Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
I've downloaded OSX lion and I am attempting to create a boot disk for it. I set my source to 'InstallESD.dmg' and my destination to USB stick and press the 'restore' button. But, I seem to get an error saying :
'Could not restore - Invalid argument'
can anyone help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Carefully follow the instructions here step by step and it should work.

If you are getting that error message after following these instructions you may have a corrupted download and will need to redownload.

monkeywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
re: Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion

Hello, when I too the point where it says:
Right-click on the USB drive in Disk Utility and select “Restore

I get the drop down menu only with options:

Open "Lion USB Key"
Unmount "Lion USB Key"
Eject "Lion USB Key"
Reveal "Lion USB Key"

But, the other options: Information, First Aid, Erase, and Restore.
I can't see do I have to set an option in The OS somewhere.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think they are using Snow Leopard there, and that is why the difference. In place of that drop down, just click the Restore tab to the right.

This page makes it more clear.

monkeywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012

I've followed the instructions as you suggested but I still get the same error. I will download OSX Lion again and see if this works.

monkeywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012

Downloaded OSX Lion again still no luck can any expert advice?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hmmm... how about trying to use this app to make the USB key for you? That will take all the guess work out of it.

Have you formatted the USB key in Disk Util as Mac OS Extended?

monkeywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
re:Create a USB installer

thanks weaselboy that worked a treat, and thanks Lionmaker 1.7.

barstef

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Boot from Lion USB onto a clean drive

Hi, wonder if anyone can help please. I have MBK Pro gen 1 Intel, and have had to replace hard disk, the DU with Tiger does't like the block size on the disk and presents it as 8 x more than it is. Reading suggest booting from a newer version of OSX and have create a boot USB for Lion. do an alt power up with it in and it presents the Lion installer, click and it eventually goes to the no entry sign and switches off.. I suspect this is because the drive is not partitioned or formatted yet. So how do I get to the DU on boot up to do that with the Lion USB?

Thanks

barstef

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Once you get to to the installer screen click on the Utilities menu at the top and there you can select Disk Utility.

Thanks, but not sure I'm getting that far.. On the alt start I get the Lion image in the a square box in centre screen and a circle with an up arrow in it with the words "EFI Boot" in between, i click on the disk and it disappears and is replaced with the no entry sign and then eventually switches off..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, but not sure I'm getting that far.. On the alt start I get the Lion image in the a square box in centre screen and a circle with an up arrow in it with the words "EFI Boot" in between, i click on the disk and it disappears and is replaced with the no entry sign and then eventually switches off..

After you do the option key start and select the Lion install USB key, you should get to this screen and select Disk Util as shown. If you can't get that far, you may not have created your USB install key properly. Even with a completely trashed hard drive you would be able to get this far off just the USB key.

4zf9S.png

barstef

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
After you do the option key start and select the Lion install USB key, you should get to this screen and select Disk Util as shown. If you can't get that far, you may not have created your USB install key properly. Even with a completely trashed hard drive you would be able to get this far off just the USB key.

I have re partitioned and erased the USB again and loaded Lion back on using Lion Diskmaker, and still same result. Just downloading Lion again and will try again when that has done.. Thanks

barstef

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
I have re partitioned and erased the USB again and loaded Lion back on using Lion Diskmaker, and still same result. Just downloading Lion again and will try again when that has done.. Thanks

I downloaded mountain Lion overnight and build a boot USB key with it and same result, clicked button to get to install screen and just got the no entry sign prior to switching off.. Do you think the MBK might have something else wrong with it that is preventing it installing? Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I downloaded mountain Lion overnight and build a boot USB key with it and same result, clicked button to get to install screen and just got the no entry sign prior to switching off.. Do you think the MBK might have something else wrong with it that is preventing it installing? Thanks

That would be my thought at this point. Even with a completely blank drive installed you would still be able to boot from the installer and get to the screen I showed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.