are XD

----------

It's harder to leave an iMac in a bar

For some reason I was trying to make a joke out of that....

So, an iPhone walks out of a bar.... XD

Confuzzzed
Jun 5, 2012, 02:31 AM
3) Cheaper SSD + HDD options

SSD (even 128GB) + 750GB HDD as standard is my hope

Mr. Gates
No one I know uses one.

So.....Do you know anyone who makes more than 12k per year ?

I'm a PC and a Mac.

Don't knock it just because you never tried it....OR DON"T UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE IT :D

SprodeBoy
Hoping for a Mac Pro. That way I can use my old as a server instead of buying a crappy PC server.

Sorry but wouldn't you use the new one as a server since its faster and the old one as a personal computer (even though the old one will still be bitchingly fast)

bilbo--baggins
Jun 5, 2012, 02:32 AM
Actually - I'm wondering if they'll update some of the Macs THIS week - given that there is going to be a huge amount of stuff to cover at WWDC.

If they're covering Mountain Lion, iOS 6, new range of iWork Apps (just see how out of date current apps are - they have share via iWork.com link), and the doubtful rumours of new Apple TV (though the current product needs serious improvements to the software) - how are they going to have time to announce new models of Mac too?

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:33 AM
So.....Do you know anyone who makes more than 12k per year ?

I'm a PC and a Mac.

Don't knock it just because you never tried it....OR DON"T UNDERSTAND HOW TO USE IT :D

BREAKING NEWS! Bill (Mr.) Gates uses macs XD

ellaimac
Sorry that your one friend with the 3rd gen ipod and your other with an iPhone 4 can't relate. Howabout you edit videos for 7 years of your life? We will see how essential they are XD

----------

...And a dual dock iPad waks in...

SprodeBoy
Oh and BTW: Store still down ;) I'll start freaking out if it's still down in 4 hours

Mike Oxard
Jun 5, 2012, 02:34 AM
Stores down so they must be coming out today ;)

Mr. Gates
Jun 5, 2012, 02:34 AM
BREAKING NEWS! Bill (Mr.) Gates uses macs XD

Running joke with me. My last name really is Gates. I'm not Bill. But I do respect the guy.

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:35 AM
...And a dual dock iPad waks in...

So I heard about that, any response from the buyer? I really am interested if it was real, and how it performed, and if it isn't just some hole drilled into the side of an original iPad with a 'SUCK IT!" written inside. I still cant believe someone would pay over $40,000 for that.... JUST BUY 15 MAC PROS!

ellaimac
Jun 5, 2012, 02:35 AM
Oh and BTW: Store still down ;) I'll start freaking out if it's still down in 4 hours

Stores down so they must be coming out today ;)

You guys havent learned anything from a few weeks ago? After that, i stopped being high expecting. I guess this is just another maimtenance.

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 02:36 AM
The stores were down much longer than 4 hours last week. And for a thermostat. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

hirshnoc
Jun 5, 2012, 02:36 AM
Untrue, if you are talking about Mountain Lion and a One More Thing.... Pops up on that Mac time, you can talk about new models, highlighting the major changes. But I agree the idea of all 4/5 being talked about low. iOS 6 has only ever taken 40-45 minutes to talk about solely, so I see it around 1:40-2:00 hours long, it's their conference, they can make it as long as the would like.

When have you ever seen any keynote going 2 hours long? They might as well introduce a new iWork while they're at it...

It's going to be (most likely) 10 things for iOS, 10 things for Mountain Lion, as per usual. I'm pretty sure they have learned that people's attention span and energy doesn't go past 90 mins.

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:37 AM
Running joke with me. My last name really is Gates. I'm not Bill. But I do respect the guy.

Your signature explains the boards every time the apple site is down. Example (and quote by me... )
Well I can't wait to see what happens with this evolving process :)
-apple store down
ALLL NIIIIIGGGHHHTEERR!

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 02:38 AM
Apple Store is back online.

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:41 AM
Nothing new in the Apple store. Unless that fathers day stuff wasn't there. Iw ouldnt know

samxool

----------

You can edit video on a macbook.. whats your point?

thekeyring
I am.

The iPod classic is a wonderful car accessory. I have over 1 TB of music and love to keep rotating what I have on shuffle.

If they come out with a 256 gig option I'll get 4 just for the car

1TB of music? The current iPod classic holds 40,000 songs - that's 99c a song - you've spent more than $39,000 on music? O_O

ellaimac
Jun 5, 2012, 02:42 AM
1TB of music? The current iPod classic holds 40,000 songs - that's 99c a song - you've spent more than $39,000 on music? O_O

*picks up jaw*

BWhaler
Jun 5, 2012, 02:43 AM
It seems like too much news on one day.

Apple is smart about controlling media cycles, and these would get lost in bigger WWDC news.

I think it's either just the MBP, or if it is all at once, it'll be today (Tuesday) or after WWDC.

voyagerd
Jun 5, 2012, 02:43 AM

If you try to edit uncompressed 4K video on a MacBook..
You're gonna have a bad time.

I would make the image but I'm lazy...

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:44 AM

You totally can. I am actually getting a MBP (2012) for my main editing computer! my point is that kid was a FOOL!

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 02:45 AM

Don't be naive.

SprodeBoy
Is this new? I have never seen this before. __________________http://store.apple.com/us/education_payment_plan

bwcmusic
Is this new? I have never seen this before. __________________http://store.apple.com/us/education_payment_plan

Introduced last week, I believe.

Mr. Gates
Jun 5, 2012, 02:47 AM

Not everyone started their music collection with the birth of the iTunes Store. I have a massive library of vinyl records .....Ya Know , the big old black disks :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I have a setup to convert them all to 320 MP3's

Mostly 60s and 70s Prog, Proto Metal, Psych, Rock, Glitter, Power Pop, and strange stuff you might not even be aware of.

And that aint even the Japanese stuff..

Anyway, Yup ......Screw iTunes in the butt

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:47 AM
Introduced last week, I believe.

Thanks. It is really interesting to me because I do not ahve all the funds right now that I would need for the stuff I want (I'm only 17 XD)

bwcmusic
Jun 5, 2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks. It is really interesting to me because I do not ahve all the funds right now that I would need for the stuff I want (I'm only 17 XD)

It's great, but keep in mind the interest on those loans are sorta staggering. You'll end up paying a few hundred more in the long run.

BWhaler
Jun 5, 2012, 02:51 AM
Here's hoping FINALLY for the Powerbook G5!

Image (http://www.bpirozzolo.com/powerbookg5.jpg)

Never gets old!...well...

Still funny.

I miss the G5 days. We were so delusional trusting Moto.

SprodeBoy
Jun 5, 2012, 02:53 AM
It's great, but keep in mind the interest on those loans are sorta staggering. You'll end up paying a few hundred more in the long run.

For a highschooler, It is hard to come up with a large amount of money all at once. So I am willing to spend a couple hundred more.

quasibinaer
Jun 5, 2012, 03:03 AM
Am I crazy to think that they aren't going to release Mountain Lion along with these new devices? Seems very strange to go through all this trouble to coordinate new product launches and then do it all again when they switchover to OS X ML. I just feel like by converting the update process to Mac App Store, there's very little lead time necessary. No need to print packaging or discs, or ship them, for instance.

I see WWDC going down something like this:

This. And nothing else.

I really hope they update the MacPro, the constant stream of hardware-related smugness from my friends (who use windows) puts me in agony. :| The only question left now: What will they be playing during seating? :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8
Jun 5, 2012, 03:04 AM
Apple to Update Nearly Entire Mac Lineup at WWDC?

Please take out the word "nearly"...

dkouts
Jun 5, 2012, 03:07 AM
If there's no mac pro announced It would be a perfect time for HP to announce some new beast workstation. I reckon this will be the final straw for many including me - and I even liked fcpx.

That said if they intro a hypothetical "iMac pro", with high end graphics, and such I will look seriously at it.

MacsRgr8
Jun 5, 2012, 03:11 AM
80% of rumors seem to be correct, I like those odds.

Is that a rumour?

kegler
Jun 5, 2012, 03:20 AM
Thumbs up for apple marketing team. The best advertisement is speculation 😁

----------

Thumbs up for apple marketing team. The best form of advertisement is speculation 😁

zigzag801
Jun 5, 2012, 03:23 AM
The wait is killing me!! lol I'll be ordering a new iMac right when they get released! I've been waiting patiently since March, and of course when I do order it I'll still have to wait ~2 weeks, but WWDC needs to hurry up!

ellaimac
Jun 5, 2012, 03:24 AM
Thumbs up for apple marketing team. The best advertisement is speculation 😁

----------

Thumbs up for apple marketing team. The best form of advertisement is speculation 😁

Hahah yeah right. 😉

Schizoid
Jun 5, 2012, 03:30 AM
Farewell Mac Pro, you were a great machine... unfortunately Apple hate you

macbook123
Jun 5, 2012, 03:31 AM
Mark my words: They will get rid of the glass displays on all their products, and bezels will finally be thinner.

Baklava
Jun 5, 2012, 03:33 AM
At the end of the last event, Mr. Cook said, that 2012 will be a great year for Apple and they've just begun. I am really excited about this years releases.
Retina MacBook air! Retina MacBook pro!
I know, most people won't agree with me but in my opinion retina displays are senseless for bigger devices. This feature is a huge graphic memory sucker and most people won't need it.

The last events were just one disappointment after another, at least for me. I hope this years WWDC keynote will change this.

Would love to see a Mac Pro update. That one is MUCH needed...
My inner voice is telling me, that Mac Pro is going to die. I hope, he is wrong.

It seems like Apple is taking forever to get updates into the market these days, meanwhile samsung has busted out everything under the sun in no time. :mad:
Is it just Apple, who doesn't care very much about desktop devices (Mac Pro)? The competitors are releasing powerful workstations, aren't they? I am not up-to-date what the PC market's doing.

iPod Classic, please?
Dead. :( My last music player was an iPod Classic. To carry around your entire music library and using it as an external file storage device it is really great. But most people chose the iPod touch nowadays and yes, it really has way more features. Since Apple's strategy is to prizing aggressively and going for volume, they will surely discontinue the Classic, together with the Mac Pro. They did it with Xserve before.

AplFanDubai
There haven't been any solid leaks, just some quotes from sources talking about macbook pro's getting a redesign and some recent talk about retina displays for nearly every line.

My point is, it seems unlikely that apple will give major updates (major meaning something they would talk about at wwdc) to 4 of their 5 lines. And, since the MBP is the only line that has had multiple rumors it will be the likely candidate for a major update.

That said, with the new intel's out now it does seem that everything (except for maybe the mac pro's) is due for an update of some kind before xmas. And it would be cool if everything had a retina display (option) by then.

Final prediction for wwdc:

announce and demo ios6

same for ML

MBP-13" gone (MBA will easily take the place there)

MBP-15" thinner form factor, new processor, retina display as an option (much like there is an option for high res/matte finish now). No optical drive, no ethernet port, SSD is still just an option (currently a very expensive option, no way this is going into the standard set up), USB 3.0 added.

MBP-17" no update, will come in a couple months quietly alongside another update (maybe with iMac?)

Final note, Cook's recent comment about doubling secrecy is interesting...has apple pulled a fast one on everybody? Here's hoping...

Schizoid
Mark my words: They will get rid of the glass displays on all their products, and bezels will finally be thinner.

ok, your words have been marked...

haravikk
Jun 5, 2012, 03:38 AM
In the past the Mac Pro has always been updated with chips that aren't available to anyone else yet, so if it isn't updated then hopefully it's just delaying a little longer till the next Xeon update comes out.

Still, isn't there a possibility that the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will become a single product with a greater range of models? The high-end MacBook Air isn't that fair behind after-all, and the portability of the Air has arguably been more popular than the greater speed/capacity of the Pro.

Baklava
Jun 5, 2012, 03:39 AM
MBP-17" no update, will come in a couple months quietly alongside another update (maybe with iMac?)
In my opinion, they will be discontinued anytime soon.

Macist
Jun 5, 2012, 03:39 AM
If Apple no longer want to make the Mac Pro they MUST allow a niche official clone-maker to create something like them under licence.

I understand that a lot of the kinds of people that used to use towers are now on MacBooks and iMacs exclusively but in certain sectors you just can't have too much power.

madrag
Jun 5, 2012, 03:44 AM
"And it begins!"

I love when the rumours start appearing, I now "believe" something will be released soon :)

BTW, what about a Retina Mac Pro :D

olowott
Jun 5, 2012, 03:47 AM
Next Week is looking so Far away:mad:

Oi! , just keep the :apple: rumours coming as we need it to keep breathing

R0bert
Jun 5, 2012, 03:54 AM
Given that the next iPhone appears to come in black aluminum we might
see black MacBooks too.

iZac
Jun 5, 2012, 03:58 AM
"New" MBPs and spec bumps for everything else, me thinks. That way it's only one item on the schedule, instead of a plethora of new introductions. They'll have more than enough to talk about with ML and iOS walkthoughs.

steveOooo
Jun 5, 2012, 04:01 AM
Agreed

Hmm if the 15" Mbp is thinner (without the optical) then I think it will be referred to as 'mb air')

So I ca see the 'pro' name gone from macs - perhaps the mac pro becomes 'mac' but then again, everyone calls their macs 'mac' so maybe mac pro name will remain...

I just think apple should do what sony, Panasonic, canon etc do and have the pro segment seperate from the consumer division. Ie a seperate tab n their site where you can view pro products and buy the mac pro etc as most consumers don't want the raw sexy OOOMPFFF of the mac pro!
Theres talk of apple entering the still photography market too, could have a super pro camera too in there

eric44
Jun 5, 2012, 04:02 AM
Is it possible that the whole range needs updating at the same time because of the new wifi (ac) standard?
Could we be looking at new airport extreme, express and time capsule all using the new standard?
If so then doesn't the whole mac range need updating at the same time to ac standard?

SchneiderMan
Jun 5, 2012, 04:03 AM
I'm thinking an even larger trackpad and thinner form factor.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6962/6agok.jpg

Crissov
Jun 5, 2012, 04:05 AM
They will talk about higher resolutions on the tops of desks and laps, but primarily from the software, i.e. Mountain Lion, perspective. To accompany, there will be at least one updated product to show off why developers should care about HiDPI modes. I would guess iMac or MacBook, but I could well be wrong.

Since Macs, especially stationary ones, aren’t Apple’s main focus anymore, it would make some sense to streamline their product line-up. This could happen in several ways:

Merging the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines into a new “MacBook” line has been suggested several times and it isn’t totally unrealistic. Less often and less prominent there was speculation about an iOS-powered “iBook”, perhaps smaller than the little MBA and perhaps being a dumb screen device with a slot for an iPhone or iPod touch to power it (although 3rd parties already have announced devices like that).

I think a new combined Mac Mini/Pro (and Time Capsule) concept would be cool, where you can easily stack up modules (with Mini footprint) for graphics power, storage, external media etc., using Thunderbolt. This hasn’t been rumored yet, though, so is pure wishful thinking.

The Display and iMac may become the same product with and without processing and storage.

The Mac Pro may be discontinued entirely, but Apple has always relied on high-end devices for its most loyal customers, who will spread the word. However, this market segment isn’t as important anymore, in a time where one out of two high-school kids has at least one iPhone or iPod.

Finally, concerning accessories, I still hope Apple is developing or testing keyboards where all key tops are touch enabled, making them act as a huge virtual touchpad.

PS: Nobody is expecting any focus on the Apple TV (set) at WWDC, right? But it would become an important device for developers, if it was opened up for apps (including games).

Jynto
Jun 5, 2012, 04:06 AM
gotta buy em all!!!!

----------

buy ALL the new updates XD

They're not Pokemon, you know.

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 04:09 AM
I'm a night owl, and had a lot of fun with last weeks 9 hour roller coaster ride on the macrumors forums. I'm like a kid, give me a cardboard box, you've got my attention for hours.

If it makes anyone feel better; at a point when the main store page came up; the mac pro and imac pages were down along with the laptops. According to the rules of the internet rumor mill: that means something. :0

And, again, anyone who thinks the Mac Pros are either going or going and not being replaced with something comparable are batty.

mentaluproar
Jun 5, 2012, 04:13 AM
I hope this is true. My mother has been harassing me for advice on a replacement work laptop and I keep telling her to get a macbook air. The timing would be perfect.

----------

Is it possible that the whole range needs updating at the same time because of the new wifi (ac) standard?
Could we be looking at new airport extreme, express and time capsule all using the new standard?
If so then doesn't the whole mac range need updating at the same time to ac standard?

No way apple is going after 802.11ac until someone else has thrown a product into market. Apple would be foolish not to wait and see what mistakes the first implementations of wireless ac make.

mabaker
Jun 5, 2012, 04:15 AM
Any rumors on PowerBooks G5? Shouldn't they have come up already by now? :confused: Been dying to buy one for ages.

jens5202
exciting! i can't wait for a slimmer 13' MBP! (which i really hope will not be taken over by the 13 MBA) :(

agree! id much rather have the MBP design than the MPA one!

Pegamush
My inner voice is telling me, that Mac Pro is going to die. I hope, he is wrong.

as someone noted, the actual macpro doesn't even have a thunderbolt display, where the only display sold by apple comes with thunderbolt. to me, this means if they wanted to update it the would have done it before.
but i keep hoping for a miracle, as i was hoping for the ipod classic:

Dead. :( My last music player was an iPod Classic.
i gave up hope and started modding old ipods with new batteries and compact flash cards.
if you have the money, you can fit a 128gb flash card on a 3rd gen ipod (2003), which is the most sweet piece of electronic ever made, or even an ipod mini if you want something smaller in size, but not in capacity!!

jens5202
Jun 5, 2012, 04:20 AM
PLEASE! for the love of god, dont get rid of the 13" MBP!! D: i've wanted to buy it for such a long time, and i dont want it replaced by the MPA! :(

steveOooo
Jun 5, 2012, 04:20 AM
"And it begins!"

I love when the rumours start appearing, I now "believe" something will be released soon :)

BTW, what about a Retina Mac Pro :D

And one more thing....

The NEEEWWWW iMacProAirLisaPadPhone - it has all the power of everything apple *hick* *belch* has ever created EVER and it also comes with a 6ft stylus and 4" black and white display....
'said a very drunk Tim Cook, shortly after, his pants fell down and he passed out on stage, with drool excreting from his lips, clinging onto the apple remote

bushido
Jun 5, 2012, 04:21 AM
SSD is still just an option (currently a very expensive option, no way this is going into the standard set up)

the prices of SSDs have fallen last month though. i got a 250 GB SSD for 180€, the same SSD was 350€ 2 months ago. However if you add the apple tax (just look at their crazy upgrade prices for ram :eek:) you may be right

Schizoid
Jun 5, 2012, 04:29 AM
If Apple no longer want to make the Mac Pro they MUST allow a niche official clone-maker to create something like them under licence...

never going to happen sorry...

I'd be happy with a virtualised Mac OS X Server running on your standard Windows box...

PBP
Jun 5, 2012, 04:33 AM
13inch MBP specs?

http://www.onemorething.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/specsmbp.png

Marx55
Jun 5, 2012, 04:35 AM
Hopefully with matte displays, at least as an option, even if more expensive:
MacMatte (matte petition)
http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Beliblis
Jun 5, 2012, 04:37 AM
I'm a believer :) I know the chips have been to for a while now. But maybe Apple are having issues with a total new redesign, possibly a VERY small one... (cooling issues, or noise,...) – or maybe the new redesign is so complex (smaller, better, nicer,...) that they need a bit more time?

Or – maybe the Mac Pro could be the "one more thing" that no-one expects.

Schizoid
Jun 5, 2012, 04:38 AM
13inch MBP specs?

Image (http://www.onemorething.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/specsmbp.png)

so...USB 3.... errr

macmastersam
Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 AM
what about the possibility of a new mac to the line up? with a build like a mac pro, but without the server hardware, but with high end third-generation Intel core i5s/i7s? and desktop graphics as well from both AMD and Nvidia, with upgradable internals like hard drives and ram? and with nearly the same price as the imacs, just without the monitor.

----------

13inch MBP specs?

:eek: is that your MBP box??

comatory
Jun 5, 2012, 04:49 AM
I just hope they update Mac Pro. Not that I use it personally but because I love working with my Pro apps - wouldn't like to see Apple steering away from real pro users. I know that update for Mac Pro isn't probably coming but still, it'd really make me happy even though I'm buying new Macbook Pro.

I know that some time down the line I'll be considering workstation for serious rendering, I'd like to have that option in the future (and not investing in Win software when I already have Mac versions).

kegler
Jun 5, 2012, 04:52 AM
The first wwdc without Steve but I guess Tim wouldnt deviate too much from Steve's vision for apple, he might fear steve might claw out of his grave to haunt him. Still, I hope to see some major change in apple. Apple is getting less exciting over e years and Windows is catching up, time to make some impact!

iMac pro? MacBook air pro? Mac mini pro? Haha

theluggage
Jun 5, 2012, 04:58 AM

"Retina" is important on iPads and Airs because you view them at close range.

The Cinema Display already has more pixels than the "retina" display on the iPad 3 - 2560x1440 c.f. 2048x1536 - and yet you typically view it from at least twice as far away so the pixels should look even smaller.

You don't look at a Cinema Display and shout "OMG! Pixels!" so you're going to see diminishing returns from increasing the resolution of a cinema display unless you make it physically larger. Roll on OLEDs and wrap-around displays... Hmm. the Apple IMAX Display (I can see a trademark dispute looking there :))

If Apple roll out USB3 (and if they're updating most of the range, this would be a good time) then they might update the Thunderbolt display to include USB3. An "Apple-y" thing to do would be to go all-USB3 rather than having a confusing mix of USB2 and superficially identical USB3 ports.

comatory
Jun 5, 2012, 04:58 AM
I know we're only guessing here and this pic could come from anywhere but I'm fearing that we won't see redesigned form factor after all, maybe not even Retina.

OR

They'll bump some specs for entry MBP 13" to keep it around for a while much like they do with iPhone 4 (and did with 3GS).

I'm beginning to be skeptic about the Retina... maybe BTO... I think they'll show completely different product with Retina - possibly new Thunderbolt Display that would have Apple TV built in or something along those lines.

13inch MBP specs?

frabber
Jun 5, 2012, 04:59 AM
Finally,

They should speed up bringing out new updates whilst maintaining (keeping out badd stuff) good product design.

it's like the updates are bottlenecked by upper management resources. please split divisions and higher extra personell to bring us these updates.
Or hire me!

It cannot be that we have 2 year outdated stuff on any product.

Best wishes.

tekno
Jun 5, 2012, 05:02 AM
13inch MBP specs?

Whilst I doubt these are the specs (USB3 for a start), the 500GB HDD has got me thinking: when are portable HDDs going to start increasing in size again?

It used to be that every year, the HDD had got significantly larger. But 250-500GB seems to have been the maximum for laptops for several years. When are we going to get 1-2TB in a laptop?

macandiPhone
Jun 5, 2012, 05:03 AM
Its good that 4 out of 5 Mac's can expect an upgrade. But its sad news for iMac users. Sarcastically, Mac Pro users can breath easy!!!!:)

mrxak
Jun 5, 2012, 05:04 AM
And one more thing....

The NEEEWWWW iMacProAirLisaPadPhone - it has all the power of everything apple *hick* *belch* has ever created EVER and it also comes with a 6ft stylus and 4" black and white display....
'said a very drunk Tim Cook, shortly after, his pants fell down and he passed out on stage, with drool excreting from his lips, clinging onto the apple remote

AAPL shoots up 5000 points.

omenatarhuri
Jun 5, 2012, 05:07 AM
My store (Finland) is not down and nothing new appears.

I did have a funny feeling this morning that Mac updates would happen today to leave keynote time for iOS stuff. Butt Apparently Not.

Josh M
Jun 5, 2012, 05:12 AM
Would love a slightly thinner Air with Ivy Bridge. Beyond that not expecting too much - probably a redesign to the Macbook Pro with a spec bump.

My hopes in WWDC lie in retina screens for Macs, Maps for iOS and Siri for iPad.

SBlue1
Jun 5, 2012, 05:16 AM
Oh please, let it be a cheaper Air!

GregA
Jun 5, 2012, 05:20 AM

Westyfield2
Jun 5, 2012, 05:22 AM
The current Mac Mini is fine for my needs, but I've been holding off buying until after WWDC just in-case.

PBP
Jun 5, 2012, 05:23 AM
The photo came from MIC Gadget (http://micgadget.com/26753/alleged-13-inch-macbook-pro-specs-leaked-from-chinese-forum-site)

808?
Jun 5, 2012, 05:27 AM
I am interested in 3 words:

New Mac Pro

mrmarts
Jun 5, 2012, 05:28 AM
This is going to big year for both apple and me, as i prepare to update my iPhone 4 and get a new macbook pro from a 13inch to a 15inch in fact the only thing i will be not changing this year is my first Imac which i got back in may 2010 as its still under applecare warranty and still working like a dream.

theluggage
Jun 5, 2012, 05:28 AM
I just hope they update Mac Pro.

I wouldn't write it off just yet - the Pro isn't a fashion accessory like the rest of the range - few people aren't going to buy a new model every year so its not a big deal that it gets less frequent updates. I also doubt that its such an expensive design challenge as the laptop and SFF range - Apple could build a "Pro" with fairly generic PC components (its basically what they did for the forst Intel Macs for developers).

However, Apple are only going to continue making them as long as there is a market. While there is a core of people who need the power of a Mac Pro, that core is being continually eaten away.

First, the iMacs and MacBook Pros are getting faster and faster and if Thunderbolt takes off, its going to reduce the need for internal expansion - they're going to be picking off the lower end of the Pro market. Lets face it, if you're developing iPad apps, you can use a MacBook Air with a big monitor.

Second, the higher end of the Pro market are going to be lured by big boxes full of GPUs that can do video encoding and rendering faster than any regular CPU.

Third, all levels of the pro market are going to be lured away by the prospect of cheap, commodity PC hardware that can be used to assemble custom systems. It's not like the good old days when PCs couldn't do graphics, DTP and video for toffee and there was no software for them. That part of Apple's market has been slowly dying since the 90s - the only reason Apple exist today is that they make nice laptops, SFF systems and consumer gadgets.

mrmarts
Jun 5, 2012, 05:32 AM
13inch MBP specs?

This leak has also been cited by engaget whose editor has questioned its validity

steveOooo
Jun 5, 2012, 05:37 AM
The first wwdc without Steve but I guess Tim wouldnt deviate too much

iMac pro? MacBook air pro? Mac mini pro? Haha

Well HP have he windows iMac pro out - the z1 - with apples obsession with thinness, I can't see them making a obese imac

neversink
Jun 5, 2012, 05:41 AM
Both my wife and I have been waiting patiently for a Mac Pro for different reasons. My wife needs it for heavy epidemiological statistics and mapping and scientific number crunching. I need it for my visual imaging business. The Boxx is so much more advanced that the current Mac Pro. We don't really want to leave Apple, but both of us need to make sure that our computer company regularly introduces cutting edge products. I don't understand why the wealthiest company in the world is failing to serve the people who stood by Apple when they were down and out.

Our small businesses depend upon being able to compete. If Apple no longer wants to be on the cutting edge of computing that is sad. But myself, and other professionals who need power, will be moving on. We can't afford not to.

JayJayAbels
Jun 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
Like I've already mentioned nearly a month ago... the official logo for this years WWDC told us everything we needed to know.

Retina displays for the whole Mac line up.

I think both the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro will be updated. But if I had to choose I'd simply go with the Mac Pro solely because of the length the line has gone without a refresh. I mean... I think that's just common sense.

With that said... as far as these so called "accessories" go... I'm thinking that is code for new (possibly optional?) retina displays. (For the Mac Mini and Mac Pro etc.)

Ivy Bridge, iOS 6, Mountain Lion and Retina displays are certain. The Apple TV is up there as well. What each will look like... is far too difficult to guess at this point.

Apple is the type of company that thrives on innovation. The synergy they bring is unparalled... although over the years MANY have attempted to copy. Even Microsofts new "Smart Glass" is just another example of that. (Although it does a bit more than Airplay - but it's SUPPOSED to being that it's had much time to catch up).

I like Tim Cook. I really do. I hope that someone slips him a few Red Bulls before he goes on stage though as his style could use a bit more "pep". It's tough to mimic the presence that Steve had... although... Tim has done a solid job so far.

I'd like to see Apple jump into the gaming console business. They have such quality products and lead in so many tech categories... I think software developers would jump at the chance to develop for them.

^ That last bit was SOLELY my opinion. I love my Xbox 360... but with new generation consoles just around the corner... it'd be interesting to see what Apple could toss into the fray.
;)

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
I'm willing to bet elevendy billion internets that we see new macs in 24 hrs .

hvfsl
Jun 5, 2012, 05:48 AM
Whilst I doubt these are the specs (USB3 for a start), the 500GB HDD has got me thinking: when are portable HDDs going to start increasing in size again?

It used to be that every year, the HDD had got significantly larger. But 250-500GB seems to have been the maximum for laptops for several years. When are we going to get 1-2TB in a laptop?
I don't see why they won't use USB3 as it should be on the Intel chipset the new Macs are using.

Liquinn
Jun 5, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hm, my Macbook Pro will be out of date. Hm. There's always something better around the corner. Ahh well. :L

comatory
Jun 5, 2012, 05:53 AM
I'm willing to bet elevendy billion internets that we see new macs in 24 hrs .

Wanna bet?

Nimrad
Jun 5, 2012, 05:57 AM
I'd like to see Apple jump into the gaming console business. They have such quality products and lead in so many tech categories... I think software developers would jump at the chance to develop for them.

^ That last bit was SOLELY my opinion. I love my Xbox 360... but with new generation consoles just around the corner... it'd be interesting to see what Apple could toss into the fray.
;)

Will most likely never happen. Consoles are sold at a big loss at the beginning of their launches. Apple will not enter such and industry, it's not in their DNA. What they might do is launch an app store on their apple tv-s. and that could lead to some games getting released there though.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 5, 2012, 05:58 AM
If true U.S. GDP will go up significantly this quarter b/c I and a whole lot of others have been waiting a long time for this moment. :D

Fantasy world here - but here's hoping Apple continues to bump up the power of the mini. I'd love to see it as a true iMac alternative w/ non Intel video AND Ivy Bridge QC + a couple of USB 3.0 and TB ports. Either that or make the iMac more user serviceable, but we all know those Apple days are sadly long gone.

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 06:00 AM
Wanna bet?

I didn't bet we'd see new mac pros. :D

On that note, I'm guessing everyone has gone non-functional mental considering the worries of whether or not Apple has forgotten about the Mac Pro users.

Make that non-functional mental and smoking pcp considering the worries of whether or not Apple has forgotten about the Mac Pro users while Tim Cook is the head master man dude guy.

So Elevendy billion internets we see new macs in 24 hrs and at least 3 or 4 internets we see a Mac Pro or similar between now and the next week. :D

sirozha
Jun 5, 2012, 06:00 AM
Geez I hope it's not 4 out of 5 because they plan on merging the Macbook pro and air, or just continuing to ignore Macpro.

I think that 13" MacBook Pro is going away. The new laptop lineup will be: 11", 13", 15", and 17". The 15" MacBook Pro has been redesigned with a slimmer body (probably by removing the DVD drive and the Ethernet port). Display resolutions on 11", 13", and 15" ones are probably "retina" grade, and all three are probably going to be called MacBook Air. The only MacBook Pro left is 17", which will retain the DVD drive and the Ethernet port.

I, for one, deplore Apple dropping Ethernet ports, but with 802.11ac imminent, even Gigabit Ethernet ports are redundant. For me, as a network engineer, the loss of Ethernet ports on 13" and 15" MacBooks means an extra Thunderbolt Gigabit adapter will be required. For most others, a new Airport Extreme / Time Capsule supporting 802.11ac will provide speeds close to Gigabit Ethernet without having to be tethered to Cat 5E or Cat 6 wiring.

tekno
Jun 5, 2012, 06:01 AM
I don't see why they won't use USB3 as it should be on the Intel chipset the new Macs are using.

I thought Apple were against USB3 in favour of Thunderbolt? If they're not, then why the hell haven't Macs had USB3 up until now? It's been around for at least three years for goodness sake.

Ray Bart
Jun 5, 2012, 06:03 AM
No, no , no. What Apple will do is buy Facebook. Tim Cook would move to COO and Mark Z would focus on products as the 21 st century heir to Steve Jobs. Together Apple-Facebook will be unbeatable. Mark Z is the new Steve Jobs ( whether starting in a garage or dorm room). Apple know this as Tim Cook is not a creative person - he is a dour, intelligent businessman. Apple need more than Ive who is full of self importance and cant do what Mark Z can.

boomish
Jun 5, 2012, 06:05 AM
Mac Pro FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

need I say any more...

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 06:07 AM
Will most likely never happen. Consoles are sold at a big loss at the beginning of their launches. Apple will not enter such and industry, it's not in their DNA. What they might do is launch an app store on their apple tv-s. and that could lead to some games getting released there though.

They tried to do the 3DO thing with their Pippin, back when the company was in it's "let's run this business like every other computer business" phase. I say it doesn't count.

However, if you want to get down to the nerdy gritty; game companies (especially Nintendo) are experiencing a big financial hit thanks to, specifically, iPads, iPhones and iPad Touch. Last time I played a video game, I was stoked because of the crappy voice acting tacked on to a cruddy FMV intro before controlling a space ship that shoots stuff while flying from left to right. So, I don't understand it, I just know what the business guys say.

HurryKayne
Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 AM
I thought Apple were against USB3 in favour of Thunderbolt? If they're not, then why the hell haven't Macs had USB3 up until now? It's been around for at least three years for goodness sake.

Because it wasn't an Apple decision but an Intel one,now the mobo supports both Usb 3 and Thunderbolt as well.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20053639-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
ps.Four lines ^^ macmini,macbook pro,imac,mac pro
mac air could slip to july-August...mac mini will stay dual core plus new Gpu(?),Imac will gain new Gpu,Cpu,Thunderbolt,Usb3 but no retina,Mac Book pro will have retina,nvidia,mac pro will slim down its size or will have a redesign and gains thunderbolt.Well ..i hope so.

fernan
Jun 5, 2012, 06:12 AM
well . i have hard time believing they will update all four products..

we'll see in a week..

Yetihunter
Jun 5, 2012, 06:21 AM
I heard they're dropping optical disc drives for Laseractive plugi-in modules.

geta
Jun 5, 2012, 06:22 AM
dont know way so many of you thinking the 13" MBP will be gone, the last years its the best seller in apple line...

the 13" pro and air are not the same animals... personally, i really need the extra power (stronger CPU, 16GB, 2 HDD\SSD...) and ports (firewire 800) the pro have, but in the same time its small enough to cary around...

at the moment im not in the market for new 13" MBP, still happy with my 2009 13"pro... waiting till they will have 4core CPU and matte screen, this will be a big jump forward for my needs... about the air, the day it will have 4core cpu, upgradeable memory, big SSD (at list 500GB) and cheaper price, then i'll start thinking about it... till then i'll stick with the 13" pro...
at the moment as i see it, the air is replacing the white macbook as an entry level for consumers...

now i do look forward for the new MacPro's, or the updated MacMini server (if the MacPro won't show up)... since my G5 died last october...

di1in
Jun 5, 2012, 06:32 AM
MacBook Pro 13-inch spec sheet leaks showing USB 3.0, 1280 x 800 resolution, and Ivy Bridge?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3065006/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-usb-3-spec-leak-rumor

HurryKayne
Jun 5, 2012, 06:34 AM
mmm...and what about to merge all laptop in one line?
MacbookAir 11,13 dual core,MacBookpro13,dual core+gpu,15,17quad core+gpu,retina.
All with Air design?
Because if they merge them we have 4 lines.
Laptop,Macmini,Imac,MacPro.

eddieaus
Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 AM
MacBook Pro 13-inch spec sheet leaks showing USB 3.0, 1280 x 800 resolution, and Ivy Bridge?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3065006/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-usb-3-spec-leak-rumor

how do we even know that is a Macbook PRO? it could be a new Macbook PLASTIC.

Liquinn

So I'm only missing out on USB 3 and Ivy Bridge? I don't really need USB 3 and Ivy Bridge isn't that much different over Sandy. I'll wait for Haswell.

7enderbender
For me this is the first time that I'm closely following any Apple announcements. I've always been a happy MS/PC user but the direction MS is going with Win 8 and the awful choices for laptop PCs these days I started looking into Mac - again. Last time I as due for major updates I came pretty close but then decided against it. Let's see if Apple can put it all together this time.

Hoping for a more powerful Mac mini or iMacs with better screens. If that works I may also get a high resolution 15" MBP as long as they don't drop the FireWire port again.

rdettogni
Jun 5, 2012, 06:37 AM
Any chances of an update for the iPod Classic near soon? A new HDD with same size but with higher storage capacity was released recently but was not incorporate in the iPod Classic.

I am waiting to buy a new one but afraid to buy it close to a near upgrade