Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I haven't really played console games in a long time. Last was Gran Turismo 2 on the PS2 I bought when they first launched.

That said, I have a few questions as I'm feeling the itch to play again.

1. What consoles can I purchase older games on (Sega/Nintendo). I know this is possible on the Wii. Any other platforms?

2. I have a PS2 (not the same one as the original I bought). If I upgraded to a PS3 could I still play some of the PS2 games? I remember you could for a while but I think I heard they broke that with an update, but not quite sure.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I haven't really played console games in a long time. Last was Gran Turismo 2 on the PS2 I bought when they first launched.

That said, I have a few questions as I'm feeling the itch to play again.

1. What consoles can I purchase older games on (Sega/Nintendo). I know this is possible on the Wii. Any other platforms?

2. I have a PS2 (not the same one as the original I bought). If I upgraded to a PS3 could I still play some of the PS2 games? I remember you could for a while but I think I heard they broke that with an update, but not quite sure.

1. There are older games such as Sonic, GoldenAxe released on both PS3 & Xbox marketplaces. You can also buy compilation disks of older content such as the Sega Genesis Compilation. The Wii probably has a good few more older titles on its marketplace however I would recommend holding off purchasing a Wii until Nintendo fully unveil it's forthcoming Wii U console, due before the end of the year.

2. Only the first wave of 60GB PS3's had backward compatibility to read PS2 discs. You can download a selection of PS2 games on PS3 marketplace for $9.99 - but no way of playing your current discs on a new machine.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah we're approaching the end of a generation so I'd recommend against buying anything ATM unless you can get a good price on a used model.

You should be able to find plenty of used consoles on the market. Xboxs and PSs especially since those consoles have had a form factor refresh since their launch.

My all around favorite is the Xbox 360.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.