Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benethlib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
So. I have a French film in .mkv format. All I want to do is convert it so that I can watch it, subtitled, on my iPhone. I know that this requires "hardcoding" the subtitles into the picture of the film, but I've been trying all day, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried MKVtools; I've tried Subler; I've tried Handbrake; I've tried FFmpegX; I've tried MPEG Streamclip; and I've tried them in various combinations. I feel like I've read every How To on the Internet. As of right now, all I have to show for it is a wasted day, a huge mess of half-working files, and a .m4v that will play with soft subtitles in iTunes but that won't load at all on my iPhone.

I'm about to (literally) hit a wall. Can someone please tell me—in layman's terms, if possible, since my comprehension decreases as my frustration increases—what I'm supposed to do? I'd so appreciate it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.