Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Every day I visit these forums and I am seeing more and more Android related topics.

As an iPhone user when I come to MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone its the last thing I want to see cluttering up the forum.

I have nothing against Android and think its a perfectly decent platform. However its just getting out of hand. Its hampering my enjoyment of coming here and many of these topics just turn into a bit of a free for all willy waving contest.

I cant speak for everyone else on here but I have no interest in the latest Android related tech, if I did I would visit google and search for 'Android Forums'. I come to MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone to read about the iPhone.

As an example, its like visiting a BMW forum and being constantly bombarded by posts from Ford owners.

I see many posts removed each day and have to wonder why this is a trend that is allowed to continue. Id like to see MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone be about the iPhone and a sub forum created for Android related stuff (although I cant believe Im actually asking for this on an Apple forum).

Maybe one day I'll decide to buy an Android phone but until then I dont need any Android related information as this is MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

MacRumors, set some standards and clean up your forums by removing 'off topic' discussion. The forum is 'iPhone' not 'Android vs iPhone'.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
MacRumors, set some standards and clean up your forums by removing 'off topic' discussion. The forum is 'iPhone' not 'Android vs iPhone'.

You'll find posts about Android here and competing platforms because they ARE relevant to the iPhone.

People want to know how other devices and software in the market will impact on future iPhone and iOS releases.

I don't see you complaining that people talk about carrier-related issues. They're no more linked to the iPhone than Android is.

To quote the MacRumors FAQ:

"Our news and rumors will continue to reflect Apple's business, wherever that takes us. We also cover stories of widespread interest to our regular readers, such as news and speculation about major software developers and third-party product and service vendors closely associated with Apple or competing with Apple."

Last edited by a moderator:

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
As an example, its like visiting a BMW forum and being constantly bombarded by posts from Ford owners.

Really? Get off your high horse. Is it really just hard to just ignore any Android related threads? I'd venture a guess that they take up less than 1% of the threads posted here.

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
People are just starting to get sick of Apple's shenanigans. I know I am.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
People are just starting to get sick of Apple's shenanigans

Im not sure what shenanigans you are referring to, nor do I want you to start some lengthy explanation.

I know I am.

Is that not the point where leave MacRumors Forums and never return?

This is not some sort of general forum, its specific to the iPhone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Relax...It's a freakin iPhone rumor forum. How about they take away EVERY thread that is not associated with a rumor too?

I actually enjoy seeing threads about android devices. With a few exceptions, I think most non-iphone (andriod) threads can relate to iPhone in some form or fashion.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Im asking the admin's to keep an iPhone forum about iPhone. That's not exactly the same as posting 'Samsung Galaxy S3 destroys iPhone lulz' or some such garbage now is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
See, the problem is, Apple only releases a new model every two years and a refresh every year. Not a lot to talk about in between except for all the new models that are coming out from other manufacturers.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Im asking the admin's to keep an iPhone forum about iPhone. That's not exactly the same as posting 'Samsung Galaxy S3 destroys iPhone lulz' or some such garbage now is it?

If you see this kind of thread, you can report it. Threads with titles like that are trolling.

It's fine to post about competitors' products in the forum that's most closely related to the product. It's often interesting to get feedback and impressions from other Apple users, and sometimes threads compare Apple's product to that of a competitor.

Just don't click on threads that have to do with Android if you're not interested. If you click on one because the title was misleading, report the first post, explain, and we'll change the title to something more specific so that it's clear what the thread is about.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
How about a forum exclusively for iOS vs. Android topics? Again, it's to keep them all together in one place.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
How about a forum exclusively for iOS vs. Android topics? Again, it's to keep them all together in one place.

The point is to keep them in the thread most closely related to the device you want to discuss. If you want to discuss a competitor's phone and want input from iPhone users, you post in the iPhone forum. To make it easy for people to see what you're thread is about, you choose a descriptive title.

I think adding more forums specifically for this purpose is forum bloat without a benefit that can't be achieved by simpler means.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Failing to create a subforum for iOS/iPhone versus competitors simply irritates those of us who come here for discussion of the iPhone and do not particularly care about Android etc. This is particularly true since many of the posts about Android are insulting to iPhone users and frankly create a hostile environment. Also, there are occasionally Android posts by 'newbies' that appear to be ham-fisted attempts at marketing (Samsung).

In any case, I don't buy the argument that these types of posts belong in the iPhone forum because they are linked to the iPhone. Many people posting in this threads are trolling contrarians with no interest in the iPhone. At this rate pretty soon we'll have Android versus MS debates in the iPhone forum that are just as nasty as the existing Android threads....

Of course this matter could be settled by running a poll in the iPhone forum about where the appropriate place was for Android threads. Oh wait, we did that, and in spite of overwhelming majority favoring either a dedicated subforum (or banning Android-only threads altogether), nothing was done because the sample size was 'too small'. If anybody wishes to question this, then we could run the poll again.

Last edited:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Failing to create a subforum for iOS/iPhone versus competitors simply irritates those of us who come here for discussion of the iPhone and do not particularly care about Android etc. This is particularly true since many of the posts about Android are insulting to iPhone users and frankly create a hostile environment. Also, there are occasionally Android posts by 'newbies' that appear to be ham-fisted attempts at marketing (Samsung).

In any case, I don't buy the argument that these types of posts belong in the iPhone forum because they are linked to the iPhone. Many people posting in this threads are trolling contrarians with no interest in the iPhone. At this rate pretty soon we'll have Android versus MS debates in the iPhone forum that are just as nasty as the existing Android threads....

Of course this matter could be settled by running a poll in the iPhone forum about where the appropriate place was for Android threads. Oh wait, we did that, and in spite of overwhelming majority favoring either a dedicated subforum (or banning Android-only threads altogether), nothing was done because the sample size was 'too small'. If anybody wishes to question this, then we could run the poll again.

We need more polls. That'll fix it...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1153058/

Not

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

I don't want to sound cruel but this isn't a democracy. Just because the majority wants something does not mean that it will happen. In the end, Arn is the one doing decisions but of course admins will have their say as well. This doesn't mean that we don't listen to feedback, we have gotten lots of good suggestions from our members. However, there are always sides that the users don't necessarily see.

This topic is nothing new, it has just been revived. Before it was Mac vs PC threads, which still take place in Mac sub-forums. Yes, some people asked for specific sub-forums but none was created. At least right now the situation isn't terrible - in fact there have been many very objective Mac vs PC threads that I've personally enjoyed.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
We need more polls. That'll fix it.

Heaven forbid that the MR readers would actually have input that would actually change anything in MR. :rolleyes: In any case you're sarcasm is justified: The poll has been done, and in that poll about 3/4ths of the people who responded didn't like the current situation, and it solved nothing because nothing came of it.

I don't want to sound cruel but this isn't a democracy.... At least right now the situation isn't terrible - in fact there have been many very objective Mac vs PC threads that I've personally enjoyed.

I understand that MR is run by the admins and not the readers. However, if we don't ask we don't get. While the hands-off approach might have worked for the Mac vs PC threads, it hasn't worked so well for the Android versus iOS threads - as I noted above there is a lot of trolling and bickering that leaves a bad impression. The current top iPhone thread is 'Iphone or Android what type of person are you? ' and already there are some pretty prickly posts....

Last edited:

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012

I cound't agree more with this post. If someone wants to do a comparison thread, put it in a comparison forum. They end up being pissing matches (which is the intent a lot of times) of iOS vs Android.

I do think there should be a small sub-forum for those who wish to discuss Android. I have only been here a short time and have already been belittled and berated for switching from Android to iPhone. I have also learned in my short time here the names or 3 or 4 iOS haters that only post to incite a flame war. If I can pick them out so easily why have the mods not banned them already? They are not contributing anything to this forum, only detracting from it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I cound't agree more with this post. If someone wants to do a comparison thread, put it in a comparison forum. They end up being pissing matches (which is the intent a lot of times) of iOS vs Android.

I do think there should be a small sub-forum for those who wish to discuss Android. I have only been here a short time and have already been belittled and berated for switching from Android to iPhone. I have also learned in my short time here the names or 3 or 4 iOS haters that only post to incite a flame war. If I can pick them out so easily why have the mods not banned them already? They are not contributing anything to this forum, only detracting from it.

Trust me, it runs both ways. You have Droid haters just posting stuff about anything Droid to see what kind of reaction they can get.

We've discussed this issue before. The admin of MR seem to think there is no value from adding a new sub-forum. In some ways, that's probably true. Trolls are going to troll, for one thing. Also, based on the ability of many on here to even search, the probability is that you're going to still get threads started in the iPhone forum, which just leads to more mod work. Finally, the site wants to stay centered on everything Mac, and if too many sub-forums got created like that, the site would eventually just be Rumors.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Trolling and bickering is a problem in all forums here, not only the forum being discussed at the moment - take it from those of us who moderate. ;)

1. If you see a thread you believe is a trolling thread, report it.
  2. If you see a thread with a title that indicates it's about something you're not interested in, don't click on it. Instead of being upset that there are threads you're not interested in, just ignore them.
  3. If you see a thread where you felt the title mislead you to believe the thread was about something else, report the first post and we'll change the title to something more accurate.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Trust me, it runs both ways. You have Droid haters just posting stuff about anything Droid to see what kind of reaction they can get.

LOL ! It's an iOS-centric site. If I want to talk Android I go to an Android forum. I would never come to an iOS site to talk Android or vice-versa. That's just dumb.

Besides, if there were no Android trolls here there would be no one to get a reaction from. If you take away the root of the problem you take away the problem all together.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Seems to me that the Admins and Mods are great at listening to member complaints and issues but in the end, it's always the same; report more posts.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

We've discussed this issue before.... Finally, the site wants to stay centered on everything Mac, and if too many sub-forums got created like that, the site would eventually just be Rumors.

What you say is true about the rabid anti-Android crowd, for they certainly contribute to the mean-spirited debate. However, the site is already losing focus. At one point 5 of the top 6 threads in the iPhone forum had nothing to do with the iPhone. I admit this is rare, since the threads shuffle about a lot. I also admit Android-related threads are popular, for they do rise to the top (no hidden meaning intended here). I just think the forum would be better organized with an appropriate subforum.

Last edited:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
What you say is true about the rabid anti-Android crowd, for they certainly contribute to the mean-spirited debate. However, the site is already losing focus. At one point 5 of the top 6 threads in the iPhone forum had nothing to do with the iPhone. I admit this is rare, since the threads shuffle about a lot. I also admit Android-rekated threads are popular, for they do rise to the top (no hidden meaning intended here). I just think the forum would be better organized with an appropriate subforum.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but just reporting what the outcome of the last "discussion" about this topic resulted in.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
LOL ! It's an iOS-centric site. If I want to talk Android I go to an Android forum. I would never come to an iOS site to talk Android or vice-versa. That's just dumb.

Besides, if there were no Android trolls here there would be no one to get a reaction from. If you take away the root of the problem you take away the problem all together.

I hear that you feel otherwise, but as has been pointed out this issue has been brought up earlier, and this is the decision we reached. If you follow the three steps I outlined in my previous post, you should be fine.

Seems to me that the Admins and Mods are great at listening to member complaints and issues but in the end, it's always the same; report more posts.

We do listen, and we spend quite a bit of time discussing suggestions. But we have to take the whole picture into consideration, and we won't always do what's suggested. We don't forget what's been suggested, though, and sometimes those particular changes ARE made - just farther down the line, when we've had more time to observe and weigh the pros and cons. Also, circumstances can change, and suggestions that were previously voted down sometimes become much more relevant later on.

You also have to remember that the opinions expressed in a given thread don't necessarily reflect the wishes of the entire membership.

As for reports, yes, they do make a difference on a site with tens of thousands of posts daily. We need members to be our eyes. Ironically we often find that a member might protest about (for example) trolling in a public thread, without ever having sent a post report for a trolling post (speaking generally here).

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Speaking personally I believe this is a Mac forum. Thus the name MacRumors.

I don't think discussing any other phone other than the iPhone even belongs here. If someone wants to discuss Droids or google phones let them go to a different forum designed for that product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.