Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goliah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
London, England
I have a four year old MacBook, 13inch, white and now system profiler is telling me it's time for a replacement.

Looking around at all the sources and prices for replacement, I was just wondering what the differences are, if any, between, third party replacements that start at about £20 on Ebay and original Apple replacements that start at £45 to over £100 at a my local Apple store?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Apple does no magic with their batteries, but some of the cheap suppliers sell real crap.

If you want to save money, search around for where other people bought their replacement batteries to find a good supplier.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I'd go with a original Apple battery any time. Those chinese branded batteries degrade must faster. I had a chinese battery for a white MacBook once and the damn thing was at 90% health after 20 cycles.

They also, sometimes, have different colours (different sort of white used).

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Apple batteries are hit and miss enough from that era, so I would be even less certain of a cheaper third party alternative.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Been there, done that. Get what you pay for. Non-Apple batteries are a real crapshoot.

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
It's a roll of the dice on non-apple batteries. On the iBook I have, one lasted a few months....this one is still going strong after several months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.